Skip navigation

1884 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2011 6:49 PM by BAPbruin44
balla2011 Legend 285 posts since
Feb 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2011 10:29 PM

dunking

hi everyone i wanna learn how too dunk im about 6 ft. 1, 2 inches so first of all am i tall enough too dunk?

and secondly what do i gotta do so i can dunk?

• BeatTheBest Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    1. Apr 16, 2011 8:23 AM (in response to balla2011)
    Re: dunking

Heck yeah you're tall enough to dunk!!! I'm 5 ft 10 in and I can dunk on a 10 ft hoop. You have to work on your legs a lot though.

I did at least 100 normal squats a day and then 20 squats with 10 pound dumbbels in both hands. Then I did 100-150 calf raises, and when I went outside for bball practice I jumped at least 20 times trying to touch the rim or backboard. (Depends on what level you're on) So if you are able to touch the rim you need to continue doing that and try to get your hand above the rim. Once you can do that, get a tennis ball and something, jump, and try to throw it down through the basket with ONE hand, two handed dunks are way harder. After you can do that, try dunking a basketball with one hand.

PS Be careful when you dunk so you don't get your hand stuck on the rim, cuz it might slip off and you might fall and break your hand.

Oh and also first check if the rim youre dunking on is breakaway cuz if it is then you should try finding a normal rim.

Good luck!

• ilovebasketball13 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 16, 2011
    2. Apr 16, 2011 11:45 AM (in response to balla2011)

my friend is 6-7 in. and he could dunk

• Sofie04 Expert 53 posts since
    Feb 5, 2011
    3. Apr 18, 2011 2:34 PM (in response to balla2011)

They say JJ Barea is 6 feet but i don't believe it. That guy is small:) But still good. Anyways, my dad always tells me not to shoot 3-pointers untill i can make all my 2's. Don't start trying to dunk if you can't make your jumpshot or layups.

• BAPbruin44 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011
    5. Apr 20, 2011 6:49 PM (in response to balla2011)

Unless you are a naturally gifted leaper or you play lots of volleyball i dont think you will be able to every really dunk the rock. you may try having someone throw you an oop or try throwing it off the backboard and slamming with one hand.

Squats and raises will improve strenght but only marginally your leaping ability.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...