Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3612 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2011 5:45 AM by Marykb 1 2 Previous Next
RunninUgly Expert 56 posts since
Dec 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2011 6:09 PM

Learned a very valuable lesson today.

I guess the old saying is true that some lessons you just have to learn the hard way. Went out for a run this morning and did my 14 mile loop. I was using my new Garmin Forerunner 405 which I love, but I was watching my pace and trying to keep it around 10:00/miles. Well I did and was doing pretty good until mile 10 when I crashed full on into the wall. I couldn't keep up any kind of pace and even when I tried walking my left leg did not like that a bit. It seemed to take forever to finish that last 4 miles to home. I went out to fast and tried pushing myself to hard. I am feeling pretty good now, but I could barely walk for a couple of hours after I got home. So the advice I have to offer is listen to your body, if you body tells you that you are going to fast you probably are. I knew this and usually abided by this rule but today I decided to push it and well I wish I hadn't now.  But I completed the run which I feel good about but my next LSD run will be SLOW. LOL

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

Jacksonville Marine Corps Half Marathon- 1 Oct 11

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge- 7-8 Jan 12

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

through the obstruction."  William James

• Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    1. Apr 8, 2011 7:29 PM (in response to RunninUgly)
    Re: Learned a very valuable lesson today.

Ooooouuuuch. I'm assuming your legs are feeling better now?

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    3. Apr 8, 2011 10:53 PM (in response to Michelle74149)

With the 405, you have the HR monitor.  If you run by HR and not by pace, this will help you listen to your body.  When your body gets tired, you can keep the same HR but you pace will slow. You will still get the benefit of the workout, even at the slower pace.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

Mar 4, 2011
    5. Apr 9, 2011 5:57 AM (in response to RunninUgly)

I can relate. I'm new and only running 3.1 miles at a time, but even at that distance there are times I struggle with knowing when to push through something and when to cut my body a little slack. By reading posts like yours and of other more expereinced runners I'm hoping to learn the lessons without having to suffer myself!

• KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010
    6. Apr 9, 2011 6:06 AM (in response to RunninUgly)

Jim,

I did that in my first HM.

Make sure that you get a couple of rest days in and take your next couple of runs easy so your legs can recover.

Kirk

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31

Run for the Zoo 5K 6/03 19:57 PR

13.1 Chicago 6/09 1:50

North Shore Half 6/10 1:46

Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22

Chicago Half 9/09

Fox Valley Marathon 9/16

Chicago Marathon 10/07

• NorCal02466 Amateur 28 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    8. Apr 9, 2011 11:51 AM (in response to RunninUgly)

Jim - CONGRATS on learning the lesson - it sounds obvious, maybe, but so many people blame something outside themselves and just keep doing what they are doing, even when it's clearly not helping them.  It's humbling, but hey, happens to all of us!  So, great job!

NorCal02466

"And if you don't give up, and don't give in, you may just be OK"... Mike and the Mechanics

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

Jul 7, 2009
    9. Apr 10, 2011 5:37 PM (in response to RunninUgly)

RunninUgly wrote:

Thanks devoted. I am buying the HR monitor strap next week and plan on using my HR zones to guage my runs. I am sure that will slow me down quite a bit. But I am hoping over time to get a little faster by doing some interval work and fartleks.

Actually, that is the beauty of HR training.  If you do the mojority of the runs in Zone 2 (on the 5 zone scale) then your body will learn to work more efficiently. If you just stick to that HR zone, you will find that you wil be running faster but in the same zone. 

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

Flollow me on twitter

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Apr 10, 2011 6:04 PM (in response to RunninUgly)

Thanks for sharing.. my Garmin 305 came with HR monitor. I wear it but midchest hurts the after wearing it.

Jul 7, 2009
    12. Apr 11, 2011 1:15 PM (in response to flamomof3)

flamomof3 wrote:

Thanks for sharing.. my Garmin 305 came with HR monitor. I wear it but midchest hurts the after wearing it.

I believe Garmin also makes a cloth HR strap that I hear is a little more comfortable.

St3ven

Flollow me on twitter

Mar 4, 2011
    13. Apr 11, 2011 4:15 PM (in response to RunninUgly)

I had to share this-- On Sunday I went for a run. Just under a mile and a half in I got a pain in the outside of my right knee. I didn't know if I should stop or keep going...I'm stubborn and hate to think of myself as a wimp. Yep, I kept going. By the time I hit 3 miles I was limping and by that afternoon I could barely walk. So nope. I did not learn the easy way. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Jul 7, 2009
    14. Apr 11, 2011 11:51 PM (in response to Michelle74149)

Michelle74149 wrote:

I had to share this-- On Sunday I went for a run. Just under a mile and a half in I got a pain in the outside of my right knee. I didn't know if I should stop or keep going...I'm stubborn and hate to think of myself as a wimp. Yep, I kept going. By the time I hit 3 miles I was limping and by that afternoon I could barely walk. So nope. I did not learn the easy way. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Sounds like ITBS.  Stretch and roll, baby! Stretch and Roll!! (And ice of course)

St3ven

Flollow me on twitter

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...