Skip navigation

2359 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2011 1:08 PM by dogma43 RSS
nt2nt1 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 1, 2011 9:52 AM

Difference between Tier1 and Tier2 at young age ?

Just wondering what the difference is between 1 and 2 at 12 and under. I had a friend of mine playing tier 2 and his team was beating up on tier 1 teams and he paid about $2000 less ! Then I hear that this other lady bring her son to tryouts to whoever will take him...Now she has money to burn but her kid couldn't play on my sons inhouse team !!!! Is this what this sport is all about.....I feel that the upper blubs should just tell the parent hey....you gotta go ! Is it all about money ? Is there a need for kids to be put on a team so that the parent can put a sticker on the back of the car ? Now with that being said, I need to know is it worth the extra money to have my son play tier1 if he can or just tier2 , or will this hurt him.......

• SOS12 Rookie 7 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    1. Apr 9, 2011 7:11 AM (in response to nt2nt1)
    Re: Difference between Tier1 and Tier2 at young age ?

It won't hurt him to play tier 2 in fact it will probably help him....now aren't you going to ask me why?

• MChiefs11 Pro 153 posts since
    Aug 28, 2004
    2. Apr 11, 2011 8:57 AM (in response to nt2nt1)

Speed of game overall is better at Tier I. When you consistently play other Tier I teams, your player will learn to work harder, and be more consistent at a higher rate of speed. Most Tier I major teams (ex: Pee Wee Major this upcoming year is 99, Bantam Major is 97, Squirt Major is 01) will beat all Tier II competition at same level. Many Tier I Major teams will not even consider playing against Tier II competition.

You may have some competitive games between minor year teams and AA (Tier II), but saying you consistently beat Tier I teams (Minor year Tier I will usually be the only ones who would play any Tier II team) is not telling the whole truth when a AA (Tier II)  is made up of mostly Major Year players at the level.

This is probably confusing to a lot, so you may have to talk to someone who has been involved with Tier I and Tier II. Like Myself!

• SOS12 Rookie 7 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    3. Apr 11, 2011 6:45 PM (in response to MChiefs11)

Save your money and put it in his or her college fund.  At the young ages it does not matter. Your local DVHL A/AA levels are fine. The majority of true hockey skill development comes after puberty.

Not to say that you can't be proud of your child at a young age because he is better than the other kids but by 15 -16 yrs old we shuffle the deck all over again.

Remember the story about the ugly duckling......

Let them play to have fun, gain a love for the game and enjoy childhood. All the time spent in the car going to the AAA travel games could have been spent on the driveway playing for hours with friends developing skills or doing another sport to develop athletic ability.  Rememeber they get 5 shifts a period and touch the puck on average about 45 seconds in a game. Doesn't seem worth it for the travel drives and hotel rooms. 

There will be plenty of time for intense competitive sports in the teenage years and you want to make sure you don't burn them out before.

This philosophy worked for my son and he did just fine.   Another friend of mine had a son play basically B-A level hockey until he was 16. Then he decided  to try out and made a AAA team at 16-17 and ended up playing major Junior hockey in Canada.  Hasn't made it to the pros yet. Probably won't like the 99.9999% of  others that have the dream.

At the end of the day its not the best hockey players that play at the highest levels of the sport, its the best athletes that decide to play hockey.

• dogma43 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 4, 2010
    4. May 22, 2011 1:08 PM (in response to nt2nt1)

i have to agree with SOS my son played a/aa hockey up thru high school went to lake superior state as a walk on and made the D-! team he played all but 8 games and was right in the middle with points and scoring . my issue now with the tier 1 programs is that they have been so watered down in the last 10 years that i believe there are only 6 players that should actually be there and the otheres are just a money players, over paying for the opportunity to say they are a tier 1 team player.i now have 2 pw players and they are doing just fine they play for love of the game not thier parents ego that they are the best and going to the nhl. i just like watching them play and the enjoyment and pride they take evrytime they step on the ice in thier hockey sweater.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points