Skip navigation

2718 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2011 6:33 PM by ballin3000 RSS
starplayer102 Expert 52 posts since
Mar 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2011 3:42 PM

do you think that i could make my middle school A team

I'm 5'6 and a forward on my elementery school team i can make almost every jump shot and layup i also can dribble pretty good and practice every day. but i don't know if i'll be a forward next year because i have a friend on the team hows 5'11 so i don't know how much of a chance i have on getting on the team and if i'm not a foward i've never been a guard.

• ECAballer Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 23, 2011

Yes but if u don't don't worry about it!  ur just going in and will have plenty of chances to make it and middle school basketball is not a reliable indicator of future success anyway...  i went to a school with no team until eighth grade then sat on the bench my whole eigth grade season and my first year of high school with the same people i had been playing with plus some sophomores, i started junior varsity so if you don't make it don't get discourtaged just keep working hard

• BeatTheBest Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011

First of all, Yes you can. Just keep practicing every day, practice at least 2 to 5 hours a day during the summer. I've got one question though. Are you a small forward or a power forward. If you're a power forward, I recommend practicing on your post moves, and close to basket shots. Baby hooks, hooks, fakes, stuff like that. Also, practice on your free throws because you'll probably get fouled a lot. If you're a small forward, then practice shots all around the court. A small forward is like the all-around player on the team and should be able to play almost every other position. You should be able to handle the ball in tough situations, shoot 3s and close shots, rebound and be a good defender.

BUT here are things a coach wants out of every player.

1) During tryouts always run/play/do every drill like it's life or death. Even if you're tired. Trust me it helps a LOT cuz the coach sees dedication in you.

2) Do NOT do something that's out of your position, or something you can't do. And do NOT try to show off (Make "cool" passes, stuff like that) cuz coaches hate that.

3) Come early and stay late. Shows dedication and coaches love it.

4) Stay on top of your grades. Coaches hate when their players cant play cuz of bad grades.

P.S. Reply if you need more info.

P.S.S I think you have a pretty good chance of making the team.

• 23AirJordan Legend 607 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011

I am going through the same team. I'm only 5"1 and next year is our school team. But what helps me is working on ball handling which will make you a great forward because not many forwards have really good ball handling skills. Don't be a ball hog and pass to the guy who has the better shot than you in tryouts because coaches love that. Work on jumphooks, layups, and get some friends to double team you down low so you can work on getting shots off when you're really covered.

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."-Michael Jordan

• CoAcHbRoOkS37 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011

What's up Star? First of all I am a middle school basketball coach and have been coaching basketball for roughly about 17 years.

On this level it is all about the fun and enjoyment one can receive from participating in this great game of ours,Moreover you're probably going to hear all kinds of "solutions" for your question except there is only one that provides the most consistent outcome. And it will be the outcome that you seek. To be absolutely sure of your success is to outwork everyone on that court. Dont focus so much on whether youre going to be a 3,4, or 5 because thats for your coaches to decide and regardless of what you want versus where they think you will help the team the most guess which one wins out. Therefore keep these priorities close to you and you will always be successful not just in the game of basketball but also life. In this order: Faith,Family,Academics,Basketball. Remember you are a student-athlete not an athletic student. Also keeping these values shows coaches that you are serious about being out there and achieving your individual goals but only for the benifit of the team as a whole. Makes sense? Remeber everytime you have an opportunity to showcase your talents you must always approach it with a "leave no doubt mentality." Make coaches think where do we need him the most other than why havent I cut this kid yet. Concentrate on these few things and above all practice everyday of every week of every month every year. Do these things and I will personally guarantee that you will not only make your A team but any team you decide to tryout for. Hope these ideas help  goodluck and God bless.

CoAcH BrOoKs

• Sabrinahartz Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011

you need to work harder then. Show the coaches that you have what it takes to be on A team. Not all coaches are looking for shooters and stuff they are looking for good attitude and the heart you have for the sport. Each person has there own strengths in basketball that will get them on A team. JUst work hard like I did last year. I was a 6th grader and made girls A team. WORK HARD AND SHOW WHAT YOU GOT AND YOU HAVE A GREAT CHANCE OF BEING ON A TEAM BUT LAYUPS ARE IMPORTANT TO NOT JUST JUMP SHOTS

LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS OH AND HERES A PIC OF ME

\/

• ThatClutchShooter Pro 55 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011

Just because he is taller than you doesn't make him a better player. Just show your coach you want that spot at the forward postion work hard every practice hustle every play and you will get that spot no problem. Good luck

• ballin3000 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010

im going 2 seventh grade and im 5'5 and play 2G, if u go hard at tryouts u will make the team

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points