Skip navigation

896 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2011 5:07 PM by azahamar RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 3, 2011 10:49 AM

Suncoast Sprint Reviews

Share your experiences with the Suncoast Sprint below Back to event details page.

• Pegster352 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    1. Apr 3, 2011 10:49 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Suncoast Sprint Reviews

We had fun. The starting area was not known by many until ten minutes before the start. Maybe because of all the fair jazz going on. Thanks to all the volunteers and congrats to all the young runners. What a great turnout!

• azahamar Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    2. Apr 3, 2011 5:41 PM (in response to Guest )

well, I run this race, and i really hated because the orgonizer started the race 3 mins earlier than what they said that the race was going to start. I have a GPS Garmin watch and i have never have any problem with starting time at races; First  one thing that I hate about this race was they did not have a sign where was the start of the race. Second they remove the start of the race (time mats) before it was 8:00 A.M. according to my GPS watch. They started the race at 7:57 with 43 seconds that's not 8:00 A.M. according to my start time at 7:59:25 A.M. I started 2:22 second late after the early start time and i finish with the clock time of 19 mins with 29 sec. that give me a 17:07 finish time. So I end up winning the race according to my time. these people were the most retarted race orgonizers they did not wait if somebody was late, well i was not the only one late, I saw another getting there late but he end up crossing the timing mats before they disconnected them....I will never run this race again anyways there are so many race that I can participate and get better awards than this crapy race, here in the Tampa Bay area there are so many races to chose from so for Saturday they had 7 races in the area. Well, runned faster than the guy that won the race...

• FatRef300 Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 18, 2009
    3. Apr 4, 2011 10:19 AM (in response to azahamar)

What am I missing? - "arriving late" is "arriving late" - no matter if you're in New York, Boston, Disney, Gasparilla or New Port Richey. (for most of these you're there about 2 hours early to be getting to the corral).

Should the race hold up the other +/-200 runners because you are late? - other races don't.

As far as prizes, I'm not a seeded runner so I'll never see prizes but the schwag was a t-shirt AND bling.  How many local 5k runs in Tampa Bay, let alone NPR, have both a t-shirt & a metal?

My personal review:

Arrived, saw where folks were checking in, got my bib & goodies. Dropped my goodies at the car & put on my bib. Figured out where the Start was due to the folks crowded around.  The start did seem to go off a +/-2min early.  Good out/back course along the water. Volunteers were there to point folks to turn L or R if there would be the potential for a question - even though there was chalk arrows in the road too.  Although I didn't stop, water stops seemed to have water & cups (is it me or was the first water stop with the Jr Sheriffs at about 0.5mi?).  Crossed the line and got my bling & went home.  Did not attend the post-race gig.

Had a 5k PR for me even though my Garmin read 3.18mi. (??)

Overall fine race that I would run again.

Cons:

I'm really being petty because it was a good event/run - Pre-race announcements via the bullhorn were hard to hear.

• Mommaulak Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2011
    4. Apr 4, 2011 10:08 AM (in response to Guest )

We came from out of state to run, but lived in the NPR area for years. We were very familiar with the area. Since this was our first race where we used the chip time, we weren't directed to the area to pick up a chip. We had to run back over to the area , pick up a chip, and then hurry back to make the start. I think that if the volunteers were told to direct the runners to the next table after they picked up their bibs it would have helped people avoid some confunsion. (There were quite a few others there besides us) Because we returned to the area late, we were lined up way back and probably should have started further up front. We also could not hear any announcements at race start. Other than that, we had a great time, great finish, nice brunch. We would do it again.

Jun 18, 2008
    5. Apr 4, 2011 4:56 PM (in response to Guest )

well, I guess you have not race that many races, because alot race like Gasparilla Distance Classic they gave you a metal for finishing a race, and they got metalsfor all 4 races. I have been racing in so many races in three years here in the area but no race organizer have started a race earlier because their watches are not working properly. I have runned about 200 race in three years, but I never seen these I even ask guys about it the early start and they were not happy at all.....for the cheesy metal they gave us and the crappy t-shirt provably I will never use it because i have alot of t-shirts 100 times better than the one they gave us..  may the t-shirt is going to a homeless person because I do not get to used them... I only used tech t-shirt...

Jun 18, 2008
    6. Apr 4, 2011 5:07 PM (in response to Pegster352)

Well, Suncoast Sprint 5k is cross out in my calendar for the races not to run again, and talk about with  my other runners friends which are alot.....well,good luck to the race organizers.....which i do not think they are into sports or aren't athletics......they just want to collect money....and who knows what's going to be the use for.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...