Skip navigation

1610 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2011 2:51 PM by MarkH RSS
buckhead Pro 58 posts since
Jan 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2011 5:56 PM

Is Hitting the Same for Softball and Baseball?

• MarkH Pro 98 posts since
    Jan 15, 2000
    1. Mar 27, 2011 4:30 PM (in response to buckhead)
    Re: Is Hitting the Same for Softball and Baseball?

Couldn't stand to listen to the whole thing. This is the garbage our sport has spent the last ten years recovering from. Mike Candrea figured it out. He's on tape saying the major league baseball swing is the fastpitch swing. Compare what this "coach" is saying about hitting to what the best hitters do. Look at the link below for some of the best female hitters in the world. If any of them, ANY OF THEM, swing remotely similar to what this "coach" suggests I will donate $100 to your favorite charity. I suggest Gashouse start applying the same test to the garbage they are promoting. Always compare anything anyone tells you about hitting to slow motion video of the best in the world. Let that be your truth detector.

People who take money to teach kids stupid stuff about hitting when a few clicks of the mouse would take them to numerous clips of the best in the world disproving everything they teach about hitting are my pet peeve. This really ticks me off. I hear a lot of stupid things about hitting but this is absolutely the dumbest hitting instruction I've heard in ten years. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting

Jan 15, 2000
  • ssarge Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Mar 28, 2011 1:11 AM (in response to MarkH)

OMG.  THis is absolutely horrible advice.  If you are a softball player, if your daughter is a softball player, PLEASE do not listen to this advice.  Do EVERYTHING you can to emulate the elite baseball swing.  This is what is taught in the upper echelons of Club Softball, and in college.

The credibility of this information is established immediately (in that it is not credible).  There is NOT less reaction time for a FP hitter than a BB hitter.  Start with the fact that rubber distance is completely irrelevant - what matters is the distance from release point to the plate.  High school FP is a 43 foot rubber, not 40 - I would think that mosty high school coaches would be aware of that.  And the release point is about 37 feet.  Baseball uses a 60.5 rubber, with a release point of about 54 feet.  With typical speeds, the reaction time is about 0.45 seconds in each environment.  Identical.  The FP hitter actually has an advantage, because despite the idetical reaction time, the ball is actually traveling slower as it comes through the hitting zone.  Meaning it is in the hitting zone longer.  But the challenge is very, very similar, and so are the mechanics employed by elite hitters in both sports.

Putting the thumb against the ear, and not loading the shoulders, arms, and hands, puts the hitter at an incredible disadvantage.  While manay hitters - male and female - assume such a position as part of their stance, they always load their shoulders and achieve a VERY different position before launching the swing.

The notion that there is "no time" to take a stride in softball is absurd.  While a greater percentage of softball hitters are no-stride than in baseball, MANY elite FP hitters DO stride.  And accomplish it bnasically before release, or concomitant with release.  Obviously, there is as much time prior to release to make ANY kind of movement as is desired.  And the momentum created by a stride, later transferred into rotation, can be extremely effective if done well.  AND, the stride is a timing mechanism.

As Mark H said, MIke Candrea and Sue Enquist are on the record in stating - and teaching - that the mechanics of the FP swing are identical with those of the BB swing.  And the sport has changed dramatically at the higher levels.  There is video of the National team and elite college teams all over the internet.  Start at YouTube, and go from there.

PLEASE do a little homework before accepting the advice put forth in this video.

Jan 15, 2000
    4. Mar 28, 2011 6:54 AM (in response to ssarge)

http://home.mindspring.com/~rmk/dotair.gif

Anyone recognize this long time National Team member and Olympic gold medalist? Does this look like a stride?

Jan 15, 2000
    5. Apr 16, 2011 2:51 PM (in response to MarkH)

bump

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points