Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8024 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2011 8:13 PM by dayZruns RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
dayZruns Amateur 18 posts since
Apr 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 4, 2011 6:45 PM

Started C25K on 4/4/11

Hi all!

I began the C25K tonight and am so happy to have completed W1D1! I am a mother of four and running on my treadmill, but at least I've begun. If anyone else would like to share this journey with me, I'd love to talk, commiserate, complain, and celebrate with you! Looking forward to joining this communitey of runners

• ameeloo Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011
    1. Apr 4, 2011 6:55 PM (in response to dayZruns)
    Re: Started C25K on 4/4/11

Hi dayZ!  Congrats on kicking off C25K!  I completed W1D1 yesterday on the treadmill and can't wait until tomorrow morning to give W1D2 a whirl!  To be truthful, yesterday about killed me.  It's been a looong time since I've done anything in the "official exercise" department and I should have maybe walked my way up to W1D1.  Yikes!  I cussed at the treadmill (as if it was the machine's fault that I've been lazy -- ha!) and will likely call it a name or two in the morning as well BUT I'm stickin' with it.  So ... here's to the journey itself, talking about it, commiserating, complaining and CELEBRATING!

Tenacity is a pretty fair substitute for bravery.

"The next mile is the only one a person really has to make."

• SiberMom Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    2. Apr 4, 2011 7:33 PM (in response to dayZruns)

I started today, too!  I was supposed to start last Monday, but a family emergency got in the way.  I was glad to start today.  I walk regularly so W1D1 wasn't too bad.  I would love to complain and celebrate with the group starting today.   Since it is my oldest child's 25th birthday, it is time to lose the baby weight! LOL  At 49, pounds just don't come off easily and I need to drop about 20.   Do you walk on days you don't do the program?

Cooter 5K completed May 28, 2011 in 34:05!

Lake Placid Half Marathon  June 12, 2011 in 2:48:06!

Madrid Bluegrass Ramble 5K completed  June 25, 2011 in 34:38!

Massena 5K completed July 2, 2011 in 34:48 with casualites...LOL!

Tour de Potsdam 5K completed July 14, 2011: untimed

Maine Half Marathon scheduled October 2, 2011

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    3. Apr 4, 2011 7:28 PM (in response to dayZruns)

Good for you Dayz - welcome to the site and I am a newbie to running/actually plodding as well. 

I am overweight so I have gained insight from the 200+ thread.  I have taken the 100 day challenge of activity for 30 minutes a day and am on Day 19 Tuesday and I am incredibly slow - so the calling all slow penguings thread is another fav of mine. 

I just watched a video posted by another site participant talking about why we run - it is fun.  I sort of lost perspective on that since January 1, 2011, changing my focus to how fast I was not........the video helped me recall to enjoy the journey and just move forward without the self imposed expectations.  

Go for it - all out with the expectation of saturating yourself in the fun of the run......my new motto....

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

• RTimes2 Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 1, 2008
    5. Apr 4, 2011 8:31 PM (in response to dayZruns)

I'm starting C25K...AGAIN...for the 3rd time since 2007.  I actually finished it the first two times (well, "graduated early" the second time at around week 6), but I always let my gains fall to nothing and both times ended up back in couch potato mode.  So sad.  I have to silence a very loud voice in my head telling me I'm going to do the same thing this time around, so why bother?  (Stupid voice!)  But I really need this.  Lately I feel like my body is just craving movement...maybe it's the onset of spring.  Whatever it is, I hope it sticks!

I'm going to do Tues/Thurs/Sat.  These forums were a huge support to me the first time around.  Happy to be back. 

