Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1075 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2011 8:32 PM by flamomof3
VERCCE Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2011 11:40 AM

Can We Bring Family for Support?

Hello,

I have never been in a race, so I am very nervous but also excited. I am only doing the 5k. I want to ask if we can bring family members to cheer us on for support? Is it free for them if they're not running? Or Do they need to pay as well?

Also...what is an average time for the 5k?

Thank you! See you all there! :)

Veronika

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1. Mar 27, 2011 3:57 PM (in response to VERCCE)
    Re: Can We Bring Family for Support?

Welcome Veronica and congratulations on becoming a runner!!!  You will enjoy the race and feel free to bring the family along to support.  I've never heard of any race charging spectators, and usually they welcome them to be near the finish line to cheer the runners on, but you might  check with the organizer to be sure.  They might even want to make signs  saying  "yeah Veronica.....you are a winner!!!" or whatever.  You will be proud and they will be proud of you for finishing.  Make sure that you let them know that a race is NOT about winning....as everyone who crosses the finish line (even if they are dead last) is a winner!

One thing, the drinks and snacks after the race are for the registered runners, not spectators.  Just thought I would mention.

Good luck and let us know how you do on the race.  Hope you can get your family up and out to cheer you on.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• indigopet Pro 95 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    2. Mar 27, 2011 4:12 PM (in response to VERCCE)

Definitely take family for support.

If you get there early enough, you might want to scout out with your family exactly where they will be standing.  Which side of the road, etc.  That way you can be running on that side and know to look for them.  Also, if it's a larger event, you might want to set up a meeting spot for after the race too.  It can be a bit frustrating afterwards if you are done and then need to walk around looking for someone.

I wouldn't worry about the average time.  Remember that the average includes all those young speedsters at the front.  The one thing I do if I'm worried about my time is to search for the results from last year's race.  That way I can see if it is a race that attracts lots of fast people that will leave me far behind or if it is a mix of abilities.  Just run your own race and focus on finishing and you will be a winner - especially with your family cheering you on!

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/78782435

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 27, 2011 8:32 PM (in response to VERCCE)

Absolutely and yes they are FREE! Have Fun

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points