Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

28177 Views 235 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2011 10:24 AM by VirginiaBreeze RSS 1 2 3 ... 16 Previous Next
HydeParkJogger Pro 63 posts since
Apr 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2011 3:12 AM

Starting April 10th

Hello,

It's a beautiful day in London and I'm tired of being overweight and unfit.  I used to be a pretty respectable athlete (about 7 years ago!) but haven't been taking care of myself since going to University and pursuing a PhD.  I've gained about 20 lbs and get out of breath walking up three flights of stairs!  It's a lot to begin with at once, but I'm going to be starting to eat better in addition to starting C25K.  I've done the programme before (somewhat successfully) but that was about 3 years ago and I didn't keep it up once I moved.

I'm just about to leave for W1D1 now.  My biggest fear is the humiliation of waddling around the park whilst being passed by uber-fit people three times my age.  Now to turn that fear into motivation (and all the power to the senior citizens kicking my ***!)...

Chime in if you're also starting or with words of wisdom!

HPJ

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    2. Apr 10, 2011 3:39 AM (in response to HydeParkJogger)
    Re: Starting April 10th

Mr Hyde

Sorry, could not resist

Congrats on your first workout. Keep it up!

One thing to remember, when running the increase in body temperature makes the outside feel about 6-10 degrees more than it is outside - so 15 degrees becomes about 21 to25 degrees, while 20 degrees becomes more like 26 to 30 degrees depending on your effort and length of running. It is always a good idea to dress so that you start out feeling a little chilled, or at least wear an outer layer you can quickly take off when you begin to heat up. it will not be critical for the first four weeks of the C25K, because you never really do enough running to get too hot, but beginning in Week 5 and especially Week 7 keep this in mind.

Again ' good job on your first workout. Keep it up!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• RunninUgly Expert 56 posts since
    Dec 30, 2008
    4. Apr 10, 2011 5:21 AM (in response to HydeParkJogger)

Great job Hydeparkjogger. Getting out the door and taking that first step is the key and you have done that. Don't worry about being slow or what other people think. You are doing this for you and not them, and most of them are probably thinking "good for you' anyway and are wishing you luck and are proud of you.

Keep up the great work!!

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

Jacksonville Marine Corps Half Marathon- 1 Oct 11

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge- 7-8 Jan 12

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

through the obstruction."  William James

• drbojangles Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    5. Apr 10, 2011 5:30 AM (in response to HydeParkJogger)

Don't worry about other people - there's all sorts out and about and I don't think anyone is really noticing anyone else. Well done for taking yourself out to Hyde Park on a sunny Sunday for your first workout though! I was so self-conscious for the first couple of weeks I wouldn't even run in daylight...

Will you be out watching the marathon next week? Great for motivation. I wish I was in London at the moment, I'll be watching on TV.

Good luck!

• MaggieNme Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 10, 2011
    6. Apr 10, 2011 7:27 AM (in response to HydeParkJogger)

Hi Hyde Park Jogger.  I'm starting c25k today (April 10th ) also. I completed it 2 years ago and ran some 5ks at a very slow pace (less than 5mph) and when I tried to pick up the pace I started having knee problems and had to quit.  About a year ago I started playing tennis and found that if I iced my knee after a workout my knee would quit hurting.  Yesterday when I asked my 26 year-old gym-rat daughter to start c25k with me and( I'm 55) she totally insulted me. so how about it Hyde Park Jogger would you consider training with Maggie and me?

• drbojangles Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    8. Apr 10, 2011 8:49 AM (in response to HydeParkJogger)

Would they really taunt you, or is that your projection? Cos that doesn't sound much like friends to me!

Apr 10, 2011
    10. Apr 11, 2011 10:52 AM (in response to HydeParkJogger)

Maggie and I finished our first run. It was fun but I thin that brfor long we will need to monitor our speed or we will end up being passed by walkers like last time.

Apr 10, 2011
    11. Apr 11, 2011 10:53 AM (in response to MaggieNme)

oops, pardon our typos

Apr 10, 2011
    14. Apr 12, 2011 2:32 PM (in response to HydeParkJogger)

Maggie and I finished W1D2 this morning too.  It's still beautiful here in Dallas Texas so we were able to go out in the sunshine, but before long we will need to go out before the sun comes out in order to beat the heat.  In my neighborhood there are lots of joggers with dogs (and no tourists) but by June it will be 100% (37) by 9:00 am so before long we will start getting up at 6:00 am to hit the coolest part of the day.  Do you use the c25k podcasts?

1 2 3 ... 16 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...