Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1386 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2011 1:42 PM by Corvallis Blue
Phillieball Pro 99 posts since
Mar 23, 2001
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 1, 2011 8:29 PM

Replacing Injured Runner Under LL CBO

I thought that I had seen this answer somewhere but can't find it in LL Greenbook erules or searching here.  Please forgive me if I missed the obvious.

The rule book says that you can skip over an injured player when going through the batting order.  What happens if the injury happens to a runner?  I can't seem to find a procedure.

One of the umpires new to our league (but not new to LL) insists that the player comes off the bases with no replacement since there is no special pinch runner under CBO and no offensive substitution.  I thought that I had read somewhere that the player who made the last out would be the pinch runner, but again, I can't find it.

Thanks for your help.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Apr 1, 2011 8:39 PM (in response to Phillieball)
    Re: Replacing Injured Runner Under LL CBO

LL recommendation from the RIM:

League is using the CBO and a player is at bat, hits the ball and is hurt while running the bases. Who takes his place on the base? It is recommended that the last out of the previous inning is the player who is substituted to run for the injured player. Or you can even use the last out of that offensive inning. What you need to watch out for is getting in a situation where the offensive team needs a run and all of a sudden they need a runner and "they" select the team’s fastest runner. Make it clean and in writing so there will never be any questions.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Apr 4, 2011 7:03 AM (in response to Phillieball)

What Rich posted is from the LL Website on CBO Situations.

Here's the link:

http://www.littleleague.org/learn/rules/ruleinterpretations/0704ruleinterpretationapr07.htm

Here is what's there:

Rule 4.04

1. League uses the continuous batting order and a player gets hurt, sick, or ejected while at-bat. What do we do now?

Answer: The batter or runner who made the most recent out in that inning, or the runner who scored the most recent run in that inning, (whichever is more recent) takes the place of the injured/ill/ejected batter, assumes the count, and the game continues. If no outs or runs have been recorded in that inning, the batter who completed the final at-bat of the previous inning takes the place of the injured/ill/ejected batter. If the injury/illness/ejection occurs in the first inning, and no outs or runs have been recorded, the batter who is next in the lineup assumes the count and the game continues. However, the replacement batter would only be used in that lineup spot once. If the injured/ill/ejected player is unable to continue in the game, his/her spot is merely skipped over on each subsequent at-bat.

2. League is using the CBO and a player is at bat, hits the ball and is hurt while running the bases. Who takes his place on the base?

It is recommended that the last out of the previous inning is the player who is substituted to run for the injured player. Or you can even use the last out of that offensive inning. What you need to watch out for is getting in a situation where the offensive team needs a run and all of a sudden they need a runner and “they” select the team’s fastest runner. Make it clean and in writing so there will never be any questions.

3. League is using the CBO at the Junior/Senior/Big League level and wants to take its pitcher off the mound put him/her in the dugout for a rest and bring him/her back later because he/she is still in the line up. Can they do that?

No, not really. While admittedly the player is still in the batting order, however, when they took the pitcher off the mound and moved him/her to the dugout they lost their chance to bring the pitcher back. The rule was written to keep the pitcher in the lineup both offensively and defensively.

• Corvallis Blue Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    4. Apr 12, 2011 1:36 PM (in response to Lou_B)

Here's the simple way I remember how to manage a substitution of an injured/sick offensive player when continuous batting order is being used...

Beginning just ahead of the injured player, scan the lineup in reverse order until you reach a player that is not currently on base.  That is your pinch runner/batter. 

If the injured player was batting, the count is inherited by the special, one-time pinch hitter.  If the injured player is unable to return to the game, then his/her batting position is skipped over on each subsequent at-bat.

Special case (because LL's interpretation added this complexity): If the defensive player is injured while still at bat and it's the first inning and there have been no runs or outs on that team, then we skip to the next batter in the order, who inherits the count already on the injured batter.

Just my $0.02 worth (before taxes).

- Corvallis Blue

P.S. If our local league adopts a rule to clarify this, I will recommend eliminating the 'special case' that skips to the next batter.  I think it would be simpler to follow the approach I outlined in blue above in all cases.  Using this interpretation, in the rare event that a player is injured in the 1st inning before any outs/runs on their team, the player at the bottom of the order would finish their at-bat in their place.  I think that situation is rare enough that keeping the interpretation simple outweighs whatever rationale suggested that the next batter should step in.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Apr 12, 2011 11:56 AM (in response to Corvallis Blue)

You said: "Here's the simple way I remember how to manage a substitution of an injured/sick defensive player when continuous batting order is being used..."

Replacing an injured/sick "defensive" player with CBO is pretty much the same as when batting only 9 players, just put an eligible sub from the bench in for the injured player !!!

I'm pretty sure you meant "offensive" player not "defensive" player". 

• Corvallis Blue Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    6. Apr 12, 2011 1:42 PM (in response to Lou_B)

Duh, my bad.  Yes, I meant offensive.  I've edited the post to read correctly.  Good catch -- thanks.

When just playing 9, a manager could use some judgement in choosing which alternate they put in for an injured batter or runner (within other substutution and minimum play requirements, of course).  But with the continuous order, they don't get to choose -- it is formulaic.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points