Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1178 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2011 9:43 AM by Runningcolorado RSS
Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
Mar 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2011 8:38 AM

right outside knee pain

Hi, I'm a new runner-- started running about 3 months ago. Other than a muscle strain I've had no injuries, until today. During this morning's run the outside of my right knee started to really hurt. I didn't want to be a wimp so I kept running. By the 3rd mile I was hurting too much to walk normally. The pain is much worse when I lift my leg than when I push down.

Any ideas? Is this something to push through or let rest? At the moment I'm icing. Gah! I do not want to have to take a break, but I don't want a serious injury either

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    1. Apr 10, 2011 8:49 AM (in response to Michelle74149)
    Re: right outside knee pain

Don't ice.....inflammation is your body's healing mechanism.........RICE treatment was developed to keep paid atthletes in the game (seen as expendables for sports entertainment) along with cortisone shots...................you don't have an owner makng money off of you......go get prolotherapy and strengthen those outside ligaments............and tendon attachments........

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,321 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Apr 10, 2011 9:40 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

It could be ITBS (IlioTibialBand Syndrome).  Take a look at this thread.

http://community.active.com/thread/81103

There's some listing of symptoms and a lot of good advice on treatment.

Len

Len

• Runningcolorado Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    3. Apr 10, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

This sounds like ITB Syndrome.  There's a sheet of tissue that runs along the outside of the thigh from the pelvis to the outside of the knee.  This tissue becomes inflamed (usually from over use, or from your general leg structure [commonly bow legs]).  It also can come from running on cambered roads.

I use a foam roller to get it to relax. When you find a hot spot--lay on it for a few minutes (yes, it will be painful).   I also do stretches specifically for the ITB (see YouTube or Google for instructions on how to do these) after every run.  The RICE methods has been very helpful for me.  NAIDs may also be helpful (please do not take anything until/unless you see your doctor first) to reduce the inflammation.  You may find it helpful to use a Cho-Pat knee strap to wrap around your thigh just above the knee to help stop/reduce the friction (movement) of the tissue over the outer knee bone. 

When my ITBS gets too much I reduce my miles for a few weeks.  Some people substitute running w/cycling or the elliptical if their legs allow for it.  Please see your doctor if the pain persists just in case it's not ITB.  Other knee injuries can also mimic ITBS.

Good luck to you, and happy running.

Live, love, run

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...