Skip navigation

1868 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2011 12:29 PM by Jonjon RSS
Airborneangel Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 12, 2010 1:04 PM

Nutrition Assistance Needed

Hello Everyone...

I was hoping you guys could help with my recent dilema with my training.

I am on a mission to lose about another 30lbs, and have hit a plateau. I am quite active on a daily basis, but just seems that my nutrition is off wack somewhere. Because some days Im just starving all day and nothing I eat seems to fill me up, and then other days Im not even hungry and have to force myself to eat, theres no specific pattern to which days Im hungry or not, but then there are days Im also starting to crave sweets mre consistent and Im not big on sweets.

Workout Routines: (Some days I workout twice a day, just depending if schedule allows)

I do cardio everyday (whether football drills, spin class, running, kickboxing class), weights about 2 times a week, plus also do Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) several times a week, and recently tried pilates and trying to incorporate into my weekly routine. Come mid January my routine will change a bit as I play on a Womens Tackle Football team and that will take up 3 days of practice of my week and once season starts 4 days including game day. And would really like to get my eating down before our season starts so I dont end up hurting myself.

Thank you in advance

• jr3578 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    1. Dec 14, 2010 7:49 PM (in response to Airborneangel)
    Re: Nutrition Assistance Needed

Hi,

I've got a few questions, but I'm sure I can help you.  I'm a Nutrition coach and work with athletes ranging from high school to College.  Run down for me what a typical food day is what you eat and when?  Are you using any vitamins or supplements?  Are you counting calories, protein, or how are keeping track of your nutrition at this time?  What do you do to help recover your muscles with all the frequent working out and activity you are doing?

Thanks

John

• jr3578 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    3. Dec 15, 2010 5:14 AM (in response to Airborneangel)

Wendy,

I don't think you are too far off from being able to get to your goal.  What you're eating is not bad I think it's more an issue of timing with what & when.  Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but if you're not getting the right combination in foods to get the most out of your metabolism you're energy won't be as high, performance will be down, and worst of all you're body will not burn as many calories throughout the day remaining more in a storage mode making it very difficult to lose weight.  To get the most out of your nutrition we need to eat at least 5-6 small meals a day.

With breakfast you need to shoot for 20-30g. of protein and 20-30g. of complex carbs.  A few eggs & a bowl of oatmeal or cereal will get you there.  I use a meal replacement shake for breakfast 220 calories but gets me 24g proetin & 24g of carbs.  When I started using that I immediately noticed an increase in energy, and performance.  The athletes that are using this have told me they feel the exact same way.   For a mid-morning snack I'm always looking for protein and complex carb. (piece of fruit & almonds or edamame is great too.  Protein & energy bars are great too just watch the sugar content).  Lunch again protein & complex carb, I do a lot of chef salads & sometimes follow that up with peanut butter & bananas or pbj.  For my aftenoon snack we use a protein shake to help with getting our protein amounts needed daily.  Dinner comlex carb & protein.  Usually a chicken, pork, (lean ground beef is ok) and steamed vegetables.  The biggest key for your nutrition is do not skip a meal or snack.  The nutrition is the most important part and consistency is the key.  80% of what happens to your body is deteremined by what you put in your body,  10% is work, & 10% is genetics.

Vitamins & Supplements - I'm a big believer in vitamins & supplements as no matter how good your nutrition is it is very hard to get all the needed vitamins & minerals in your body everyday.  I am a believer though that you only buy vitamins & supplements from a company that hires a 3rd party company to test their products to ensure quality, no banned substances, or an excessive amount of fillers etc...  Personally I'm not a fan of GNC products I've used them in the past, but I really felt & saw a difference in results when I switched to AdvoCare products.  I had been using GNC products for 5 years, but I too had some of the issues you did with weight plateau, hunger, etc...   When my wife had our 2nd child I gained as much as she did.  After Cole was born I pushed myself to get back into fitness and struggled getting the weight off.  I was introduced to AdvoCare from my trainer he put me on the 24 day challenge & it immediately improved my energy, metabolism, & I blew through the weight plateau & never had that issue again.  The products helped me lose 60 lbs. of body fat & I added 34 lbs. of lean muscle in a 5 month span.  This is also when I found how much I loved fitness & nutrition.  Not all vitamins & supps. are created equal, what they use in, & how they are formulated really makes a big difference on quality and effectiveness.

Rehydration is very important.  There have been multiple studies done to show that if you are exercising for over 60 minutes a sports drink is much more effective than water for rehydration.  The key for rehydration is drinking 3-4 hours before you start exercise then while your exercising, and then for every pound you lose while working out to drink 20oz. of fluid.  The important part is replacing the electrolytes.  There are a lot of good drinks out there gatorade, Powerade, Rehydrate, etc...  I always try to look at keeping the sugar under 10g., and that the carb solution is around 6-8%.  I would recommend using a sports drink during & after every workout. 

In regards to you're muscle milk as a post workout I would recommend to stop using muscle milk.  Consumer Health Reports tested Muscle Milk this summer and found that it contained high levels of heavy metals that exceed safe health recommendations.  Here's a link to the article Consumer Reports .

This is a good start.  for your protein consumption you should be taking in .6-.9g. of protein for every 1 lb. of weight.  This is what I recommend keeping track of while you're getting things moved around.   Let me know if you have questions.

John

www.getenergy4life.com

• thecenterline Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    4. Mar 25, 2011 9:04 PM (in response to Airborneangel)

Wendy, have you considered doing an herbal cleanse?  Even though you're eating healthy right now, there may still be a lot of toxins in your system that need to be flushed out.  The company I work for (AdvoCare) has an amazing herbal cleanse.  It's not one of those crazy cayenne pepper, lemon juice, nastiness.  It's natural and easy on your system.  Anyway, after your body has been detoxified, it absorbs nutrients much easier and more efficiently.  Plus you'll just feel better in general and have more energy as a result.  I do a cleanse once every 90 days because I still consume a lot of toxic (read that acidic) foods like coffee and an occassional soda even though I eat a pretty healthy, mostly organic diet.

Beyond a cleanse, I would say shoot for 6 smaller meals per day.  This will help spike your metabolism and make it easier to regulate your calorie intake more evenly throughout the day.  Eat a sizable breakfast, small dinner, and then everything in between is up to you. Check out the link in my signature for more info on AdvoCare and feel free to shoot me an email (advocaretriathletes@gmail.com) if you have any questions. Hope the above suggestions help!

"If you set a goal for yourself and are able to achieve it, you have won your race." Dave Scott

www.AdvoCareTriathletes.com

advocaretriathletes@gmail.com

• thecenterline Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    5. Mar 25, 2011 9:05 PM (in response to thecenterline)

And what John said.  Haha.  Go AdvoCare!

"If you set a goal for yourself and are able to achieve it, you have won your race." Dave Scott

www.AdvoCareTriathletes.com

advocaretriathletes@gmail.com

• Jonjon Pro 61 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    6. Mar 29, 2011 12:29 PM (in response to Airborneangel)

If you eat a balanced diet (protein, carbs, lots of fruits and veggies) and avoid junk food, you should not need a hand full of pills and supplements.  It is natural for your hunger levels to have highs and lows, so don't worry about that. Your craving for sweets can be met with snap peas or a dozen grapes.

Stay strong!

--j

Find your diet/exercise buddy at WannaBuddy.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points