Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3038 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2011 4:08 PM by flamomof3 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
Mar 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2011 7:38 PM

What do you love/hate when running?

I LOVE mild temps and low humidity. I hate, truly in a way I never thought possible, wind. Running into the wind makes me angry.

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• ZombieKnee Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    1. Apr 8, 2011 8:21 PM (in response to Michelle74149)
    Re: What do you love/hate when running?

I love the feeling of freedom it gives me, and the sense of accomplishment. I just returned to running after taking a year and a half hiatus for a knee injury followed by surgery followed by rehab, so I'm restarting the couch to 5K plan. But after just 1 week, I feel free again, and I feel alive.

I hate raised boards on the Boardwalk. There's a boardwalk near my house which should be a nice place to run, overlooking the ocean and all that. But it's so old, a lot of the boards are rotting through, the screws popped off so that one end will be up higher and unless you see it, you trip all over it.

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Apr 8, 2011 10:36 PM (in response to Michelle74149)

I love being outside. I love the exilherating cold, the mild spring and fall temps, and although I don't care for hot weather, I love completing a run in spite of it.  I love the sense of accomplisment.  I'm not crazy about STRONG winds or heavy rain, but I HATE running injuries. I HATE being layed up and not doing what I love doing. 

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• drbojangles Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    3. Apr 9, 2011 3:42 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

I am SO with you on the wind! I hate, hate, HATE it! There is no other weather condition that really causes me problems when running.

I LOVE running in the early morning of a beautiful day, when the sky is pale blue with pink clouds and there is nobody else about. I don't think there is any better way to start the day.

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    5. Apr 9, 2011 6:39 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

I like early morning runs when the winds are light.  However, if I start out into the wind, I know I'll have it at my back on the way home, so it all evens out.  The temp can be whatever it wants; I can dress for that.  I keep my pace moderate and don't hit the hills until I'm well warmed up.

The bottom line?  At 64, I'm glad I can be out there doing it and also reading about everyone else's experiences on these threads.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    7. Apr 9, 2011 8:50 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

i love running early in the morning before the sun comes up in the summer. i hate wind, i hate the debris it brings, and i hate the extra energy i exert trying to push through it. i love running in a warm rain and even though i hate the cold, i love running in the snow.

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

====================================

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• gottatryit Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    8. Apr 9, 2011 10:05 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

I agree...the wind can be awful!  I ran the Richmond VA Marathon in 2010.  I was on pace until I had to run across a bridge.  Yikes! Did that wind hit me.  I think 2 or 3 pace groups must have passed me within a 10 minute window (not exactly motivating).  The worst part about the wind is that it's so hard to add into your training schedule.  It's easy to add hills.  It's easy to run midday (for warmer weather) or in the early morning (for cooler weather).  But the wind is definitely a hit or miss. 

What do I love about running?  Basically everything else...treating myself to Ben and Jerry's after a long run.  Listening to podcasts that don't fit into my schedule otherwise. Using a "rest day" as an excuse to be lazy.  Check out my running blog: http://www.gottatryit.webs.com

• Steve427 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    9. Apr 9, 2011 10:50 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

I love morning runs before the sun comes up and before the city wakes up. I feel like it's just me, my thoughts and the road. I love it when I hit my zone during one of my favorite running songs like Heaven (funkstorung mix) by Lamb. What I hate......................unattended dogs

www.alkalizeforever.com

Charlotte Racefest at Southpark Half Marathon April 16, 2011.

2:16:56

• NorCal02466 Amateur 28 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    10. Apr 9, 2011 12:15 PM (in response to Michelle74149)

I love running outside in almost any weather.

Once it's below 20 degrees or above 80, or if it's slippery, then no, I don't want to get hurt - but the outside air, sky, feeling of freedom is just awesome for me!

It's hard to imagine that I'd be hating anything or anyone when I run, but I have been on some very crowded indoor tracks - and that's no fun.

I run contemplatively, I don't like to compete for space or worry about running into someone who is not paying attention.

NorCal02466

"And if you don't give up, and don't give in, you may just be OK"... Mike and the Mechanics

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

• postalsteve Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 19, 2011
    11. Apr 9, 2011 12:45 PM (in response to Michelle74149)

I'm not crazy over  the first couple of miles of a long run, but love it when I start to hit my stride, and then the high I feel when I finish a good run keeps me coming back.

boo to anything more than a breeze.

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    12. Apr 9, 2011 1:18 PM (in response to Michelle74149)

Love to go downhill, but hate to come back uphill!  I actually love running in a light rain, but I hate it when it's colder than 40 degrees (which, thankfully, isn't too often where I live.)

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    13. Apr 9, 2011 1:27 PM (in response to Michelle74149)

I LOVE running before or at dawn, with the owls and coyotes calling, and the occasional skunk crossing my path. I live in the Boulder, CO area, so it never really gets too cold for too long; and even in August the pre-dawn hours are cool. I love dirt or gravel trails along the creek, or up and down the hill. I love the fifteen mule deer I passed today, quietly grazing at the side of the trail.

I don't hate the wind. I just refuse to run in it! I dislike "idjits" who walk 4 across on the trail, with dogs on 10 yard leashes, who expect all other trail users to stop while they tell their ankle biters "Get out of the way, sweetie! Be good, now. The nice man just wants to go through".

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...