Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3224 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2011 9:17 AM by NorCal02466 RSS
shawnmilar Rookie 7 posts since
Mar 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 18, 2011 11:50 AM

New Here - Looking to Lose Weight

Hi all!  I just joined here with the help from a fried who recommended it.  I am new to this and kind of excited to start interacting and to help me get through this.  I am about 30 lbs over weight and have not worked out in about 10 years.  I work from home and just have not been too active in a long time.  Well things are about to change!!  I just signed up for the Encinitas, CA 5k in a couple of months and am looking forward to it.  My goal is to get out and be active 3 - 4 times a week and "get back into it".  I believe that this is the right place to help me with the motovation I need.  I just wanted to say thank you and I really look forward to sharing my progress!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 18, 2011 5:56 PM (in response to shawnmilar)
    Re: New Here - Looking to Lose Weight

Congrast for taking the step to be healthy! I would start the c25k, you run 3 days a week for 9 weeks. People have gone from the couch to running a 5k or 30 minutes following this plan. good luck!

• Khodges360 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 29, 2009
    2. Mar 18, 2011 6:55 PM (in response to shawnmilar)

I am new also.  I would really like to find a running partner in this area.  I could loose about 30 lbs and would really even like to join a local running group - just afraid no one would run as slow as me.  Everyone appears to be very fit and runs like the wind and I would be bringing up the rear.  I just know I feel better when I run on a regular basis. Have signed up for the Turtle Run on Siesta Key the 1st weekend in April to support the environment. Have to start somewhere.  Karen Hodges

Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 20, 2011 9:11 PM (in response to Khodges360)

Khodges360- I'd be your running partner but I'm in Gator Country

• Mojd80 Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    4. Mar 21, 2011 5:50 PM (in response to shawnmilar)

Hi all,

I signed up today and am looking to lose A LOT more than you guys! I am trying to lose about 100lbs. I am also signed up for a 5K in my town for May 1. If there is anyone in the Western Mass area looking for a workout partner let me know. Thanks

Dave

Derrill's Race 5K walk/run     Easthampton, Ma    May1, 2011

Dec 14, 2007
    5. Mar 22, 2011 7:34 PM (in response to Mojd80)

Hi Dave, Good Luck with your 5K!

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    6. Mar 22, 2011 7:46 PM (in response to shawnmilar)

I am looking to lose 50-60 lbs.  I am using running to work towards that, but trying to make a huge life change for myself towards just being active each day.  I have set a goal of running 50 races for my 50 years, but the term "running" is being used losely here.......sloggin forward.  After finding this website, I find that so many of the threads fit my life.  Slow, committed to the 100 day activity challenge, and looking for encouragement so I won't quit.

Good for you to jump in and move each day.  Looking forward to hearing of your day to day success comments 

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

Dec 14, 2007
    7. Mar 22, 2011 8:12 PM (in response to reddolp50)

Good Luck!

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    8. Mar 23, 2011 12:31 PM (in response to shawnmilar)

I just wanted to say "Way to go!!!" to shawn and the others who have decided to lose weight.  I lost 45 pounds myself using Weightwatchers - No, this is not an endorsement of that program.  It worked for me is all I can testify to, along with getting more active.  After I had lost about 20 pounds I started a walking regimen and I got good at it.  Up to the point where it hurt to walk fast so I decided to start running a little.  I set a 5K goal for myself and achieved it, walking and running the course - I had not heard of C25K but I guess I was doing something similar to it.  Atempted a few more 5Ks and then went for a half marathon, and I did it!!  I have since found a running club locally to join, and the group has been very helpful, as this site has been helpful as well.  Keep up all of the good work you have done so far.  Come in here to share your stories, your successes and even your failures.  No one is perfect and we'll all have stumbles in life, but there are a lot of people here who will help pick you up and encourage you to get going again.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Mar 23, 2011 12:58 PM (in response to LPARafael)

Congrats for losing 45lbs! 

• SnackerChris Pro 163 posts since
    Dec 8, 2010
    10. Mar 24, 2011 10:28 AM (in response to shawnmilar)

Running is an awesome way to accelerate weight loss and body change in general!  Coupled with the right eating habits, there are few other things that help your burn as many calories in the same time as running!  Go for it!

FLIP THE SWITCH! If I can lose 130 pounds in a year without pills or surgeries or food programs, so can you!

Snacks All The Weigh Down

---

Began 2010 @ 325lbs - Never even ran to dinner EVER before!

Started C25K Sept/2010 (239 lbs) - Graduated Nov/2010 (216 lbs)

First Official 5K - Frosty 5K 12/11/2010 - 25:57.8 (211 lbs)

Living for Zachary Heart Run 5K - 10/22/2011 - 22:34 (202 lbs) PR

Salute American Heroes 10K - 11/12/2011 - 47:48 (202 lbs) PR

Dallas White Rock Half Marathon - 12/4/2011 - 1:57:39 (202 lbs)

Leaping Leprechauns 15K - 3/10/2012 - 1:15:35 (210 lbs) PR

Big D Half Martahon - 4/15/2012 - 1:57:51 (215 lbs - felt it) PR

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathalon - 7/21/2012 - 25:18 on the 5K run piece (209 lbs)

• Mojd80 Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    11. Mar 28, 2011 8:55 AM (in response to SnackerChris)

Hi Chris,

Just checked your blog and now a follower. I've been a yo-yo dieter for years and decided as a New Year's resolution to be more active and more healthy. I am glad you are doing so well and are going to follow you for tips and hints. My daughter, who really doesn't need to diet, is also trying to eat healthier so I will be passing along your blog and recipes to her. Thanks! I was in Texas for 2 years and 3 years while in the military, don't really miss the heat!! LOL  Keep cool and healthy!!

Dave M

Derrill's Race 5K walk/run     Easthampton, Ma    May1, 2011

• NorCal02466 Amateur 28 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    12. Mar 28, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to shawnmilar)

Hi Shawnmilar - In addition to the other great suggestions in this discussion, I can also recommend the new book from the Runners' World people - "Run Your Butt Off" - it's a good diet and running program (similar to C25K, with sound dietary guidance).

NO, I don't work for Rodale or RW, and I just speak for myself - I got the book, read it, and like it.   NC

NorCal02466

"And if you don't give up, and don't give in, you may just be OK"... Mike and the Mechanics

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...