Skip navigation

1233 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2011 10:55 AM by quadzilla1 RSS
Kaela1 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2011 6:28 PM

Strength Training?

I started training for a sprint triathlon this summer. I'm working out 6 days a week swimming 2-33 times a week for about an hour each time, biking 2-3 times a week for about an hour, and running 4 times a week 30-45 minutes each time. I'm doing 2 bricks a week, but should I be doing strength training as well? If so, what exercises should I do?

• kapfast Pro 53 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Mar 29, 2011 9:29 AM (in response to Kaela1)
    Re: Strength Training?

Great question, and I wish I had an answer for you. There have been many arguements for and against strength training while training for a Tri. It all depends how much your body can handle. Try it out for a few weeks, and see it it works for you. Add a 30 min strength training session before a run or bike workout, but don't over do it at first.

If you do decide to strength train, I would highly recommend you start with exercises to develope your core strength (core is key to all aspects of the triathlon: swim, bike, run).

Good Luck with your race!

KP

http://trigratitude.blogspot.com/

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    2. Apr 4, 2011 3:22 PM (in response to Kaela1)

I incorporate strength training into my work out plans; more during the winter but I continue throughout the tri-season. Here are a number of articles on Active.com for you to look at: http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Strength-Training-for-Triathletes.htm The Dave Allen set is a good starter. And as previously mentioned, work on your core!

Have fun and good luck.

BT

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    3. Apr 4, 2011 8:03 PM (in response to BT.ROB)

I have a slightly different take on this at the moment.  Normally I just do core work and some weight training to get some varying aspects to the overall workout.  However, I hit some sand while on the bike 3 weeks ago and ended up with serious road rash on my leg so swimming is out until that heals.

Because I've had to switch to wait training I'm going big on the weights and doing a circuit training course to work the swimming muscles and core.  I can tell a difference in my running from the core training so I'm hoping that after a forced absence the strength training will make up for some of the lost time in the pool.

Just make sure you're getting enough recovery time and not over training.  Otherwise you really can only improve.

Andy

• quadzilla1 Expert 39 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    4. Apr 27, 2011 10:55 AM (in response to Kaela1)

Typically, in the off season, I will do three core workouts and two strength training workouts. This is in addition to my swim, bike and run workouts. Once the season gets underway, I cut out the strength training and the core workouts go from three to two. Obviously, my swim, bike, run volume and intensity increases during the season.

Once the season is over and short break, I am back at it gearing up for the next season!

Brad

Sport Packs members get Sports Drinks, Protein Bars and Energy Bars at huge discounts!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...