Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3596 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2011 7:43 PM by nowirun4fun RSS 1 2 Previous Next
nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
Oct 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 17, 2011 6:11 AM

Life without PRs

I think it's time.  I'm reminded of a marykb new years resolution post.

Would seem to be an odd transition.  I've been really pressing since last August.  Started as a lead in to the Philly Half after a 5K PR in July.  Just wanted to finish the Philly half, then regroup, rededicate, and push, push, push.  How low could the PR go?

My training post Philly was strong, ever increasing in intensity.  I kept at it all winter long, anxious to see how the spring season would unfold.  My mileage gradually improved, my pain was becoming more managable than it has been in the 3 years since I restarted, and I was finally starting to do some regular speed work with improving results.

Last Saturday, the spring 5K debut.  I was strong and pressed the race pace holding nothing back.  I didn't PR, but there was a very stiff headwind the last mile.  Remove the wind, and I'm sure the PR was there to be had.

I've spent the few days since introspecting, reworking my training plans, thinking how to tweek things to make the most of the season.  Meanwhile, the post race calf soreness and new muscle knot in the left quad after a lame run last night, and I think I've turned a corner.  I think the apparently pain which must simply be a result from pushing the race pace to the limit is what surprises me still and finally got to me.

It's time to retire.  The ***PAIN***, the stress, the cost to my family.  It's just too great.  The pursuit of my goal of "how good can this 40 something body of mine be" I guess is complete.  I have this complex about feeling like a quitter, but I don't really believe I'm a quitter in this endeavor.  It is just time to move on.  I've met my goal.

I'm hoping from here I can join the ranks of people who enjoy running just for running's sake.  I've never really been able to separate the thrill of competition and performance goals from the act of running at any point in my life.  I think it is time.

So, PRs for me, they've been written.  I'm done.  There'll be no age group records, or senior olympic championship trophys.  My collection of running hardware is complete.

It's been quite a run.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Mar 23, 2011 6:34 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)
    Re: Life without PRs

Good luck, time has a way of changing our mind.  Any thoughts of moving to Tri's.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,387 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Mar 23, 2011 6:51 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)

I guess I have been there for a while.  Though to be honest, I don't remember ever going out with the intention of setting a PR.  And it took a small race and a lot of luck for me to place in my age group.  But I still occasionally ran one faster then I had before and that was pleasing, particularly since I was hitting 50 and beyond.  Then I went through 7 or 8 years where I ran, and ran races, but not doing much real training.  So now I'm in my early 60s and training a little better, and I look at "age-group PRs" and age-graded performance.  But I know any sense of speed is behind me.  Now I run mostly because I enjoy running and the discovery that goes with it.  I still set goals but they are more modest, and I accept that I may not reach them.  The fun now is in participation and if I hit one of my goals along the way, that's an added bonus.

Len

Len

• njnitehawk Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    3. Mar 23, 2011 7:18 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)

i feel you got your PR in this realization

read Super Rich by Russell Simmons

keep running stay strong

njnitehawk

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    4. Mar 23, 2011 7:35 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)

Good luck and welcome to the "I run so I can eat well!" category :-)  

I've always realized I will never be the front of the pack and I'm fine with that. Setting a new PR for me, even by a few seconds is great, but I never run in order to do that.

I run to do my best each and every time based on how my body feels that particular day. 

hmmm, perhaps there's a benefit to having a chronic medical condition and celiac? One never knows when one will be 'sluggish' or needing lots of pitstops from something one ate, or when one's body will just decide that today is 'just not the day'.

Take time to enjoy the scenery, the bald eagles soaring, the double rainbow, the grass coming up each spring, and the animals along the path.  Take time to enjoy.

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Mar 23, 2011 1:14 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)

Good Luck in your decision!

• Hoolia214 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    6. Mar 23, 2011 2:12 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)

PR = personal record?

I'm new and have been seeing this everywhere, but I'm not sure if I figured it out.

G.C. Shamrock 5K Run, March 19th: 35:33

Strides for Success 5K, April 10th: 33:21

Manassas City Police 5K, May 7th: 34:35

Tim Harmon 5K, June 25th: 34:11

Let Freedom Run 5K, July 4th: 35:13

Vibha DC Dream Mile 5K, August 14th: 33:31

• Carrjeep Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    7. Mar 25, 2011 7:32 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)

My true PR's are from high school.  It's been over 10 years now and over that time I've always thought that I would rededicate myself to running and match or exceed what I was able to do as a teenager.  I'm turning 29 in April and I still believe that I can.  I hope my fastest days aren't behind me.  I'm going to make a real effort and really go for it over the next two years and see what I can do.

J.

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    9. Mar 26, 2011 11:47 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)

Granted, looking at your race times, you're in a different league from a lot of us, and your race strategies are surely much more focused and serious. I'm an 8 min/mile midpacker, and although I take running reasonably seriously, I insist on having fun doing it. I'll push hard during a race but never to the point of suffering. But I would maintain that you shouldn't give up, because sometimes one never knows when a PR will show up. I've been racing for many years and have never gone into a race actively looking for a PR. There are just too many variables and unknowns that can make the difference between a good race result and a spectacular one. Like this morning. I was racing one of my favorite 10K's (the Old Agoura 10K). The course is moderate, with some challenging hills in the second half that usually bode poorly for a PR. So I showed up for the race - on sleep deficiency - my son is home from college on spring break, so things have been really busy. But I've always done well on that course, I know just where the hills are, and the race conditions were good. To make a long story short, I went out expecting a decent race and came out with - a 10K PR. And I'm 54 years old.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• taylor007 Pro 88 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010
    11. Mar 26, 2011 10:02 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)

Man from your initial post it sounded like you were just getting started into the best part. I know that there comes a time in everyones life where they have to weigh what is important to them and how much they have to give.

