Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

542 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2011 7:26 PM by rossrun4fun RSS
runrchick79 Amateur 14 posts since
Feb 19, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2011 6:14 PM

starting back after injury

I am currently sidelined with some knee issues and I am under the care of a sports med doctor for. I am being treated with Euflexxa injections and hoping to return to running in a month or two. While I am out of running, my doctor has given the go ahead to use an elliptical on a regular basis, so I am doing that 3-4 times per week for 30-40 minutes. When I return to running it will have been at least three months since I have run. How should I start back? Is there a program I can look at to get  an idea of a smart way to ease back into running? I should still have some fitness level built up from the elliptical, but I dont want to do to much too fast and reinjure the knee.  Just looking for some ideas...there is a run in town in October I want to do...I have the option of a 5K, 10K or half in this run, so when I start back that is my training focus in hopes to at least be able to do the 10k....would love to do the half but that might be unrealistic, thoughts?

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    1. Apr 14, 2011 6:29 AM (in response to runrchick79)
    Re: starting back after injury

A year ago I was out for 11 weeks, and  I also was able to use an ellipitical, usually three times a week for an hour and a half. I started back jogging 1 minute and walking two for about 3/4 of a mile (then walking the 3/4 mile back home), every other day for about a week. Then I jogged about a mille and half, and did that every other day for a week, after which I jogged three miles, still at a very slow speed, then four miles, still with rest days in between. According to my log I was back to running my usual mileage within about six weeks, although even now I am not consistently running as fast as I did prior to the injury.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Robin

• rossrun4fun Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 30, 2008
    2. Apr 15, 2011 7:26 PM (in response to runrchick79)
    Re: starting back after injury

Hi, am curious what the diagnosis was for the knee injury?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...