• littledetails Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    6. Apr 4, 2011 9:33 PM (in response to dayZruns)

i also started today.. i "finished" but didn't actually complete the full day. i only managed 13 of the 20 minutes due to pain in my lower calf muscles. i had to use the treadmill today and for some reason that is always a problem for me.. never happens when i run or walk on pavement or concrete. for some reason, my feet just don't land the same on the treadmill and it jacks up my muscles.

anyway, i'm excited! also very happy to be starting the same day as a few other people (it seems less intimidating).

jennifer

• MaxingtonBear Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 3, 2011
    7. Apr 5, 2011 5:56 AM (in response to dayZruns)

I started yesterday, as well!  I totally felt like I was going to collapse.  I initially laughed at the whole "jog for 60 seconds" but got a huge wake up call when I actually started doing it!  That was HARD!  I'm really, really hoping I can stick with it, though. 

• hollyisu Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    8. Apr 5, 2011 8:31 AM (in response to dayZruns)

I started on Saturday and completed W1D2 "run" yesterday.  It went ok, but I feel like my feet just slap the ground when i am jogging...going to talk to my runner brother about it to see if he has any advice.

I am hoping to run a 5K June 11.

I look foward to cheering everyone on!  We can do this!

Holly

Apr 4, 2011
    11. Apr 5, 2011 12:54 PM (in response to dayZruns)

i was also jogging at about 3.4. i went down to about 2.0 but still felt like those muscles had caught on fire and burned a hole through my legs

i used to lift weights and practice taekwondo and judging from how my muscles reacted to the demands of those two sports, i'm certain my legs will adjust pretty fast..so, i'm not discouraged.

tonight i'll be taking a leisurely stroll on the treadmill. if the weather is nice tomorrow, i'll go outside. that way i don't have to worry about the treadmill not getting along with my muscles.

Apr 4, 2011
    12. Apr 5, 2011 1:50 PM (in response to dayZruns)

i actually had no intention of running a 5k when i decided to start the program, i was mostly wanting to pick up a new sport and i've always wanted to be a runner so it was a win-win situation. i have since changed my mind after browsing through the forums and seeing what everyone is accomplishing..how could i not want to have that same excitement?! however, until i figure out where i am physically, i don't want to put a definitive date in my mind because i'm worried it might discourage me. since there are several races later this year in my area, i should have no trouble narrowing down my 5k date when i figure out what my body is doing. so, i'm super excited about that..also super nervous..but mostly super excited

so, today i went shopping for some new shoes. i needed a pair that i could dedicate to this program and nothing else. so i bought these bad boys.

new shoes4.jpg

aaaaaand, i love them.

i'm also excited to start logging my miles in the shoe tracker tool on my ActiveTrainer account. i think that will also really keep my level of motivation at its max..so on those days i don't feel like i'm "making progress" i'll be able to look at how many miles i've logged and it will remind me that i really AM making progress.

someday soon i'll be one of those people proudly sporting a new race shirt

• AllegraKSB Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    13. Apr 5, 2011 2:14 PM (in response to dayZruns)

I started today....for the second time.  I tried the program last autumn and made it to week 6, but then winter arrived with a vengence and I went into hibernation mode.  I've been really itching to get back out and do it. So today I did! It was a beautiful sunshiney day and it was wonderful! I am very happy to get out and do it again, and hopefully I can keep up with my enthusiasm....and if not, I'm hoping to find others out there in the vast internet wilderness who can kick me back into gear. Or rather, encourage.....

Thanks for starting this thread. We could all use a little motivation sometimes, right?!

Looking forward to being a runner.

• OntheRunNYC Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 1, 2010
    14. Apr 5, 2011 2:42 PM (in response to dayZruns)

I was a smoker for over 20 years (quit 3 years ago). I had not run anywhere with the exception of trying to catch the train (nyc).

I just completed my first 5k in 34:34 and it felt GREAT! Already signed up for a 4 miler in May.

I started a C25k program back in November on and off and on again. Got stuck in week 6 for a while 3x a week but it paid off - IT WORKS!. You can do it too! Slowly but surely build your mileage and endurance. One last thing - start watching what you eat. I have eliminated 98% of sodas and sugars, I still eat some from time to time and eat lots fruits (bananas and oranges)

The program works and you'll feel like you haven't felt in a very long time. The sence of accomplishment is tremendous.

Now some people call me 'the runner'. If you can't run outside then join a gym and run on a treadmill - it is just as good.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...