Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15612 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2012 1:44 AM by Runnerdude77 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • giuying Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Mar 4, 2011 3:58 PM (in response to meryl27)
    Re: Your Fav Music 2 Run 2?

Ok

I am a 45 year old woman

I am training for my first marathon Vermont in May.  Have been running for a year and a half did a half marathon in oct, Long Island Diva

Love music, so this is this months partial list, always looking for new ones

1) Beautiful Day -U2  just love to start with this one for a while now

2) Live Wire- Motley Crue

3) Shut it Down-Pitbull Feat, Akon

4) Stronger-Kayne West

5) Cannibal-Kesha

6) Sexyback- Justin Timberlake

7) Popular-Veronicas

8) Evacuate the Dancefloor- Cascada

9) Combustion-Meshuggah

10) Pyschosocial- Slipknot

11) Still take you home- Arctic Monkeys

12) Defeatist-Hatebreed

13) bamboo Banga- M.I.A.

14) Thats not my name- Ting Tings

15) Break Your Heart- Taio Cruz

thats just some of it, always looking for different things to mix it up

Karen

• gzackerman Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 7, 2010
    31. Mar 4, 2011 4:27 PM (in response to meryl27)

I am trying to build a playlist too.  I am a raving fan of classic rock music, from which it will be more difficult to cull songs that would be appropriate.  Here are some that I know will work (and I am open to suggestions!):

1)   A Hard Day's Night  - The Beatles

2)   I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles

3)   Give Me Some Lovin'  - The Spencer Davis Group

4)   Birthday  - The Beatles

5)   Angry Young Man  - Billy Joel

6)   James Dean  - The Eagles

7)   Back in the USSR  - The Beatles

8)   Slow Down  - The Beatles

9)   I'll Cry Instead  - The Beatles

10) I've Just Seen a Face  - The Beatles

11) Paperback Writer  - The Beatles

12) 25 or 6 to 4  - Chicago

13) Oh Atlanta  - Little Feat

My apologies for this list being Beatle-heavy, but their music is my passion.  I would love to receive other suggestions from this genre.

• jimnewman75 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    32. Mar 31, 2011 10:07 AM (in response to meryl27)

My iPod is a hodge podge of different genres ... but there's one song in particular that always gets me running a little bit harder: "I'm Shipping up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys.  You may recognize it from the NFL commercials last season ...

Jim Newman - Charlotte, NC

5K Races

Sept 2009: Levine Children's Hospital 5K (approx 33:00)

Nov 2009: Lungstrong 5K (approx 30:00)

Oct 2010: Big South 5K (25:42) PR - 8:22 pace

Apr 2011: Bulldog 5K (26:00) - 8:26 pace

Other Events

Mar 2011: Shamrock 4 Miler (40:15)

Upcoming Events

Apr 30, 2011: Skyline 5K

Aug 27, 2011: Warrior Dash - Carolinas (www.WarriorDash.com)

MORE TO COME!

• pamburrus Pro 136 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    33. Apr 2, 2011 9:22 PM (in response to meryl27)

We just did a post on our favorite songs and there are a few member comments with songs below the post: http://momsrunthistown.blogspot.com/2011/03/music-for-running.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Beat the Street for Little Feet 5k: 26:34

Big Peach Sizzler 10K: 52:21

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Soldier Marathon: 4:09:16 (first and only so far...)

Check our our nation-wide running group for moms!

www.momsrunthistown.com or https://www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

• gzackerman Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 7, 2010
    34. Apr 3, 2011 7:55 PM (in response to meryl27)

I am now up to about 125 songs, which will easily get me through the Flying Pig Marathon on May 1.  A sampling of the artists looks like this:

Beatles

Rolling Stones

Bob Seger

Rod Stewart

Billy Joel

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Bruce Springsteen

Don Henley

Beach Boys

John Mellencamp

Foghat

James Gang

Chicago

Brian Setzer

Allmann Brothers

and many others...

