Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5128 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2011 9:04 AM by MrNibbles RSS 1 2 Previous Next
bingbingwing Amateur 16 posts since
Feb 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 6, 2011 9:20 PM

Running time during a race will be faster?

I am a new runner.  I started running around the end of January and I plan to run a my first 5k on 4/29.  I've been reading a lot about running online and I've read that you will run faster during a race than when you run by yourself.  Is there an average that I can expect to be faster?  I timed myself for 5k distance tonight and I ran it in 27:34.  Honestly I don't see myself doing it any faster than that.  That would be cool if I could, but being my first time can I really expect to be faster on race day?

- Started running 1/22/11

- First 5k 4/29/11: 25:55

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Apr 6, 2011 11:04 PM (in response to bingbingwing)
    Re: Running time during a race will be faster?

Only time will tell, but I will tell you this, When you get around others who are running, some of whom are running faster than you are, you tend to get caught up in the excitement, which translates into faster paces.  Maybe you will run faster, Maybe you won't, but who cares.  Just go out there and have a blast.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• ohioraceday Pro 111 posts since
    May 8, 2010
    2. Apr 7, 2011 3:36 AM (in response to bingbingwing)

I'm a newer runner (1 year) and can attest that my self-timed 5k's are usually just slightly slower than my race times.  I have a mapped out, local route that is exactly 3.1 miles and incorporates a small hill and some neighborhood sidewalks and some 2 lane roads.  It's my progress guage that I run about 1x/month in all types of weather.  Over the year my 5k times have improved in races and on my own.  But, it seems hard to replicate a new personal best on my local 5k.  I have gotten all of those on race day.  You can run faster than your current time.  It is possible.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    3. Apr 7, 2011 4:40 AM (in response to bingbingwing)

If you timed your 5K running as fast as you can, then that might be it for you but you never know.  Racing usually does bring out your top performance, which is the whole reason we do it!

BTW, one of the "rules" of training is that you never "run your race in training" which is kind of what you just did.  Most experienced runners understand that you train for all the elements of the race - speed, distance, endurance - but you don't pull out all the stops and run your race distance at race pace shortly before the race itself.

At this stage in the game that is no big deal, but just something to keep in mind!

• Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    4. Apr 8, 2011 8:48 AM (in response to bingbingwing)

I'm a very new runner. My race time was SLOWER.

By the way, 27:34 is a GREAT time!!

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    5. Apr 8, 2011 9:01 AM (in response to bingbingwing)

My runs for 3 miles are usually at 35/36 minutes.

My race times haev been in the 34 range and last weekend I did a 32.

The atmosphere, excitement, weather, and commraderie will get you pumped and you'll be running faster than you think you can. . . and then sprint it the last 100. :-)

ETA:  Also, 3.1 with your GPS is not necessarily the same as a 3.1 in a race--IF the race is a certified course--meaning you can cut the curves/ run the tangents and still come out with 3.1. 

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    6. Apr 11, 2011 12:23 AM (in response to bingbingwing)

You can run faster during a race than running by yourself.  It's mostly due to the adrenaline rush of being in a race, seeing others who run faster than you and others slower, the crowd cheering people on, and all of the other pomp and circumstance that happens before and after the race.  Just be carefult hat you don't get too pumped up at the beginning that you run at a much faster pace and tire yourself out at the end.  Make sure you warm up properly as that will take off some of the edge before the race.  Also on the night before the race, make sure you lay out your shoes, shorts, tshirt, socks and whatever else you will have with you on the race.  If you can get your bib number the day before the race, pin it on the shirt and place the timing chip on your shoe, so you don't have to think about it on race day.  And always remember to have fun out there.  Good luck.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    7. Apr 11, 2011 12:18 PM (in response to bingbingwing)

There is something about a race atmosphere that can lead to faster times, but can also backfire.  If you start out too fast you may find yourself sucking wind at the end.  Set a pace and try to stick with it.  If you still feel good at the 2 mile mark - pick up the pace.  In my opinion it's better to finish strong than start strong... just wish I could get back to doing either.  I had a problem with starting strong when I ran in HS, but now I'm just looking to be strong at some point...

• johnmcc22 Pro 100 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    8. Apr 11, 2011 4:49 PM (in response to bingbingwing)

I just ran my 5k Saturday, my best time was 38 minutes during training, but I finished it in 36:37 and walked for 1.5 at the 2 mile mark due to stomach cramps, you'll do much better  during the race.

