Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6122 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2011 5:35 PM by Julie Ann Hackett RSS 1 2 Previous Next
thegirlwholoves2much Rookie 5 posts since
Apr 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 13, 2011 7:55 PM

New runner who needs a lot of help PLEASE!!!

I need some advice from experienced joggers. I am an overweight ( putting it nicely) woman trying to incorporate jogging into my workouts. I've never jogged before. I'm trying to jog, but I can't catch my breath. On a good day I can run the full minute. On a bad day like today, I can only run for 45 seconds without feeling completely winded. It takes almost the full 5 minutes to recover.  I feel so discouraged. Everything in the lower half of my body hurts   Please help. I want to run a 5k but I don't know that I will reach my training goal by June. Any words of encouragement or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

• RunninUgly Expert 56 posts since
    Dec 30, 2008

First let me start by saying good for you for getting out there and doing it. Listen to your body and run as far as you can within the limits of your plan. Take it slow and don't expect results over night. You will start to improve, your breathing will get better with time. If you are out of breath after a minute it sounds to me like you are going to fast. Slow down and take your time. It might be frustrating at first but with patients and hard work it will get better. You should be able to carry on a conversation as you run so maybe use that as your guide. Good luck and keep us posted! Again good for you for getting out there!

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

Jacksonville Marine Corps Half Marathon- 1 Oct 11

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge- 7-8 Jan 12

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

through the obstruction."  William James

• rocketeermom Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011

I am not an experienced runner but I can relate to your problem.  I am not in a good shape myself and badly needed to exercise.  I started walking around my neighborhood and slowly doing little jogs here and there.  It was difficult in the beginning but with a little motivation, you can do it.  I don't like using ipod in my walks but instead I use that time concentrating how to breath and daydreaming of that black little dress I'm gonna be wearing when I reach my goal.  Pace yourself in the beginning by walking 10 to 15 mins a day, then add more time the week after.  Soon you will add jogging into your walks.  Make it a routine but importantly give yourself a break.  I used to hate running but now I can't wait to get up in the morning and see if I can beat my time from the day before.  I still haven't reached my goal yet but slowly getting there so wish me luck! Keep me posted.

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Hey girlwholoves, congrats on getting out there! If you're winded after 45 seconds or so and it takes you a full 5 minutes to recover though, I'd urge you to slow down a bit, even if that means slowing to a fast walk. Keep in mind that the goal is to make this a lifetime activity, you have plenty of time in the future to get faster -- right now, just concentrate on adding a small amount of distance each week. Have you looked at the Couch to 5K program?

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011

Girlwholoves

Congrats on getting out there - you can do this.

I´m doing the C25k program now (just finished W5D2 yahooo!) but I didn´t start my program on it. For ten weeks before I was simply doing walking, slowly at first then more and faster. By the start of March I was walking over an hour at 3.5mph or better. That´s when I started the walk-run program and the transition has been relatively easy - not easy easy easy - but easier.

From what I´ve seen, the biggest mistake new runners make is running too fast. If you are starting, and especially if you are a lot over weight -BMI well over 30 like me - then slow is the way to go. I have often joked that I get passed by tortoises and snails. Just try going at a rate that can barely be called the slowest run imaginable, Just make it a shuffle faster than your fast walk. Speed will build with time. Go very slow and you´ll get there faster than you will think.

Good luck!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011

Do not quit!  You are doing great.  You are off the couch and moving.  That's where everyone needs to start.  You've already gotten fabulous encouragement and suggestions here, but the most important is take it slow and build with time.  Sometimes you need to start with simply walking to build up to beginning to run a little.  That was me.  I could walk pretty briskly and talk before I started putting running in, and even then I would get very winded.  When I do my recovery walks between runs, I was also going too fast at first and it took me a long time to finally get my breath back.  I slowed down - WAY down until I was embarrassed to call it running, but you know what.  I did.  And I'm building endurance.  Endurance comes first - speed later.  Feel good about yourself for starting.  John "Penguin" Bingham has many quotes, but my favorite is "The miracle isn't that I finished, it's that I had the courage to start".   I don't know about you, but it took me a looooong time to get as out of shape as I am - I've got to expect it to take a while to get back into shape.  Keep your chin up, slow down, and continue to put one foot in front of the other!  You can do this....

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011

Hey New Girl who loves to (N?),

I just started last week with the C25K training program and I too have your issue of trying to catch my breath.  The first replyer is right, that if you go a little slower, even a crawl, it will help.  The important thing is to keep moving, even if very slow.  Over time, you will be able to go farther, faster, and breathe easier.  Good luck on the challenge, and since we are doing this together at pretty much the same phase, we can help each other through this.  Do you have a 5K in June in mind, or is June just a goal?  I am thinking about doing a 5K on July 16th.  Keep in touch and don't quit.  We are all here for you. 

Simon

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

In a word, here's your answer:  WALK

I know you want to run and that is a great goal.  But you have to begin at the beginning!  Although some people can start running with no previous experience, many people need to build up to a base fitness level before beginning to run, especially if you are out of shape.

Trust me on this, walking - and by that I mean long, brisk walks - will get you in shape.  In fact if getting in shape is your primary goal and you are significantly overweight, then walking is your better bet.  It will help you lose weight, tone up your muscles and condition your cardiovascular system....all without the stresses that running puts on your body.  As you become more fit, then running is the next step for taking your fitness to the next level.

Please be patient with yourself and take it one step at a time (pun intended!)  You aren't doing yourself any good to go out and run for a minute only to end up gasping for breath.  To get into shape, you need to exercise at a level that you can sustain for 30-45 minutes.  So you can see that those little bursts of running aren't going to do it.   But walking every day (yes, unlike running you can walk every day!) at a brisk pace for at least 30 minutes WILL WORK FOR YOU!  Please try it and let us know how you're doing.  It takes time and commitment, but if you are willing to put in the hard work you WILL reach your goals!  Good luck!

• mymy2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011

Hi Girlwholoves,

I was in the same "shoes" last year, I could not run for 60 seconds without feeling sick. I started the c25k and did it for 4 weeks but never left week 2 of the program! But I lost a lot og weight while doing it. I am obese and type II diabetic and decided to be healthy before my 40th birthday so I started the c25k again last week. I have been walking 5k for a few months now and I am finding the program much easier this time but my run isn't much more than a bouncy walk, lol. I have a lot of support at home but no one wants to run/walk with me =( I hope we can all support each other with these challenges...Kepp it up, you are amazing!!

Dec 30, 2008

Great news Tish! You can do it. If my old *** can get out there and run anyone can.  LOL

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

Dec 30, 2008

You go girl!!

Jim

Upcoming Races:

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points