• wamland1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 3, 2011
    35. Apr 3, 2011 9:31 PM (in response to meryl27)

Always changing but my current set:

As the Rush Comes (EnMass Breaks Mix Radio Edit)    3:16    Motorcycle    As the Rush Comes - EP    Electronic        4
    Ashes In The Fall    4:37    Rage Against The Machine    The Battle Of Los Angeles    Alternative & Punk        2
    Backatown    2:47    Trombone Shorty    Backatown (Bonus Track Version)    Alternative        8
    BALTIMORE_notNina    7:06                    4
    Believe    3:46    The Bravery    The Sun and the Moon    Alternative        2
    Best of You    5:03    Foo Fighters    Skin and Bones (Bonus Track Version)    Alternative       
    Bleed It Out    2:44    Linkin Park    Minutes to Midnight    Rock        2
    Blood    2:51    Sons and Daughters    Love the Cup    Rock       
    Blood Undone    4:45    Dozer    Through the Eyes of Heathens    Alternative       
    Blueprint    3:53    Fugazi    Repeater & 3 Songs    Alternative       
    Boe Money (feat. the Rebirth Brass Band)    3:16    Galactic    Ya-Ka-May    Alternative        5
    Born Of A Broken Man    4:41    Rage Against The Machine    The Battle Of Los Angeles    Alternative & Punk       
    Breaking the Habit    3:16    Linkin Park    Meteora (Bonus Version)    Rock        4
    Bullet With Butterfly Wings    4:18    Smashing Pumpkins    Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness    Alternative       
    Bury Me    4:48    Smashing Pumpkins    Gish    Alternative        2
    Cashout    4:25    Fugazi    The Argument    Alternative & Punk       
    Caught Up    3:45    Usher    Confessions (Special Edition)    R&B/Soul       
    The Cave    3:36    Mumford & Sons    Sigh No More    Rock        7
    Christine    3:31    Luscious Jackson    Luscious Jackson: Greatest Hits    Alternative        10
    The City    4:27    The Dismemberment Plan    Emergency & I    Alternative       
    Come Back    7:50    Foo Fighters    One By One    Alternative & Punk       
    Dancing On Our Graves    3:26    The Cave Singers    Dancing On Our Graves - EP    Singer/Songwriter        4
    Daughters    3:58    John Mayer    Heavier Things    Rock       
    Daydream    3:08    Smashing Pumpkins    Gish    Alternative        1
    Everlong    6:35    Foo Fighters    Skin and Bones (Bonus Track Version)    Alternative       
    Ex-Spectator    4:19    Fugazi    The Argument    Alternative & Punk       
    Fade Into You    4:56    Mazzy Star    So Tonight That I Might See    Rock        2
    Fashionably Uninvited    3:51    Mellowdrone    Box    Pop        2
    Fast As You Can    4:40    Fiona Apple    When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King...    Rock       
    Fire On the Bayou    4:10    The Meters    Fire On the Bayou    R&B/Soul        2
    The First    3:11    Tegan and Sara    This Business of Art    Alternative        1
    Fix You    5:39    Coldplay    LeftRightLeftRightLeft            1
    Float On    3:28    Modest Mouse    Good News for People Who Love Bad News    Rock        1
    Fly from the Inside    3:55    Shinedown    Leave a Whisper    Rock        6
    Friends of Science    1:17    Galactic    Ya-Ka-May    Alternative        1
    Given Up    3:09    Linkin Park    Minutes to Midnight    Rock        2
    Going to California    3:32    Led Zeppelin    The Complete Led Zeppelin (Remastered)    Rock        9