1: Essential2life 5k 4.7.2012

2: Long Branch Half Marathon 5.6.2012

3: Newport - Jersey City 10k 5.12.2012

4: Newport - Jersey City Half Marathon 9.23.2012

5: Atlantic City Half Marathon 10.21.2012

Facebook add me as a friend if you like http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1215856639

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    9. Apr 11, 2011 8:07 PM (in response to bingbingwing)

I run about a minute per mile faster during races than I have, thus far, in my training runs. Maybe I just need to train harder or perhaps it is just the competition that pushes me a bit more. My guess is, as I improve, my training and race times will be closer. Your time is a bit better than I can do right now and would be pretty good for a first race in my opinion.

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

• Dar Kelly Pro 79 posts since
    Mar 17, 2010
    11. Apr 25, 2011 1:57 PM (in response to bingbingwing)

You're only a few days away from your 5K. How exciting! The best advice someone gave me before my first race was.... finish injury-free and happy. If you have trained properly, you will do great. Let your first 5K be a gauge for your next 5K. You always want to better your time with each race. Control the things you are able to: getting proper sleep, good hydration and nutrition, setting yourself up with the  necessary gear the night before the race and you'll be set!

Here is a good article to read for future training and races http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How_to_improve_your_foot_speed.htm

Good luck and have fun!

Dar

• MrNibbles Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011
    12. Apr 25, 2011 2:49 PM (in response to bingbingwing)

It has been 20 years but I do rememer from when I use to run that the competition with other runners would usuaully mean that you are able to push yourself a little extra and do a better time than in training.
    I will be running my first 5k in 20 years this Saturday. My biggest concern is not to open too fast. I think I could easily be tempted to run way too fast at the beginning with the adrenaline pumping.
    It is very hard for me to recover if I start fast. And personally I much rather open slow and catch people from behind vs starting fast and risk being passed by a lot of people, I find that demoralizing.

2011:

Loop The Lakes 5K Vernon Hills 4/30/11: 28:49

Fox River Running Club Weight Watchers® Walk-It Day 5k Mchenry 5/22/11: 29:32

Grant Township 5K 2011 8/14/11: 26:13

Long Grove Turkey Trot 2011 11/24/11: 27:43

• bu11fr0g Amateur 23 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    13. Apr 29, 2011 8:04 AM (in response to bingbingwing)

My times have been better on races and on personal courses at different times.  This is my experience.

The advantages of a home course:

1- familiarity with where the hills and slopes are and how long they last

2- familiarity with how far along you are in the race at any point and how hard you can push and still have energy to finish

3- can be run at ideal time of day and weather

4- ideal for measuring progress with training

5- starts exactly when you feel most ready

The advantages of a race

1- excitement of others around and excitement of the race itself

2- pacers, people running at a steady pace so you can catch yourself slacking off, but also encourage yourself to go faster to match them

3- often carefully planned pre-race diet, running tapering, and training (especially applies to very competitive runners)

4- at fast speeds, someone to break the air in front (only applies to very competitive runners)

5- cheering and encouraging spectators

6- fluid and nutrition handed out in a more convenient, faster way which means you don't have to carry water

7- more meaningful, adding a psychologic advantage

The disadvantages of a race

1- tendency to get overexcited and go out too fast

2- need to run around others, particularly in very large races

3- tendency to run longer than an actual course due to need to run around others and difficulty in running a perfect line

4- travel

5- cannot control when it is: bad weather/bad time of day

6- some do not allow music.

7- may not be able to have coaches shouting out advice or non-race pacers

8 -lots of things that can cause poor sleep the night before.

The advantages and disadvantages can be ameliorated in different ways and mimiced.  (You can check out the course or even walk/run/drive the course before a race [that is why the courses are posted on line]; or you could have a friend cheer or pace you for your home course, for example)

• MrNibbles Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011
    14. Apr 29, 2011 1:33 PM (in response to bingbingwing)

Tomorrow I'm doing my first 5k race in 20 years. I've been in training since the beginning of the month and my best 5k time has been about 32 min. The race tomorrow is on a new (for me) trail, I never been there before so no benefit from knowing it.

Maybe 100 runners in total so not a big thing. Hopefully they won't all leave me in the dust, I would hate to come in five min after everyone else
    I will let you know tomorrow afternoon what my experience was and if I was able to shave anyhing of my 32 min. My biggest concern is starting too fast and hitting "the wall".

2011:

Loop The Lakes 5K Vernon Hills 4/30/11: 28:49

Fox River Running Club Weight Watchers® Walk-It Day 5k Mchenry 5/22/11: 29:32

Grant Township 5K 2011 8/14/11: 26:13

Long Grove Turkey Trot 2011 11/24/11: 27:43

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points