My knees are now sore. What should I do? Any tips? I need to be able to walk tomorrow to go to work. Thanks. Will appreciate your suggestions.
Stretch, take a hot shower or bath and if they're really bad, soak in epson salt. The thing is, since you just ran the race this morning, they'll probably be even more sore tomorrow. I ran a 5K yesterday morning and my calves were a bit tight from the hills. I took pilates this morning and they feel much more relaxed. So, stretch really good and soak if you have to.
Congratulations on your first 5K! Sorry to hear your knees are sore. A few things that help me when I have a little pain in my joints after races...
1. Gentle stretching, if you are feeling pain during your stretch, back off.
2. Soak in a warm tub with some Epsom salts.
3. Make sure you are hydrating. Sometimes we get body aches when we are dehydrated.
4. Apply ice to area in the first 24 hours, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, alternating on/off.
5. Gently massage on a topical ex: Tiger Balm or BioFreeze to the sore area.
6. As for going to work in the morning... keep moving but not too fast. If yo sit still or stay stationary your muscles may tighten up.
7. No running for 2-3 days, gentle walking as long as you do not have pain.
A little soreness is expected. But, it will pass. You'll be out and running soon. Keep up the good work!
Congratulations on your 5k! sorry about the pain in your knees! You got some great advice.... I'm sure you will be fine tomorrow
I've been running for about 10 years and I find that Bananas and Gatorade are very useful.
After a big race, the second day can be the worst. So, the most important thing I have found, is to do a light jog (~15min or so) the day after. To me, the soreness isn't what gets ya, it's the tightness. Hang in there, and congratulations on completing your first 5K!
Congratulations on finishing your first 5K. I can't add anything to the advice you've already received for recovery. Don't let the soreness take away from your accomplishment or deter you from doing more races.
Completed in 2012:
The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees
Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race
Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20
Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23
Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19
Tentative plans for 2013:
Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)
Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)
Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)
Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)