    Good Grief    4:01    Foo Fighters    Foo Fighters    Rock        1
    Guerilla Radio    3:26    Rage Against The Machine    The Battle Of Los Angeles    Alternative & Punk        1
    Hallelujah    4:09    Rufus Wainwright    Hallelujah - Single    Alternative        2
    Hang You from the Heavens    3:38    The Dead Weather    Hang You from the Heavens / Are Friends Electric? - Single    Rock       
    Hard Sun (Main)    5:24    Eddie Vedder    Into the Wild (Music for the Motion Picture) [Deluxe Version]    Soundtrack        6
    Heart of the city    4:33                    3
    Here to Stay    4:13    Kermit Ruffins, Kermit Ruffins with the Rebirth Brass Band & Rebirth Brass Band    Throwback    Jazz        2
    Home    4:53    Foo Fighters    Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace    Alternative        1
    Home    5:05    Marc Broussard    Carencro    Rock        3
    Hurricane Season    3:20    Trombone Shorty    Backatown (Bonus Track Version)    Alternative        10
    Hurt    3:37    Johnny Cash    American IV - The Man Comes Around    Country       
    I Am One    4:07    Smashing Pumpkins    Gish    Alternative        2
    I and Love and You    5:01    The Avett Brothers    I and Love and You    Rock        4
    The Ice of Boston    4:55    The Dismemberment Plan    The Dismemberment Plan Is Terrified    Alternative       
    Idioteque    5:09    Radiohead    Kid A    Alternative & Punk        1
    In the End    3:37    Linkin Park    Hybrid Theory (Bonus Version)    Rock        3
    Infinity Guitars    2:32    Sleigh Bells    Treats    Alternative Rock        1
    iSt. James Infirmary (King Britt Remix)    3:19    Preservation Hall Hot 4    St. Peter Street Serenade    Jazz        3
    Jigsaw Falling Into Place    4:09    Radiohead    In Rainbows    Rock       
    Keep Me in Your Heart    3:28    Warren Zevon    The Wind    Rock        2
    Ladyfingers    3:28    Luscious Jackson    Luscious Jackson: Greatest Hits    Alternative        10
    Lakini's Juice    4:59    Live    Secret Samadhi    Alternative        1
    Let's Go Get 'Em    4:50    Bo Dollis, Dr. John, Earl Turbinton, Erving Charles, Lawrence "Lil Crip" Adams, Mike Marshall & Willie Tee    The Mardi Gras Indians Super Sunday Showdown    Singer/Songwriter        2
    Let It Die    4:05    Foo Fighters    Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace    Alternative        1
    A Life of Possibilities    4:35    The Dismemberment Plan    Emergency & I    Rock       
    Little Lion Man    4:05    Mumford & Sons    Sigh No More    Rock        6
    Marigold    3:20    Foo Fighters    Skin and Bones (Bonus Track Version)    Alternative       
    Me, My Yoke, And I    5:58    Damien Rice    9    Rock        1
    Mile High    3:02    Morphine    B-Sides and Otherwise    Rock       
    Monkey Gone to Heaven    2:57    Pixies    Doolittle    Alternative       
    My Hero    4:51    Foo Fighters    Skin and Bones (Bonus Track Version)    Alternative        1
    My Number    4:09    Tegan and Sara    This Business of Art    Alternative        1
    My S**t's F****d Up    2:46    Warren Zevon    Life'll Kill Ya    Rock        1
    Naked Eye    4:10    Luscious Jackson    Luscious Jackson: Greatest Hits    Alternative        8
    The National Anthem    5:52    Radiohead    Kid A    Alternative & Punk        1
    New Pony    3:57    The Dead Weather    Horehound    Rock       
