Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

25228 Views 140 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2011 4:57 AM by drbojangles Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next
  • angussue Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011

So I just read your last post and all I could think about was the title for this thread . . .   I think you've achieved it. 

And I will too . . . one day.    I'm taking it VERY slowly (repeating Week 1, but so very ready for Week 2 to start!!!), so I don't won't quit!

Keep on keepin' on!

Cindy

• gbbeast Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011

Dr. BO, so glad to hear that you did so well on W6 D3! It is awesome to hear! I decided to play basketball yesterday instead of my run and I am finding that since I play extremely hard for short bursts, I am better off on my longer runs. Today I woke up with my Quad severely tight and I don't think I will be able to run today. All is well though, I start the Bridge to 10K next week as long as my legs allow it!

Ryan

Completed Races:

Kelly Shamrock 5K Baltimore, MD- March 13th- Completed 31:44

1st Annual America's VetDogs 5K Run/Walk Annapolis, MD- April 3rd- Completed 27:03.8

Upcoming Races:

Warrior Dash Mechanicsville, MD- May 21st 5pm Heat

Charm City Run 5K Trail Run at Boordy Vineyards Hydes, Maryland- August 21st

2011 Baltimore Running Festival 5K Race Baltimore, MD- October 15th

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay Monterey, CA- November 20th

Feb 17, 2011

I haven't been on lately and, unfortunately, I haven't been running much either. Playing a lot of basketball which gives me my exercise, but I haven't been out for a long run in almost a week. Very much not like me! Really bad weather here today...no treadmill either. Guess the weather is just going with how I feel today...CRAPPY! I will get back to it ASAP!

Ryan

Completed Races:

1st Annual America's VetDogs 5K Run/Walk Annapolis, MD- April 3rd- Completed 27:03.8

Upcoming Races:

• goodoldgal Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011

Hi Bo.

I just read your post the one where you noted that W2D2 was THE HARDEST.  Well, I did W2D2 yesterday, and I am terribly embarassed and frustrated and sad that it was so hard for me.

I guess I can take it a couple of ways:  QUIT (never NEVER) or re-do it, or just move on to W2D3.  As you know, W2 D2 and W2 D3 are EXACTLY THE SAME) so to help my PSYCH I have decided to redo W2D2 DAY 2, and that will basically give me an extra day on Week 2.  AND NOT QUIT!

I AM GOING TO BE A RUNNER!  Thanks for your honesty because otherwise I would think just everyone on here was an *Iron Man/Woman* and how annoyed would I be then!

After I get GOOD at this I am going to reward myself with some awesome running clothes.  Instead of da baggy jeans and massive sweatshirt.  ANOTHER INCENTIVE for me.  GO GO GO.

Good Old Gal

• Nadine Runs Expert 57 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007

good 'ol gal,

Love your Never say Never spirit.  There is a quote that says "runners aren't BORN, they are MADE"....which you are finding out.  As a sport of specificity, everything you want to achieve comes from practicing it.  If you want to go faster, run faster.  Want to go farther?  Run farther!  The fact that you are following a plan and will complete it says a lot about your commitment level, and i love love LOVE the reward you have planned for yourself.  Especially w/summer right around the corner on the calendar, some new running clothes will be well deserved.

When I started w/a 1/2 mile jog/ 1/2 mile walk, I started referring to myself as a "RUNNER"...when you claim it, it becomes reality.  Live "AS IF".   Pretty soon it will just be your lifestyle, you'll be known as "A Runner."

so happy for you and your commitment to this program.  It works.  Its not always easy, but makes the Victory that much sweeter....

BE WELL!

nadine

Mar 29, 2011

good ol' gal,

You are so not alone!!  I took the COUCH to 5K so very literally (hadn't gotten my duff off the couch all winter!!), I had to repeat week 1.  I figure, if I want to stick with this (and do I ever!!), going too fast (in the program, not speed) will only set me up for failure.  The up-side was that W1BD3 went so well, I was running 2 minutes a couple of the legs instead of 1 minute . . .and I was incredibly stoked to start week 2.  I haven't run W2D2 yet (I'm taking today off to rest my knees - ugh, another story) and am hoping to jump back on it tomorrow.  You're actually more experienced than me!  : )  I guess what I'm saying is it's good that you knew what you can do, adjusted this program to fit it and are keeping on with it.

Cindy

Mar 29, 2011

Hey, Y'all.

I was thinking . . . a couple of you mentioned that W2D2 was one of the hardest runs you've had . . . I'm not there yet, but about my 6th day running (I repeated W1), I had some serious tightness in my hamstrings and quads - even after stretching - which slowly morphed into knee pain.  When you said it was a "hard" day, are you talking tightness, etc. or sucking wind or just feeling like you're going to collapse?  (all of which I've felt at some point over the last 2 1/2 weeks!)

