Skip navigation

3487 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2011 7:03 PM by PhillyPointGuardCamp
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2010 4:14 PM

4 Tips for Selecting a Summer Basketball Camp Reviews

Share your comments on 4 Tips for Selecting a Summer Basketball Camp below back to the article page.

• KswissKilla Rookie 1 posts since
    May 4, 2010

who are you choosing in the nba finals?

• coachmm Amateur 35 posts since
    May 5, 2010

I am currently a JUCO coach and have been coaching for 20 years.  I have been all over the country and seen many camps.

4.     Nike Coaches Clinics - Still good but have dropped in quality.  You get less now than you did 10 years ago.

3.      5 Star Camps - Great for exposure and competition.  In my opinion this should be your last camp, 11th or 12 th grade. You are able to gauge   where you are at compared to other players your age.  Needs work on teaching aspect yet, Superb, knowledgeable, friendly staff.

Five-Star was originally opened for the top players in the country. Today, Five-Star continues to attract the nation’s best talent; however they have re-designed the camp several years ago to ensure there is a place for players of all skill levels. Players  in grades 5 - 8 welcomed.

2.    DON MEYER Camps -   Coach Meyer is  the best-kept secret in basketball.  Despite passing Bobby Knight, Dean Smith and Adolph Rupp on  the all-time NCAA men’s college basketball coaching victory list.  One of the best teachers in the game, I can't get enough of his incite.

1.     Point Guard College - I have learned so much in the last three years.  The staff is amazing, the content is great.  It is an intense training opportunity geared toward  mature, dedicated and eager-to-learn athletes.  Point Guard College (PGC) is a no-nonsense learning experience  for junior high school to college-aged male and female  student-athletes.  This is not your typical basketball camp.  It's called a “college” for a reason.  If you do not want to work to get better then go somewhere else.

Don't let the name fool you! PGC  is open to players of all positions. PGC believes everyone  should have the mindset of a point guard because everyone has the  capacity to influence the group and be a playmaker.

The  multi-course curriculum is specially designed to teach basketball  players to play the game intelligently, to train purposefully, and to be  true leaders during games, in practice, during the off-season, and in  everyday life. I share this with you because I personally attended and  the program had a big impact on me.  I also had the opportunity to see  how it impacted the skills and approach of the athletes that attended.   In my 20 years of coaching I have not seen a better camp.

This summer,  PGC will be offering 45 sessions across the United States and Canada. I  urge you to consider optimizing your off-season development by  attending Point Guard College. There are three (3) courses for you to  choose from 2010: THE PREP SCHOOL, THINK  THE GAME, and ESSENTIALS.

(1)  The Prep School: Geared toward athletes in the  7th-10th grades.  Learn more at www.pointguardcollege.com/pgc/prep-school

(2) Think  The Game & (3) Essentials: Focused on  serving student-athletes in the 9th grade to right up to college-aged  athletes. More info is available online: Think The Game - www.pointguardcollege.com/pgc/think-the-game   / Essentials - www.pointguardcollege.com/pgc/essentials

By  attending a course this summer, you can learn skills and concepts to  take your game to the next level. None of the courses are 'better' than  any other. Each course just has a different focus. All of the courses  use a "See It, Hear It, Do It" format; that is, a combination of video  analysis, in-class learning and on-court instruction. Ultimately, that  is what makes the content and teaching unlike any experience you’ve had  before.

Log  on to their website at www.pointguardcollege.com to get more info on PGC and read what graduates who have gone on to play  college and professional basketball have to say about its impact on  them.

Once  you’re ready to register for a course, use the PROMO CODE: "AMBP2".  By entering this code, you will  automatically be entered into a drawing to win back your tuition.

I can’t  wait to hear all about your experience at PGC! If you have any  questions, I’d be glad to answer them for you.

Best regards,

Edgar  Medinilla

East Region Representative
    Los Angeles Basketball  Coaches Association

PGC COACH AMBASSADOR

"I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice."

-Allen Iverson

• Rick..C2E Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    3. May 31, 2010 11:14 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 4 Tips for Selecting a Summer Basketball Camp Reviews

Good post by Joe Haefner on an important summer topic. Also, agree with Edgar Medinilla that the Point Guard College is a must consideration for serious players. Most of the players I train have attended PGC.

Too many players only play AAU tournaments in the summer (where they get limited touches on the basketball). They miss out on opportunities to develop and enhance their skills..need to balance skill work with game play.

Rick Allison

LoneStar Basketball Academy

http://www.lonestarbasketball.com

[[[ C2E ]]]

• Born2Ball5 Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010

I kind of like the idea of not going to camp. I think I might go get a trainer instead of going to camps and just get better and prepare for the AAU circuit so when I do go to camp I'll dominate the competition. If you have any info on good basketball trainers in the Delaware-Pennsylvania area please comment or inform me. Thanks

• PhillyPointGuardCamp Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2010

Coachmm has excellent suggestion. Personally, for the basketball player, boy or girl, who has a passion for the game and wants to understand the game a lot better while testing themselves against excellent competition, Point Guard College is the place to go. Dena Evans runs a top-rate program what is worth every penny.

Born2Ball5: I am the owner and director of Philly Point Guard Camp and we are in Wilmington, West Chester, Media, Glen Mills, Hatboro and Willingboro, NJ. How old are you? We are currently running our Player Development in Wilmington, West Chester and Glen Mills. If you are interested, feel free to call me at 215-806-7757 or contact me at mark@phillypointguardcamp.com. We are part trainer, part camp, but our main focus is helping you get better. Hope to hear from you soon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...