    Numb    3:08    Linkin Park    Meteora (Bonus Version)    Rock        2
    O-o-h Child    4:28    Kermit Ruffins    Kermit Ruffins - Live At Vaughan's    Jazz        1
    Optimistic    5:16    Radiohead    Kid A    Alternative & Punk       
    Palm Court Strut    6:22    Kermit Ruffins    Kermit Ruffins - Live At Vaughan's    Jazz        2
    playoffs    3:36                    4
    The Power Is On    3:14    The Go! Team    Thunder, Lightning, Strike    Alternative       
    The Rain Song    7:39    Led Zeppelin    The Complete Led Zeppelin (Remastered)    Rock        8
    Ramble On    4:23    Led Zeppelin    The Complete Led Zeppelin (Remastered)    Rock        4
    Reckoner    4:50    Radiohead    In Rainbows    Rock       
    Riot Rhythm    2:37    Sleigh Bells    Treats    Alternative Rock        1
    Saints (Rock Remix) 2011    3:52    Dat Boi Pantha    Saints (Rock Remix) 2011 - Single    Hip Hop/Rap        2
    The Saints Are Coming (Live from New Orleans)    3:29    Green Day & U2    The Saints Are Coming - Single (Live)    Rock        2
    Save Me    4:35    Aimee Mann    Magnolia (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture)    Soundtrack       
    Savory    4:12    Jawbox    My Scrapbook of Fatal Accidents    Alternative       
    Serpentine Fire    3:50    Earth, Wind & Fire    Earth, Wind & Fire: Greatest Hits    R&B/Soul        1
    Sleep Now In The Fire    3:26    Rage Against The Machine    The Battle Of Los Angeles    Alternative & Punk        1
    Somewhere I Belong    3:34    Linkin Park    Meteora (Bonus Version)    Rock        3
    Spider Cider    3:05    Man Man    Six Demon Bag    Alternative        1
    Stainless Steel Providers    5:51    Revolting Cocks    Beers, Steers and Queers    Rock       
    Stones    7:07    Sonic Youth    Sonic Nurse    Alternative       
    Talk    5:11    Coldplay    X & Y    Alternative        2
    Tennessee    4:33    Arrested Development    3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days In the Life Of...    Hip-Hop/Rap       
    Testify    3:31    Rage Against The Machine    The Battle Of Los Angeles    Alternative & Punk        1
    That's the Way    5:37    Led Zeppelin    The Complete Led Zeppelin (Remastered)    Rock        7
    Tiny Dancer    6:16    Elton John    Elton John's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2    Rock        2
    Treat Me Like Your Mother    4:10    The Dead Weather    Treat Me Like Your Mother - Single    Rock        1
    Typical    4:12    Mute Math    Mute Math    Rock        1
    Uninvited    4:36    Alanis Morissette    Alanis Morissette: The Collection    Pop       
    Unsung    3:57    Helmet    Unsung: The Best of Helmet 1991-1997    Alternative       
    Want to Be Bad    3:53    Tegan and Sara    If It Was You (Bonus Track)    Alternative        1
    War Within A Breath    3:37    Rage Against The Machine    The Battle Of Los Angeles    Alternative & Punk       
    Where Do We Go from Here    5:35    Filter    The Amalgamut    Rock        1
    Where Is My Mind?    3:53    Pixies    Surfer Rosa    Alternative        1
    Wonderwall    4:10    Ryan Adams    241 - Single    Rock        1
    Would?    3:28    Alice In Chains    Alice In Chains: Greatest Hits    Alternative       
    Zero    2:40    Smashing Pumpkins    Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness    Alternative       
    3rd Eye Landslide    5:10    Monster Magnet    Powertrip    Rock       