I'm concerned b/c I don't know if this "pain" is just tightness from running or if I have some sort of injury (which I doubt, b/c I could go ahead and run slowly and carefully, yet finish my day AFTER I started having trouble).  Matter of fact, it actually seems better, though I've been off 2 days instead of 1 . . .  Certainly not 100%, and it gets a bit worse after a run, but then recovers to 75%ish more quickly than before.

After talking to my husband, we laughed that it CAN'T be wear and tear on my knees, b/c I've never used them before!  ha ha   He joked that I was just "breaking them in."  : )  I would certainly see a doctor if I NEED to, but don't want to pay the bill for a Dr to say I need to stretch more . . . you know what I mean?

Any thoughts or experience you want to share?

Thanks,

Cindy

PS  Can I even say, "I'm on my 6th day running" when I'm only at W2D2?????  I mean, there's WAY more walking than running . . .

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

angussue wrote:

Hey, Y'all.

I was thinking . . . a couple of you mentioned that W2D2 was one of the hardest runs you've had . . . I'm not there yet, but about my 6th day running (I repeated W1), I had some serious tightness in my hamstrings and quads - even after stretching - which slowly morphed into knee pain.  When you said it was a "hard" day, are you talking tightness, etc. or sucking wind or just feeling like you're going to collapse?  (all of which I've felt at some point over the last 2 1/2 weeks!)

I'm concerned b/c I don't know if this "pain" is just tightness from running or if I have some sort of injury (which I doubt, b/c I could go ahead and run slowly and carefully, yet finish my day AFTER I started having trouble).  Matter of fact, it actually seems better, though I've been off 2 days instead of 1 . . .  Certainly not 100%, and it gets a bit worse after a run, but then recovers to 75%ish more quickly than before.

After talking to my husband, we laughed that it CAN'T be wear and tear on my knees, b/c I've never used them before!  ha ha   He joked that I was just "breaking them in."  : )  I would certainly see a doctor if I NEED to, but don't want to pay the bill for a Dr to say I need to stretch more . . . you know what I mean?

Any thoughts or experience you want to share?

Thanks,

Cindy

PS  Can I even say, "I'm on my 6th day running" when I'm only at W2D2?????  I mean, there's WAY more walking than running . . .

You know your body better than anyone else so go with your gut overall.

That said it may be running related tightness. If you can get through your run reasonably comfortably it may be that you need a little more gentle stretching, and maybe some focus on the sore bits - like a foam roller or deep muscle massage - I've heard even using a tennis ball (push/rolling it on the sore bits) can work. I know when I tried a foam roller recently I helped loosen up  the tightness I had plus some I didn't even realise was there lol.

There would be no shame in having an extra rest day here and there as well if you pull up extra sore, and some stretching on your off days could be beneficial - maybe a short warm up walk followed by some stretching or some yoga. I guess the most important thing is to go slowly with whatever you try and listen to your body - if something feels wrong don't do it.

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

Mar 29, 2011

Yea!  I just got back from W2D2 and while my knees didn't feel great at first, they seemed to feel stronger as I went on.  Weird, but I'll take it . . .  : )  Matter of fact, I'm not feeling any discomfort in them to speak of at all now (2 hours after I got done).  -- No telling how I'll feel tomorrow.  I guess REALLY stretching helped a lot.  I think I was just going through the motions before.  Still going to take it slowly/carefully, but looking forward to moving on!

Feb 17, 2011

So the running tightness happens to everyone. I will tell you, I see a chiropractor because of some back/shoulder injuries in the past, and he saw me limping one day after a run. He asked and I told him that I had some tightness in my hamstring and that I couldn't afford an injury. He used a muscle roller, I think it is called "THE STICK." I almost purchased one IMMEDIATELY! I will say that, "KNOCK ON WOOD," I haven't had many injuries and haven't needed much other than a good pre/post stretch. I really only focus on 3-4 stretches before I run and it has been working for me. I do the old "Sprinter Stretches" "Quad Stretches" "Calf Stretches" and I loosen up my back. This works for me and I am a big stickler for tradition/superstition and therefore, this is what I do. I am routine oriented and I keep doing the same things before I run as well.

So it is 10:00pm here and I am coming off of my BEST RUN EVER! I am really pumped up because I haven't run much lately and I was beating myself up inside. Last night I set myself a new goal and I am going to achieve it....I will tell you more later, this is one I am going to keep to myself for a little bit. Today, a friend texted and asked if I wanted to run tonight. I thought that it would be a nice little easy run tonight to get me back into the routine and then next week, my SPRING BREAK (I am a teacher), I planned to start a new program. I got out tonight and settled into the best pace of my life, quite accidentally, and I kept it up. I ran 5K Distance and I ran it the fastest that I have ever run it. I am really proud and it gives me faith that I can accomplish my new goal!

Moral of story...Set goals and you never know what will happen, especially if you give yourself rest and the proper fuel! I hope everyone has a night like I just had!

Ryan

Completed Races:

Upcoming Races:

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...