Just maybe your perspective can be readjusted. I started seriously running back in Oct of last year. I dragged my daughter along with me. We have run 2 5k's and one half marathon. After the Half Marathon I decided to see how far I could take these legs of mine. I am 35 and from what I have been reading all the best years are ahead of me. And having your family especially your kids watch you chase your dreams is important. They are your biggest supporters whether they tell you or not they are always rooting for you and wanting to see what you will do next. So they are not necessarily suffereing the way you think they are. Or that you are putting them through great pains. Maybe the only suffereing or pain  they are having is seeing you not reach your goal. I can see by your times that you still have some left to give. I know that when I talked to my daughter about what I want to do with my running she lights up just a little more. Even if my family and friends sometimes wonder why I run soooooo much?? I tell them I like to run. It is fun and as long as it is fun I will continue to do it, even when my body is sore and tired and doesnt want to move another step. I am still with a smile on my heart even if there is a grimace on my face!

No matter what you decided I hope that you continue to run for the love it. Maybe find some else that can inspire you that you can run with as well. I know that has helped me as well.

5k- 18.17(12/11) - 5m- 32.12(12/11) - 10k- 39.58(12/11) - 13.1- 1:27:42(12/11)

9/11/11 - I did a green run 5k - 20.00

10/22/11 - YMCA 5k - 19.38

11/24/11 - Mesa Turkey trot 10k - 55.36 (PR) (backwards)

12/4/11 - Fiesta Bowl HM - 1.27.42 (PR)

12/10/11 - Sally's Run 5k - 18.17 (PR)

1/7/12 - Run, walk, roll 5k - 18.53

1/15/12 - PF Changs HM - 2.10.27(PR) (backwards)

2/12/12 - Runners Den 5 & 10 - 18.24

2/12/12 - Parkinsons 5k - 19.24

3/3/12 - Ryan House 5k - 18.21

3/10/12 - Fight Childrens Cancer 5k - 18.21

upcoming

3/17/12 - Kiss me Im Irish 8k

4/1/11 - Carlsbad 5000

• 64spokes Pro 60 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    13. Mar 26, 2011 11:51 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)

If it ain't fun, and it ain't paying you, then it's time for a change.

I'm just about 45 and came back to running a year ago after a long time off.  I used to run as cross training for my cycling in my mid-20s, and did sub 6 miles without thinking anything of it.  I'm about a minute per mile slower now, and I don't think I'll ever get that speed back.  It doesn't help that I'm 15lbs heavier.  It used to be efortless- like gliding.  Now I bash away and feel every bit of it.  I'm kind of torn about my goals.  I'd love to get my 5k times down (my recent PR is 21:20) but I'd also like to do a marathon, and I don't think those will go hand in hand.  Probably the marathon will win out, and maybe I can try for a Boston qualifier 3:25.  A big challange, but one I think is at least realistic.

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    14. Apr 7, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)
    I ran in my youth. I know what it is like to run rather effortlessly, and without pain.

I hear where you're coming from and I would suggest stepping back from that and saying, "that's who I was and who I want to be again, but it's not going to happen tomorrow.  Today is for training so that it WILL happen

Wife, kids, family.  Sounds good, but I don't think mine give a rat's behind.  They don't understand running, could care less to go see me race, and would probably just rather me paint the foyer or cut the grass.

:-(   Maybe they're jealous, or waiting to see your results.   Hubby and I watch Biggest Loser and the saddest part for us is when the contestants go home and their family/friends try to sabotage the contestant's new workout/lifestyle--mostly due to insecurity on their part (we say in our unprofessional opinions!).  I also don't understand this thinking. Maybe it's being from a small community where we all cheer for our neighbors or cousins or immediate family, but I can't imagine NOT wanting a loved one to succeed.  Even when I spent most of my 20s in funk with weight gain due to medicine and being mentally drained/physically drained after work, I still cheered my hubby on for his successes (and here I am, preaching to the choir on that one!). 

I suppose the answer is to be happy that you accomplished your goal for the day, week, month, race, etc. And perhaps reward yourself with something small, tangible, that you can pull out and reflect on what a great goal you achieved.

I am so proud of my training log more than anything else.

YEAH! 

I reflect when I was in jr. high and high school I was on track, but that was before I started working full time and when I had more time, carefree, and when my whole life (up to that point) had been active (baby to high school). 

However, then I went to college, got sick, learned a lot of how one's body works together with everything else and spent the next ten years in that funk---For me, just getting out and enjoying a run or participating in & enjoying a race is VERY important.

I actually downgraded one of hubby's cycling friends to an acquaintance, and so did he, when the guy kept making very snide comments about my weight, and then when I lost weight and started running this guy wanted me to have super super high goals.  Dude, that's not me. I don't have an addictive personality so maybe that's the difference. I'm not sure I've been addicted to anything in my life except reading and learning!  Goals are good, but I know realistically that I am not going to have the body/form/athleticism that Olympic athletes or Olympic trials or Iron men/women have. Hubby's "acquaintance" thought i should have run a sub-30 5K the other week. I knew there was no way i was going to be able to do that --drop 4 minutes on a 5K in a year--but he kept saying it. Maybe to motivate me? I don't know, but it was actually pure annoyance.

Knowledge is good, acceptance is good, striving for more is great, setting realistic goals is great too! 

*PS, sorry for writing so much!

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...