Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1927 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2011 7:20 PM by camcat82
glassgirl33 Amateur 17 posts since
Mar 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2011 2:00 PM

Frustrated by Setback

I need some encouragement or I'm in danger of quitting my C25K program.  I was at Week 5 and SLOWLY getting through the running segments.  Six days ago I had carpal tunnel surgery with general anesthetic and my efforts to get through Week 6 have been pretty frustrating.  I find that I don't have the stamina to jog through the running segments and I end up walking.  The wrist I had surgery on throbs painfully about halfway through the workout and it seems like my lung capacity has done an about-face and is going downhill. 

I don't know whether to go back a couple of Weeks and redo Weeks 5 & 6 or just keep slogging my way through the current workouts, running as best I can and walking when I have to.  Anybody got any insight as to why my body has decided to reverse course instead of progressing?

• Jomarie237 Expert 46 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    1. Mar 23, 2011 2:12 PM (in response to glassgirl33)
    Re: Frustrated by Setback

Go back a couple weeks.  The anesthesia takes about a month to get out of your system.  Don't give up just ease back into it.

Scheduled Runs:

Gambler 5k -- May 22, 2011

Warrior Dash KC  -- July 30, 2011

Council Bluffs 1/2 Marathon -- October 30, 2011

Ultimate Goal:

Marine Corp Marathon -- October 2012

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Mar 23, 2011 2:53 PM (in response to Jomarie237)

I wouldn't give up! there was a guy on walk trail close to where I live that had some kind of arm or hand surgery  because he ran with his arm in a sling( there was no cast). maybe that is something you could look into doing so it won't throb while you run.

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    3. Mar 23, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to glassgirl33)

I agree with Jomarie.  The anesthesia can wreak havoc on the body.  Also, your body probably went into shock mode for the few days because of the trauma done.  It's actually not surprising to now be feeling worse.  My mom had her hip replaced last year-- for the first three days she felt GREAT.  Day 4 hit and she was pretty miserable.  Give your body time to heal- it's been through an ordeal, you're not regressing.

<hugs>

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Mar 23, 2011 6:07 PM (in response to freesia777)

+1 on the previous posts.  It takes time to get over the anesthesia, and it will probably be a few weeks before your arm stops throbbing.  Do what you can, but don't be surprised if it stays hard for a while.  You may be better off doing something like elliptical or stationary bike for a couple weeks, if you have those available.

I had a kidney infection once that required placing a stent between the kidney and the bladder, under general anesthesia. (No cutting, I'll leave the insertion to your imagination.)  A couple weeks later, with the stent still in, "can I run, doc?"  "Sure."  Ha, ha, WRONG!  I was good for about 1/2 mile at a time, when I was routinely running 30 miles a week or more.  It took a while to get it back.

Len

Len

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    6. Mar 23, 2011 7:20 PM (in response to glassgirl33)

I totally agree with all the other posts. Allow yourself time to get back into it. And I think going back a week or two (or more if that's what feels more comfortable) would be a good idea. As would the suggestion of trying some other exercise for a week or two while your arm recovers a little before getting back into it. From everything I hear, being a runner is as much about mental strength as it is physical, so try to stay positive and refuse to give up. But also listen to what your body is telling you and allow yourself some tim to get back into it A good balance of the two should get you through and still running on the other side of this little obstacle

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...