Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4222 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2011 9:25 AM by jimnewman75 1 2 Previous Next
MindaTeachesKidz Amateur 15 posts since
Mar 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2011 1:59 PM

Going from the treadmill to the road?

I've been running on the treadmill since the middle of February and have worked up to completing 3.1 miles in 35 minutes. I'm scheduled to run my first 5K on 4/2. My husband - who is Army and an experienced runner - suggested that I run outside so that I could get a feel for the road. I sucked. Not just a little bitty suck - a HUGE who-do-you-think-you-are kind of suck. The little street that I was supposed to run is a mile, so it would have been two miles that I ran... I ran almost the whole way in one direction, but the other direction I ran maybe two minutes. Has anyone else ever had problems going from the treadmill to the road? Any advice to help me get better on the road?

Thanks!

Melinda

Melinda

Army Wife, Mother, Veteran, Teacher

FBC Family Fun Run 5K - 4/2/11

Run with the Rams 5K - 4/9/11

33rd Annual Lake Hartwell Dam 5K - 5/6/11

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    1. Mar 26, 2011 4:35 PM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)
    Re: Going from the treadmill to the road?

I have heard that it is much harder to run outside than on a treadmill.  I run on a treadmill all the time, and did a 5K a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how much harder it was.   I was still on W1 of C25K, so my time was terrible, but I don't really care because it was MY PR.  However I've got another 5K April 16, so I need to get my slow self out to the streets!

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    2. Mar 26, 2011 7:12 PM (in response to Kristy in NC)

Same experience for me too.  I'm early on in the C25K program, so I'm trying to make sure at least one run a week is outside so I don't get too reliant on the treadmill.  My first run outside was brutal.

I'd recommend slowing your pace down outside for now.  From what I've been reading, that should help.

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• Runningcolorado Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    3. Mar 26, 2011 7:18 PM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)

When I first transitioned from the TM to the outside I sucked wind big time.  The only way I found to make running outside easier is to be consistent and persistent.  When running outside you're moving your own body weight vs. the TM helping you along-making it feel easier.  Now I run on the TM only when necessary (ice on the ground, 100 degree weather, etc.).  After becoming more acclimated to running outside I love it.

Go outside as often as possible.  Run slowly and for short distances.  Build mileage and distance slowly.  Make sure you're not running in the heat of the day.  Keep plugging away at it.  Before long you'll be running outside w/ease.

Good luck to you and happy running.

Live, love, run

• awr115 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    4. Mar 26, 2011 7:22 PM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)

Don't Worry! during the winters I run on the treadmill and I'm so nervous to run outside but i know I have to when I am signed up for a run. I'm slower than slow, I find it very hard to pace myself outside vs the treadmill. I'm naturally slower when I run outside, but I have a watch (which I recommend) so I try to speed up when I realize I'm going slow.  Try to get outside 2x this week.  On 4/2 I'm running a 1/2 marathon.  Good luck on your 5K.. you'll do fine.  It also makes a difference when you run with other people.

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    5. Mar 26, 2011 8:38 PM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)

The best way to improve your road running is through persistence and consistency. Your body has to get used to pulling your weight along rather than having the ground under your feet move for you. It's good that you got out and tried to run outside prior to your 5k so that you wouldn't be shocked at the vast difference on race day. At least now you know what you an expect. You still have a week, so try to get in at least 2 days of outside running this week. Run at a comfortable pace and push yourself faster when you can. It's all about your comfort level. Soon, you'll be running better outside than you do on the treadmill and you may get to the point where you only use the TM when road or weather conditions prevent you from running outside. Good luck on your run!

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• Tudder Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    7. Mar 27, 2011 5:08 AM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)

I'm so glad somebody asked this question. After breaking my foot the end of last summer, I never thought I would run again. In February, I bought a treadmill and have been getting back on my feet slowly but surely. I'm only up to running 1.5 miles consistently, but it's a start. Last week I ran outside for the first time, on a relatively hilly route. The way out felt nearly impossible (uphill) but the way back wasn't quite as bad and I manged to run the entire way. I only managed to run a little over a mile. I'm glad I didn't attempt to run back uphill, or I would have been too discouraged. I signed up for a 5K in June, so I have plenty of time to incorporate outdoor runs into my training.

PAST RACES:

6/4/11 Balloon Chasers' 5K...34:22

3/16/13 Run4Luck...49:05

UPCOMING RACES:

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    8. Mar 27, 2011 6:35 AM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)

It definitely is harder isn't it I found the same thing when I went outdoors so decided to make sure I did as many of my runs outside as possible so that it wasn't such a shock. I think if you just keep getting out there as much as possible you'll get more comfortable with it. You just may have to be lenient with yourself at you 5k till you've had more practice - and try to look at the bright side, if you run slow it'll still be your PR, and you can always aim to beat your PR next time out

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    9. Mar 27, 2011 9:12 AM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)

Trust me, you're going to perform better on race day than you expect. You have been running and you know what to expect when you run outside. Plus, once that adrenaline kicks in, you're off.  There will be people in your race who haven't run outside before that day and they'll be in for a rude awakening. You'll do great. Just have fun and don't be too hard on yourself. As the above poster stated, since this is your first 5K, you will set a PR anyway. Let us know how it goes.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• High-Heeled Diva Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011
    10. Mar 27, 2011 9:49 AM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)

Oh, you will be fine. I just crossed the finish line a couple of hours ago. It was my very first 5k and I felt wonderful. Like you I only train on treadmill and ran on the road for only a couple of times. It was different indeed but a happy-andrenalin-packed-kinda different. You will surely enjoy it. And hey, I made a friend. Now I have a running buddy and will surely run on all kinds of road once all the snow melted.

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    12. Mar 28, 2011 11:04 AM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)

Congrats on signing up and getting ready to do your first 5K.  Being outside is very different so it is good that you got out and tried running outside before the actual 5K.  If you are able to get out some this week it will be good but don't run on Friday.  Take that day off to get ready for the 5K, both physically as well as mentally.  As the others have mentioned your adrenaline will kick in on Saturday and you will do much better than your first experience at trying to run outdoors.  Good luck with it and let us know how you fared.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• Dave179 Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    13. Mar 28, 2011 12:14 PM (in response to MindaTeachesKidz)

I can atest to outside running being a LOT more strenuous than on a treadmill. I'd all most go as far to say if you plan on running outdoors 3 miles that you should train 3.5-4.0 miles on the treadmill.

2/27/11 - Started c25k at 6'2" 285lbs

3/29/11 - W5D2 completed, weighed in at 270 lbs, after, 2 miles up next!

4/18/11 - W8D1 completed, weighed in at 268, decided to run for 30 minutes and felt as if I could have just kept going and going

4/20/11 - W8D2 completed, decided to just run the 3 miles and mission accomplished.

1st 5k scheduled for Mother's Day May 8th, http://ba5k.com/ - Finished in 39m27s

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...