Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3552 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2011 5:45 AM by Marykb RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Apr 12, 2011 5:10 AM (in response to thedevotedrunner)
    Re: Learned a very valuable lesson today.

That's what I keep hearing..itbs. And yep-- stretch and roll! Gah. I hate rest.

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    17. Apr 12, 2011 5:45 AM (in response to RunninUgly)
    Re: Learned a very valuable lesson today.

LOL.  "Listen to your body" has always been one of my cardinal running rules.  I remember a while back, I got into a lively *discussion* with another member whose opinion is that you should NEVER listen to your body.  "Your body will tell you to stop, but you never need to stop....you should ignore what your body is telling you and keep going no matter what because it is your mind that will get you there".   I disagreed!  Although that rah-rah attitude sounds good in theory (Mind over Matter) the cold hard truth is that your body does have limitations and you need to respect that.  The place where your mind shows your body who's boss is in training your body to reach new challenges.  You can, and should, push yourself past your comfort zone, but not to the point of injury.

You did a great run, although you paced it too fast.  We've all done it because it is hard to keep the pace down on those long runs.  But you will be better prepared for your next long run!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...