Just started running at 45..it's all downhill from here.

Oct. 2011 - Baltimore Running Festival 5K

Oct. 2011 - Marine Corp. Marathon 10K

Nov. 2011 - Philadelphia Rothman Institiute 8K

• Olga85 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    36. Apr 5, 2011 10:30 PM (in response to meryl27)

Hi, Meryl!

First of all, thank you for your thread! I am a very beginner and choosing music for run at the moment. Have a very few favourites. First of all Tool - Stinkfist, I adore it and not only for run, another is Nickelback - Saving me and Wolfmother - Mind's Eye. Last song is little bit slow, just as I am while running

Have a good day!

1st of April 2011 I started to run...

• Alee77 Amateur 24 posts since
    Dec 19, 2010
    37. Apr 6, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to Olga85)

Wow, where to start?  Mostly anything Rock or with a good, fast beat.

Now, being a Marine I of course enjoy listening to Marine Corp Cadence, which gets me motivated.  I also listen to

Highway to Hell--AC/DC

Running on Empty-- Jackson Browne

Danger Zone-- Kenny Loggins

One Vision-- Queen

Final Countdown-- Europe

Right Round-- Flo Rida

We Didn't Start the Fire-- Billy Joel

Those are my favorite running songs, I have a different list for my workout songs.

--Aaron

• SansPants Amateur 18 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011
    38. Apr 20, 2011 12:27 PM (in response to meryl27)

If I started to list songs, this may be a little wordy.  How about some good bands or artists?

- Muse

- Rise Against

- DJ Markski, Magix, Eternal (Any eurodance will do)

- John Digweed (Any good trance will do)

- 2 Pac

• LeSamourai Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    39. Apr 20, 2011 12:40 PM (in response to meryl27)

It's fun to have a variety of tempos and intensities on your 'pod and let the music dictate your run. Yesterday, I had on a recent playlist (called "run amok"), and the gods of randomness favored me with the following back-to-back-to-back-to-back tracks to take me right up to my doorstep in a fine lather:

Social Distortion--When She Begins

Roy Orbison--Ooby-Dooby

Stiff Little Fingers--Suspect Device

Guitar Wolf--Jet Generation

It felt great! So did stopping.

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    40. Apr 22, 2011 5:26 PM (in response to meryl27)

OK, I love to run to music but diff than most here. Give me bluegrass and BG Gospel (I play dobro in a bluegrass band), a banjo can really get you goin if you let it. Dont get me wrong I need some ACDC, ZZTop, or Molly Hachet sometimes too. Gonna look into some of the other suggestions as well as the BPM music, thanks for the all the tips. D.

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• ShelbyinMontana Pro 56 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    41. May 9, 2011 11:03 PM (in response to meryl27)

I don't wear headphones when I run outside, but at the gym my favorite running songs are:

Rihanna- S & M (great beat)

Lady Gaga- Alejando

Katy Perry- ET

Michael Franti- Hey hey hey

Kat Deluna- Run this Show

Panic at the Disco- Time to Dance

Shelby

"Through it all, each morning has patiently asked me, 'Why do you run today?' And over the course of the years, one simple answer has quietly become more clearly heard than all others: because I must."

-Dagny Scott

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    42. May 10, 2011 5:49 AM (in response to ShelbyinMontana)

hi shelbyinMT! i love S&M by Rihanna. sometimes i have to stop myself from singing outloud at the gym or just breaking out into a random dance routine. haha!

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

====================================

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• SusiSez Amateur 29 posts since
    Apr 15, 2011
    43. Jul 21, 2011 4:20 PM (in response to Dreamstate)

So interesting to see what others choose... My iPod has a wide variety of genres on it and my "Running" playlist is heavy on the irony--many of the titles are like a private joke to myself. This isn't the entire list, but it's a pretty good representation.

The End of the Line -- Travelling Willburys

A Galope -- Azúcar Moreno ("At a gallop" flamenco music, women singers from Spain)

Roam --B-52's

Run -- Benton Paul

One, Two, Three, GO! -- Belanova (in Spanish)

The Great Escape -- Boys Like Girls

Wonderful -- Gary Go

That's Some Dream -- Good Old War

Running on Empty -- Jackson Browne

Be Good to Yourself -- Journey

Onda -- Los Lonely Boys

Arráncame el Corazón -- Maná (Spanish)

Not Falling Apart -- Maroon 5

How Far We've Come -- Matchbox 20

Abran Fuego -- The Mills (Spanish)

Steer -- Missy Higgins

Your Wildest Dream -- The Moody Blues

We Are Not Going to Make It -- The Presidents of the United States

Under Pressure -- Queen

Keep Yourself Alive -- Queen

It's the End of the World as We Know It -- R.E.M.

Dance the Night Away -- VanHalen

• Ballgame59 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 23, 2011
    44. Aug 25, 2011 4:45 PM (in response to meryl27)

Audioslave.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...