Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3021 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2011 7:27 PM by camcat82 RSS
mrsfent Pro 62 posts since
Mar 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2011 9:45 AM

new to running, need motivation!

Hi,I am new to this whole running thing and need serious motivation! I did my first 5k a few weeks ago and ended up walking the whole thing. My goal was to jog as much as I could but i just didn't. I trained for a couple weeks prior to the 5k and about 2 weeks before the 5k I lost interest/motivation. Plus I don't have a buddy to jog with so that doesn't help. I guess I just need help setting realistic goals and some serious motivation. I can tell myself all day long that I'm gonna workout after work (that's the best time for me) and most of the time I talk myself out of it and just don't feel like it. Reading through all these threads has motivated me just to see that it is possible being 200+ lbs. I would love to do another 5k but i can barely even jog for very long so I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Wendy 33, Arizona
Mom of 3 wild & crazy kids
Started C25K on 3-21-11

My goal is to lose weight and feel and look better.
I've been overweight long  enough and I'm sick of it!

I want to be in better shape for myself and  my kids. 

Trying to figure out how to get and stay motivated!!

The best way to get your rear end off the couch is to put your feet on the ground and start moving!

• drbojangles Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    1. Mar 16, 2011 9:51 AM (in response to mrsfent)
    Re: new to running, need motivation!

Get yourself on the C25K program. Start a thread on your progress or join one that's already going and report back after your runs - you'll get a whole heap of support. Doing a 5k might be better as the endpoint of following a training program, not the beginning! The C25K really does seem to work for people.

There is an overwhelming amount of support and motivation out there, I've found it really helpful to get me fired up into finally doing this thing. You can do it!!!

• Menello Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    2. Mar 16, 2011 10:16 AM (in response to mrsfent)

Hi Mrsfent! First of all, let me say "Welcome!" to this place. If you were looking for encouragement, you definitely found the right spot. I have looked at the threads and posts around here for the past few weeks and this is probably the most encouraging bunch of people on the Internet.

Let me give you a few tips to get you started in this "running game":

1. Set a goal for yourself in the future. This could mean signing up for a 5k race, but it could also mean attempting the C25K by a specific date. If you are going to sign up for the 5k race, it will help to follow a training program (like C25K) to get you to where you want to be. Doing what you did can dampen your spirits towards running, when really you were just doing too much too soon! Don't limit yourself to what you think you can do, let your body surprise you!

2. Start a program like C25K - then finish it! The full name for C25K is Couch To 5K, and you can find details about it here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml (scroll down to see the actual program). It's a 9-week program that will take you from doing zero physical activity to being able to run 5km in a row! Just take it day by day, and challenge yourself to complete it.

3. If you start a C25K, look for threads that talk about starting on a certain date in the near future, or start your own! Threads like these are amazingly helpful. A group of people all having the same challenges and struggles at the same time can encourage each other and champion each other towards the goal at the end!

4. Get good running shoes! Go to a running enthusiast store and get fitted for a good running shoe. The price should not be what deters you from getting a good shoe! You're paying for your health, it's a very important thing to get good shoes, especially if you weigh a bit "more" than the average person. There is extra wear and tear on your joints and the padding from shoes will help you out a lot with that.

This is just the beginning. Go out there every day with something to prove, and you'll be good to go!

Team Captain for Sole Food

IT Professional in training

Running blog:

http://gruns.blogspot.com

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 16, 2011 1:17 PM (in response to Menello)

Starting the c25k like the others has stated is a great starting point! good luck!

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    4. Mar 16, 2011 1:35 PM (in response to mrsfent)

Welcome to the running community!

I definitely agree that following a program (like C25K) is very helpful, and that getting fitted for the right shoes for you is a must!  Setting goals is very helpful also, whether it's the date you're going to finish your program for or signing up for a 5K. I have found that signing up for races makes me hold myself accountable and keeps me honest. I don't have a running buddy, but I have friends who run and I often see at the races, so we kind of check in with each other.

You can do it -- just take it slowly (which is what the C25K program does). In a few months, you'll look have a hard time remembering when you couldn't run a few miles!

• IAMFABULISA Amateur 5 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    5. Mar 16, 2011 2:23 PM (in response to mrsfent)

Good for you!  From one big girl to another, "You can do this!"  I started off running by myself and it was hard to stay motivated.  Especially when my knees just killed me that night.  I have been walking as my sport for 15 years and have been trying to be a runner for the last 5.  What really changed things for me was joining my local Galloway Training running group.  You can look up Galloway Training on this site and by putting in your zip code your local chapter should come up.  I've made new friends and having someone to connect with every Saturday has really been great.  The group is broken up into pace groups and I'm not ashamed to say I run with the slowest group.  We run-walk-run and go at a "conversation pace."   Three months ago the idea of running 13.1 miles seemed almost impossible. But last Saturday we did it!  And you can too.  Good luck!

