Skip navigation

2526 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 5:39 PM by Captain Meow Meow RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2011 5:51 PM

March Triathlon Series 2011 Reviews

Share your experiences with the March Triathlon Series 2011 below Back to event details page.

• teamkman Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    1. Jan 2, 2011 5:51 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: March Triathlon Series 2011 Reviews

A great event. If the weather cooperates.

In the past the water has been chilly but a-okay in a wetsuit.

The ride is a nice course with an easier last half than first half.

The run is trail. (I would like the sprint course to be different than the O-Course so there is no confusion at the 5k "turn around".

Lots of good energy at this event.

• boblawrence Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    2. Mar 27, 2011 5:34 PM (in response to Guest )

boblawrence

Just completed my first triathlon this morning.  The March Triathlon Series race put on by the Cal Poly SLo tri team at Lake Lopez is a great place for experienced triathletes and for newbies like myself.  At 61 years of age I'm a bit late getting started in the sport but loved my first experience.  Won my age group (okay so there were only 5 of us).  Took 37th out of 150 , in the spring category and generally felt great about the day.  The weather and the water were cool (lake 54 degrees), but the organizers and volunteers did a great job making the course ready after some terrible weekend weather.  My only disappointment was not getting my name announced as I finished.  My number was on my chest; I even pointed at my number as I was coming in so he would announce me.  My wife and grand kids were very disappointed that the announcer chose not to say my name (and there were no other participants coming in at the same time).  Besides that minor lapse, a great day.  I'll do it again next year and improve my time 1:29 (shouldn't take 5 min. to get a wet suit off should it?)

Great event.  Great venue.  Well organized. 

• fusatia Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 18, 2009
    3. Mar 28, 2011 8:26 AM (in response to Guest )

For being as college-centric as the organizers make it, there are a lot of non-collegiate athletes which makes it friendly for just about anyone. Not surprisingly, some of the volunteer help are misinformed (if they have any information at all) and the organizers could do well to take note of some of the frequently asked questions and make sure all the volunteers are aware of the answers.

I really appreciate the security of the transition area - you can NOT remove a bike or equipment unless you have a bib # on you and it matches the bike. My first time I felt uneasy leaving my bike unattended, but after that I relaxed and now I feel just fine leaving all my stuff even after the race during the awards.

Speaking of the awards, I was very disappointed that they didn't make a big announcement. I'm pretty sure my relay team placed 1st and I was very sad when I realized they had already started and I missed the ceremony. They could do well to post a large tentative schedule so athletes (like myself) who go back to their car after the race to put their stuff away and clean up can be aware of when they need to be back!

This year I was impressed with how well they handled the horrible weather. Having literally just hours between the end of several days of heavy rain and the beginning of the race and yet still starting on time is pretty amazing. The parking situation, however, was less than impressive. If you're going to make me go mud bogging in my Camry, please at least provide on-site tow service for when every non-4WD vehicle gets stuck in the mud... and perhaps you should prioritize a little bit when it comes to parking spaces - vehicles with 4WD can park in the mud hole and those without can park on the pavement, perhaps? I can't tell you how many Jeeps and 4x4 pickups I saw parked on the asphalt, and yet the mud pit was almost entirely cars!

This being my 3rd year in a row, I can say the race is really developing and growing, but they're definitely keeping up and making a lot of positive improvements. I appreciate all the help from the volunteer crews and I want to say that, except for my criticisms above, they did a fantastic job this year!

Last thing: I loved the eco-friendly approach! What an ingenious idea! This year's race was designed to be as environmentally friendly as possible, using solar energy, fair trade / organic foods, and not wasting paper on printed coupons, etc. It never occurred to me just how many things you could do but it seems that this year's directors thought of just about every one of them. Great job!

