Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3617 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2011 1:27 PM by Gravity06 RSS
Justine Knox Rookie 5 posts since
Mar 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 13, 2011 2:18 PM

A New Me

Hello, I am fairly new to this site and am very excited about meeting new people.  I am recently remarried and am looking to get fit and live healthier while giving my husband something just a little more sexier to look at on a regular basis.  I started dieting and now I am ready to start running, which is something I have tried several times over the past 15 years.  Today will be W1W1 and I am really nervous and excited all together.  I am not sure if I want my husband to run with me or if I should do it alone.  We spend so much time together and I think this is something I really want for myself.  I plan on giving updates on a regular basis.

• HydeParkJogger Pro 63 posts since
    Apr 10, 2011
    1. Apr 13, 2011 3:13 PM (in response to Justine Knox)
    Re: A New Me

Good luck!!  Come join my 'Starting April 10th' thread if you want a virtual running partner or two   I'm going to go for my W1D3 run in about 7 hours.

And for what it's worth, I prefer to run on my own and am enjoying the support of this communities in lieu of a jogging buddy.

Better get to sleep now....

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Apr 13, 2011 11:26 PM (in response to Justine Knox)

Running with a partner is cool, but if you want the time for "me" time, that is ok as well.  There is nothing saying thay you can't train seperately, and then run together once a week, or once every other week, or so. 

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    3. Apr 14, 2011 5:52 AM (in response to Justine Knox)

Welcome to the community  of runners Justine.  Running is a strange and wonderful activity.  It is a blend of stress and relaxation, ... the here and now and the yesterdays and tomorrows,  you immediately have friends you've never met. All it takes is some commitment and some time and you there.  The next few months may seem hard at times, but there will most certainly be times in which you find happpiness and accomplishment.

Check into the Penguins to meet a whole bunch of folks that are in various stages of their running lives.

http://community.active.com/thread/91142/calling-all-penguins-slow-runners/0/0

You might want to move toward the end of the thread to see what is going on lately.

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• SiberMom Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    6. Apr 14, 2011 7:43 AM (in response to Justine Knox)

Hi Justine, congratulations on getting started!  I am also very new to running, and I am looking forward to the day that I enjoy it.  That hasn't happened yet, but I am only a couple of weeks in.  Currently I am running with my husband (I'm 49), but I'm finding it hard to keep up with his longer legs.  I've signed up for a 1/2 marathon in June, but it is a run/walk with 6 hours to get the job done.  Since I have been walking regularly, I can walk the entire thing and be done in time.  I would like to run about half of it though in spurts.  This community has been so supportive and is where I find the inspiration to keep going.

Denise

Cooter 5K completed May 28, 2011 in 34:05!

Lake Placid Half Marathon  June 12, 2011 in 2:48:06!

Madrid Bluegrass Ramble 5K completed  June 25, 2011 in 34:38!

Massena 5K completed July 2, 2011 in 34:48 with casualites...LOL!

Tour de Potsdam 5K completed July 14, 2011: untimed

Maine Half Marathon scheduled October 2, 2011

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Apr 14, 2011 11:57 AM (in response to Justine Knox)

Good Luck!

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    9. Apr 14, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to Justine Knox)

Welcome and good luck with everything.  I wish you good luck on your running.  Maybe once in a while you and your husband can run together, at some park far enough from where you live but is a favorite of both of you to visit.  Then closer to home you can do your solo running, all for your benefit.  Being in different environments and running alone or with someone will help keep the running interesting and allow your running to improve.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    10. Jul 31, 2011 1:27 PM (in response to flamomof3)

flamomof3 wrote:

Good Luck!

Hey there!

Haven't seen you in while.

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...