• Carrjeep Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    7. Mar 21, 2011 9:14 PM (in response to mrsfent)

Welcome to the running community!  I think you'll find that we probably are the most positive, supportive people on the internet, but don't be afraid to get out there and actually meet real people too.  Connections made in this sport can last a lifetime.  I want to echo that the C25K is a great program for someone like yourself.  Just remember that there will be peaks and valleys just like any other thing in life, but if you focus on your successes and continue to put forth effort, over the long run, your "valleys" may seem more like plateaus and you will be surprised what you can accomplish.  Good luck!  

J.

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    8. Mar 22, 2011 11:58 AM (in response to mrsfent)

Hi and welcome! The C25K program seems to be the best place to start, there are TONS of people here doing that. The best part about the program that I've seen is that it puts training into a realistic perspective with easy steps that anybody could do. You're not expected to jog an entire 5K right off the bat, you start by walking and you slowly increase your distance over time, as well as add in some jogging. Maybe you walk for 15 minutes but by the end of the week, you are walking 5 min and jogging 1 min, repeated 3 times.

Some easy ways to help you stay motivated - do you have an iPod or mp3 player, or a music playlist on your phone? Put some of your favorite tunes onto your device and when you walk or jog, the time may go by faster. If you're able to talk while you walk and/or jog, you could plug in a headset or bluetooth and talk to a friend while you work out. You could also download podcasts, especially something motivational from a fitness coach or trainer to listen to. I used to download podcasts from Jillian Michaels and listen to them while I was running on the treadmill lol. Keep track of your workouts, either online in a tracker or on a spreadsheet, or you could even make a poster or list that you write on and post up somewhere. I upload and add most of my workouts to Plus3network.org which is a site that partners with sponsors to donate money to charity - they donate based on your activities, length of time, and distance. It's not a ton but it's pretty cool, and it saves everything so you can look back through a list of your activities and see the dates, the amount of time, the mileage, and tags - who you did the activity with, what it was for, etc. I find it motivating to look at the list and see that I've been not only working out but also donating to worthy causes while doing it. If you do workouts outside, you can map them and upload your workouts later to keep track and see how far you've gone - mapmyrun.com is a good site.

Make small goals - like - I will complete week 1 of the C25K by doing every day to the best of my ability. Pencil in your 'date' with your workout every day on your calendar, or set appt reminders in your cell phone. When you've made it to day 7 of week one, treat yourself, buy a new pair of yoga pants or a cute workout shirt or a water bottle... something you need or want that you haven't gotten for whatever reason. Don't let yourself 'talk yourself' out of doing your workout! Remember that it's just 15 min or just 20 min and the rewards and benefits of that 15 or 20 minutes will extend far beyond that time! You'll feel better, have more energy, sleep better - and be working toward your goal. Baby steps, you can do it!!

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• Seppuku Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    10. Mar 22, 2011 9:02 PM (in response to mrsfent)

Welcome, welcome. I am also new to this forum. I am getting back in the game after suffering a stroke in 2008 and it is hard. I can tell you are not quiter because you finished that 5k, walk or run it's in the record books, right. Speaking of things, learn the term "PR" or personal record. There are faster and slower runners always compete against your PR. Above all do it for yourself and I think the motivation thing will get easier. We have one thing in common we can both walk a 5k now and in time we can run it too. Good luck!

Alwaws do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Mark Twain

Started 100 Day Challenge: 3/26/2011

Started Onehundredpushups: 3/26/2011

Started Twohundredsitups: 3/26/2011

Start weight:     276

Current:            258 (-18)

Goal:                201

Last event: Fathers Day 5K  2007

Next event: Fathers Day 5K  2011

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    11. Mar 23, 2011 7:27 PM (in response to mrsfent)

I can't really think of anything extra to add, everyone has already given some great advice and suggestions, but just wanted to say that staying positive and believing in yourself is a good step too. You can do it! You just need to make the commitment to yourself and follow through on it. Use whatever you need to to keep you on track - like threads in here, a blog, and exercise log/diary, entering a race, relying on family/friends to keep you accountable, whatever works for you. But if you make the commitment to yourself and then just get out there and run - taking the time to enjoy what you can on the run instead of worrying about how fast you go or how far you're getting - you'll be hooked in now time

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points