• SVAmy Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 15, 2008
    4. Mar 28, 2011 9:03 AM (in response to Guest )

I love this race... a great early season fitness test! big enough to be fun, small enough to be convenient/low key. As an age grouper I think it's fun to be part of the collegiate racing scene.  The lake is usually cold but it's very clean. The bike course is really HARD but hey if you are doing WF in a month... it's a good reality check. the CalPoly crew does a great job certainly comparable to professionally managed events. I've done this event now three times, will likely be back! Also enjoy having a weekend away in SLO/Pismo Beach.

• Scott Brennan Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 30, 2010
    5. Mar 28, 2011 9:48 AM (in response to Guest )

Where can I find the sprint results? This was my first triathlon. The organizers did a great job. I was very happy with it. Thanks!

Scott Brennan

• jepenprase Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    6. Mar 28, 2011 10:03 AM (in response to Guest )

Great event!  Challenging course, beautiful scenery.  Well run, great volunteers.

I'm also looking for the Sprint results. 

• jepenprase Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    8. Mar 28, 2011 10:21 AM (in response to Guest )

Thanks for the link, but the results page only has Collegiate, Olympic and Relay.

Jim

• Scott Brennan Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 30, 2010
    9. Mar 28, 2011 10:22 AM (in response to fusatia)

Yes, they have posted the Collegiate, Olympic, and Relay, but not the sprint results as of now.

Scott Brennan

• missbethanyblue Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 22, 2009
    10. Mar 28, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to Guest )

I was so excited about this race, although a bit apprehensive about the temp of the water!  It ended up being a gorgeous day and a great race...

HOWEVER...

I heartily agree with the previous statement about the 5K turnaround.  I was having the race of my life doing the sprint distance and blowing my previous time out of the water.  When I knew I should be coming close to the turnaround, I asked the Grizzlies if I was meant to turn and they shouted "KEEP GOING STRAIGHT!" so I did.  And kept going...until I saw a 2 mile marker and realized they sent me on the Olympic course.  Needless to say, I lost my standing and had to run an extra 1.2 miles.  As I ran back I saw that the Grizzlies were standing IN FRONT OF THE TURNAROUND SIGN.  No wonder I didn't see it.  It was a tiny sign resting on the ground and easily missed.  I lost my chance to win my age group and/or place in the top 3 overall because of poor signage and directions.  Race director was kind, but said there was nothing they could do.  Bummed out, but proud I made my time goal even though I ran the extra milage.

• blazinallie Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 15, 2010
    11. Mar 28, 2011 12:44 PM (in response to Guest )

Amazing race! This was my first triathalon and I had a great time, the volunteers were very encouraging and the atmosphere was great. The water was a bit chilly but well worth it. Only complaint is the parking situation, no bueno on hiking through muddy terrain just to get to the road. Also, no handicap parking. My dearest grandmama could not watch the race because she is 85 and unable to walk 2mi up steep hills, she waited in the car the entire race. Poor Grandma. Other than that it was a wonderfull experience. THANK YOU!!

• Jay Fiscalini Rookie 1 posts since
    May 19, 2010
    12. Mar 28, 2011 12:46 PM (in response to Guest )

Just found the sprint results over on the SB Timing website......

Here is the link:

http://www.sbtiming.com/results/mts_sprint_2011.txt

That was a fun race, my second time doing the March Series.  Great warmup for the restof the season....

Those Cal Poly kids put on a good race....

Jay Fiscalini

• kteeo Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    13. Mar 28, 2011 8:55 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my very first triathlon. I have been competitive my whole life and have never finished last in anything...well, at age 45 I finished last and yet it never felt so good! Thank you to all the young kids who stayed out on the course and waited for me to finish. Had I known this tri was mainly college kids n experienced tri athletes I might not have chosen this race as my first, but am so glad I did. Thank you again for a very memorable experience!

• KristovM Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    14. Mar 29, 2011 9:37 AM (in response to Guest )

FIX THE MUSTACHE COMPETITION JUDGING!!  The person with the biggest team wins, not the person with the best mustache.

Other than that, it is a fantastic course.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...