Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

688 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2011 11:55 AM by flamomof3 RSS
tjdieter Rookie 7 posts since
Apr 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 14, 2011 8:45 AM

Hello All!

I love running, except I can't go far for long. I started weight watchers 2 weeks ago and have lost 10lbs so far. I delivered a son 2 years ago in May and have kept 25lbs of my 40lb weight gain. I've always liked running and was excited to find the C25K program. I'm nervous, but ready to give it a shot. Today is my start day. Ipod is ready!

• RunninUgly Expert 56 posts since
    Dec 30, 2008
    1. Apr 14, 2011 9:05 AM (in response to tjdieter)
    Re: Hello All!

Congrats on having the courage to start the C25K program. I think the decision to start is the hardest one. You can count on lots of encouragement here and we are all behind you as you start this journey. Remember it is not going to be easy, but in the end it will be well worth the effort. Also remember to take it slow at first, you should be able to carry on a conversation as you do your running segments. Good luck and keep us updated as to how you are doing.

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

Jacksonville Marine Corps Half Marathon- 1 Oct 11

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge- 7-8 Jan 12

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

through the obstruction."  William James

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Apr 14, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to tjdieter)

You'll do great.  Just take it nice and slow.  Don't run 2 days in a row.  We are all here to support and encourge.  Running is a great sport and a great time to get away by yourself. 

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    3. Apr 14, 2011 11:55 AM (in response to tjdieter)

Welcome.  I, too, went on Weightwatchers to lose weight and was able to lose 45 pounds over an 8 month period and have kept it off for 7 months now.  Started walking at first as a form of exercise and was able to do it well enough that I walked the entire distance for my first 5K in 41:40.  At that point it hurt me to walk any faster so I started to jog a little and then walk some.  I was able to slowly increase the distance I ran and used various races to gauge how much I had improved.  After a few months I am able to run 8 miles nonstop and am hoping to be able to run an entire half marathon in June.  Congrats on starting C25K, and congrats on your success so far with WW.  Keep it up and you'll get to the goal you set for yourself.  Running has been fun for me and I hope it is fun for you as well.  Go in here for questions, advises, as well as to share your stories and to read others' stories.  And definitely let us know when you sign up for, and start gearing up for your first 5K.  It will be exciting.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Apr 14, 2011 11:55 AM (in response to tjdieter)

Hello and Welcome

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...