Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3362 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2011 8:11 PM by ORcoastrunner RSS
weenafaye Pro 57 posts since
Nov 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 9, 2011 2:31 PM

Saucony Kinvara

Has anyone tried the Saucony Kinvaras yet? What did you think?

Alicia 

PR's

Clear Lake Turkey Trot 10k Nov 2009 - 1:05

Dallas White Rock Half Dec 2009 - 2:38:02

Ellis County CASA 5k Nov 2010- 29:08

• pamburrus Pro 136 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    1. Mar 21, 2011 5:31 PM (in response to weenafaye)
    Re: Saucony Kinvara

My friend Heather and I are going Thurs to try them!!!!   I know that's not the answer you were looking for but I'll let you know then

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Beat the Street for Little Feet 5k: 26:34

Big Peach Sizzler 10K: 52:21

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Soldier Marathon: 4:09:16 (first and only so far...)

Check our our nation-wide running group for moms!

www.momsrunthistown.com or https://www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Mar 22, 2011 9:50 AM (in response to weenafaye)

I've worn my Kinvaras in a 10-mile race and 2 half-marathons, and I'm a Clydesdale.

Positives -- light weight, good cushioning, decent outsole wear, breathable upper, good price (a friend just bought a pair for $41).

Negatives -- even though cushioned, these are "low drop" shoes that can place extra stress on your calves and achilles tendons; the uppers may not fit well (I know a runner whose little toe wore through the uppers), the ride is not "stable" (which may or may not be a negative for you).

Believe it or not, I've not heard anyone complain about the life of the midsole or outsole.

For me, the positives outweigh the negatives.  I like them so much that I've bought the trail version, the Peregrines.

Surfing Vol

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

May 14, 2008
    5. Mar 24, 2011 2:38 PM (in response to weenafaye)

I tried them on and liked them - I had to order my size so I can't go for a run in them tonight   But you can read my review and initial reaction to them here:

http://momsrunthistown.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-of-saucony-kinvara.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

• Marklemcd Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 23, 2011
    6. Mar 25, 2011 5:40 AM (in response to weenafaye)

Fantastic shoe with excellent cushion despite it's lightweight nature.  If you're neutrl the only question is whether you like the fit.  If you're not neutral you can try the new Saucony Mirage as it's a stable shoe built on a similar platform.

Real World Running Reviews

• Marklemcd Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 23, 2011
    7. Mar 25, 2011 5:42 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

I'd say they will only place stress on your calves and all thatt if you're used to shoes that are very built up.  The Kinvara is really a more natural shoe and that "stress" is really just using muscles that have atrophied and are now being worked again.  Work them in right and it's a good thing.

Real World Running Reviews

• michellemtbc Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 26, 2008
    8. Apr 2, 2011 9:46 PM (in response to weenafaye)

I love them!  I always have issues with shoes--I supinate and have arches that are on the high side.  When I run in the wrong shoe I have lots of issues with my hip/piriformis.  The Kinvara might be the best shoe I have run in so far (and I have tried lots of shoes!).  I think that it is because they get out of the way of my feet and let them do what they want to do naturally.  I also love that they do not have much of a heel drop (where the heel of the shoe is higher than the ball of the foot/toe box).  I have not gone longer than 7 miles in them (I use a different shoe for longer runs), but I think that I might take them on a longer run soon.

• aj01 Pro 143 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    9. Apr 2, 2011 11:13 PM (in response to weenafaye)

I really like them.  I currently have 3 pairs if that tells you how much.  You may want to ease into them if you're used to typical trainers.  I've worn them for a 1/2 and could tell by the end that I was in a lighter shoe but no lasting pain or injury, about what you would normally expect after a 13 mile race.  I'm 160 lbs. if that matters.  I've seen some heavier runners use them too.  They're good if you're a mid/forefoot striker or working towards that but they still have enough cushion that you can heal strike if you don't overstride alot.  I would strongly recommend at least trying them.

May 14, 2008
    10. Apr 21, 2011 6:09 PM (in response to weenafaye)

Well - you never heard my review because they have been sitting in the box for the past two weeks.  I can't bring myself to take them outside because they hit my ankle bones in a weird space and just walking around the house they drive me nuts.  I'm afraid to take them outside because I'm afraid if it annoys me inside just wearing them around it will drive me NUTS on a run - and possibly even cause blisters.

But that's just me... I'm going to a store to try on Newtons and see if they feel the same as my 3 year old pair.... If they do I'm thinking I'm going to bite the bullet and buy them again because I LOVE my old pair.

Deep sigh.........  Oh - but other than that one ankle problem I loved them.  They felt SUPER light weight and like they would be great.   Even tried to unlace them a little to see if I could avoid the problem....  but hopefully your ankle bones aren't as big and sensitive as mine hahhaa.

My PR's (post kid haha)

• rossrun4fun Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 30, 2008
    11. May 6, 2011 9:25 PM (in response to pamburrus)

Was going to skip by this post but noted your comment about the shoe hitting your ankle in an odd way. I had that happen with my second pair of Kinvanas but jI ust bandaided the area that the shoe was hitting and trained through it. I switched to the Saucony Kinvara from my Mizuno shoes, which I had worn through a couple of marathons and half-marathons, after I developed my first case of plantar fiscitis. During some of that timeframe I also tried barefoot running and liked it. So, I reasoned that lighter was better but wasn't ready to do marathons in my Vibram five fingers. I switched to the Saucony Kinvana for my last marathon. My PF seemed to improve during training but I can't say it was the shoe although I didn't rest or take any other measure to recover the PF problem. My first pair was very comfortable and whenever I tried to wear a pair of my older shoes after wearing the Kinvanas it felt like runnig with bricks tied to my feet. So I've stayed with the lighter shoe and even tacked a 50-mile run in them. I wouldn't expect the Kinvanas to last as long as other shoes with more support though. That's my experience. Good luck.

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    12. May 21, 2011 8:11 PM (in response to weenafaye)

I bought a pair of the Kinvaras a few weeks ago, and I really like them.  I should add a caveat that I am a new runner and know very little about shoes.  I started running in Nike Free 5.0s, because I had bought a pair of them last summer for traveling (very lightweight and easy to pack!)  I originally bought the Nikes just for walking, and found them very comfortable for that, so when I started the Couch to 5K program, I started out in the Nikes.  A few weeks after completing C25K (about 15 weeks into my entire running career!), my running buddy and I went to the running store to have the gait analysis done and get new shoes.  The salesperson told me that although I do overpronate a bit, she thought that if I was running pain free in the Nike Frees (and really loving the lightweight shoe), I should stick with something similar.  She suggested the Kinvaras as lightweight and flexible, but with a little more cushioning than the Nike Frees, as we were working up to a very hilly and challenging 10K.  I have now been running in them a few weeks, and they are great!  Very lightweight, very breathable, and I have no problems with rubbing or hot spots in them.  Again, I am about as novice as they come, but I have been very pleased so far.

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points