Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2756 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2011 12:53 PM by OshCat RSS
aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
Oct 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 24, 2011 7:18 PM

What is your favorite music to run with?

To me, it's all about the music. If the music has the right beat, the running goes better. Do you have motivating music you run with?

aprillilly
  • rossrun4fun Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 30, 2008
    1. Apr 4, 2011 8:11 PM (in response to aprillilly)
    Re: What is your favorite music to run with?

Hi, just started adding music to my runs and really enjoy it, but keep the volume down enough so that I can listen for the traffic around me. One thing I have noticed is that when the beat quickens with some of the artists I listen to that my pace will also quicken, particularly with some classic rock tunes. It adds an element of fun to it and gives the mind something to think about instead of the day's "To Do" list. It is really a good addition for long training runs of 3 or more hours.

Some of the artists I've collected over time have songs that reference running and this adds an additional element of appreciation for the music while pounding pavement. CCR's "Up around the bend", Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run", and Jackson Brown's "Running on empty" are  a few of my choices with references to running. There's probably a good long list of songs with "Run" in them.

Cheers/Happy Running

• RonHayward Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 9, 2010
    2. Apr 7, 2011 7:55 PM (in response to rossrun4fun)

I too enjoy some classic rock- the beat being the important motivator- not the song subject. I recently attended my weekly worked class where the instructor played the Rocky Theme serveral times- really motivating- I plan to add it to my iPod.

• rossrun4fun Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 30, 2008
    5. Apr 28, 2011 8:03 PM (in response to aprillilly)

Hi, I forgot to add another of my favorite songs with "running" in the lyrics: Led Zeppelin's "Fool in the Rain". It has a great beat and is a neat--typical guy--story. You might like it as well. Happy running.

• SnowGoosebc Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010
    6. May 11, 2011 12:02 PM (in response to aprillilly)

Rolling stones and Creedance Clearwater Rev. get me pounding the trail!!!

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    7. Jul 30, 2011 4:33 AM (in response to SnowGoosebc)

I can't believe I've been on this forum for this long and haven't noticed this section!  Geez - I love that you know and apparently love the music from 'my' era!  I love old style r&r.  I've found Bob Seger has some great music to run to, as well as Queen, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd - the list goes on and on.  Makes my run almost fun!

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• justamaniac Pro 135 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    9. Aug 16, 2011 9:46 AM (in response to aprillilly)

You are going to possibly think that I am insane, but you mentioned Gaga.  I've been running and listening to the genre of "club electronica" (yes, I'm 50+ and a rock&roll fan, but...).  This genre has a great steady beat to run to and you can find songs with great melody's.  It's basically electronic music, almost "new agey" with a nice beat and rising and falling crescendos.  Some examples, "Face to Face" - Armin VanBuuren, "Come Home" - Alpha 9, "Can't Sleep" - Above & Beyond.  I find that it drives me during my run, yet calms me down and lets the miles literally run by.  On top of that, it's really different!  Pandora (Internet radio - its free) is a great source for this.  If you have an iPhone or Android it'll work great for you.  I just thought that I would share....

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    10. Aug 16, 2011 12:53 PM (in response to aprillilly)

I've got a great mix of genre's on my iPod... Outkast, Van Halen (the Sammy years), Pink, Billy Idol, Beyonce...  I only use it on the treadmill now though, I found that I enjoy hearing nature and/or keeping an ear on traffic when I run outside.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points