Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

776965 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 ... 297 Previous Next
  • -Sharon Expert 58 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,520. Apr 17, 2011 6:01 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Wow what a beautiful weekend.  Here in the Atlanta area it was sunny and around 70.  The park was full of walkers and runners and lots of kids and dogs.  I had a great long walk and had fun people watching.

• Ontrixie -  I can empathize with your knee issues.  I had a serious knee injury a couple of years ago and on the advise of my brother who’s been through several of the surgeries you mentioned, I got back to moving around as quickly as possible.  Look for workouts to build up all the muscles in your leg, overall strength helps support the knee while it heals.
    • Earthmom – anxiety and pressure are good reasons to avoid events, who wants more of that?  Like some of the others said, I use it as a goal, and the goal keeps me out there trying.  I’ve been last in every event I’ve attempted, but I’m still walking and hope as I add jogging and running I’ll get better.  If you decide to try them again, look for the family oriented charity events for a local church or school.  They have been so fun!
    • Soulsong – great job, sounds like a fun trail run
    • LuvSantaCruz – 2nd is awesome!
    • Scrufffy and Soulsong  – I’m with you.  The goal keeps me out there trying, but actually finishing, even last, is an accomplishment.  I love seeing families out there running/walking together.  It’s such a fun friendly atmosphere.
    • Emmaleigh47 – I’m right where you started….in 30 second increments.  Thanks for the post!
    • Texsurfmonkey – that is cool about the high school girl coming back to run with you.  My sister in law who got me to try 5k’s in the first place does that for me.  Her sister, who races for points, does that for her.  I also see lots of slower adults pacing with the kids and encouraging them to keep going.  The support is tremendous.

Congrats to everyone who ran this weekend!

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    2,521. Apr 17, 2011 6:28 PM (in response to Dave In Denver)

I like the humor with meeting Jesus face to face - thanks for the giggle - and you are faster than me on your mile.  Jus sayin......when I first got started back at the plodding, that was a focus & mental obstacle for me.   One of the posters mentioned it is my journey/it is my time/my race and enjoy it.  Fun is suppose to be a part of the journey.    I think it is awesome you are back out there, battling back with diligence - have a fantastic week!

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    2,522. Apr 17, 2011 6:36 PM (in response to -Sharon)

Sharon: Im sooo excited for you! The journey is amazing and fun ... and you will see your abilities grow in leaps and bounds if you are consistant and just get out there. I came in last a couple of times when I started .... and I thought that had passed. Recently I ran a 10K in rain and hail ... and I think alot of people switched out to the 5K ... but anyways I came in DEAD LAST!

I was shocked ..... and a bit disappointed in myself... until I saw my time was 14:45/mile ... for a longer run I havent done that ever! And then I realized that my first 10K was 1h47min and I sure did better than that ... so you know what its all relative!

I cheered for people as I passed them in the half marathon... and after I finished I went back out on the course to find this nice man who tried so hard to help him finish!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

Mar 17, 2011
    2,523. Apr 17, 2011 6:37 PM (in response to Soulsong)

Congrats on your first race - AND Yes that time is more than respectable - it is describing your hard work/training runs and the decision to mentally step up to take the challenge of running.  For me any time I post anymore in a race is victory -I finished.   I would love to run a pace of 10-11 minutes, but not going to happen ever....but I will stick with it and push miles behind me at whatever my pace is that day.   Great 1st Race and here's to the next finish line you conqueor!  

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

• Lorena52 Pro 102 posts since
    Jan 16, 2011
    2,524. Apr 17, 2011 6:38 PM (in response to earthmom11)

I am NO competitor, but I like the camaraderie of being out there.  I guess I don't stress much ahead of time because I really only care that I DO finish, not where I finish.  And I like wearing the shirts.   If the race day jitters get the best of you, run your own 10K.  Heck, make up your own shirt!

Tex, I think most of us would like to come with our pups or borrow a pound hound for the day!  Maybe we could all run with our dogs that day and donate to our local shelters?  Kind of a virtual Run for the Mutts.  It's not the same as being there but we'll be thinking about you!

Pear Blossom 5K 4/9/11 39:24

Lake of the Woods 5K 6/4/11  36:41

Blue Lake All Women's Sprint Tri 2:10:13

Portland Half Marathon 10/9/11

DFL > DNS (Dead last is better than did not start!)

Mar 17, 2011
    2,525. Apr 17, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to Lorena52)

What a fanstastic idea - a virtual run from where we are --- supporting Tex, and supporting our local pup rescue mission!  

Jan 16, 2011
    2,526. Apr 17, 2011 7:01 PM (in response to Donna914)

Wow!  I don't even know where to start.  Congratulations to everyone who ran this weekend, event or not!  What an inspiring bunch!

Soulsong - You ROCKED your first 5K!  15/30 in your age group is great.  Careful or they'll throw you out of the Penguins group

Indigo - Congrats on a 5th in your age group, especially in "challenging" conditions!  It sounds perfectly awful.  I, too, am waiting to be able to run in fewer layers.

DaveinDen - Now I know how to get religion.  I just have to have a near death experience while running.  That's not so hard!

Thanks to all of you for making my day brighter!

Jan 16, 2011
    2,527. Apr 17, 2011 7:06 PM (in response to runlambrun)

Lamb - Make sure you practice with what you will use in a race.  I have made the mistake of trying one of the "gimme's" at a race and lived to regret it.  It had a rather uncomfortable effect on my lower GI about 20 minutes later.  From here on out my race fuel comes with me unless it's bananas or water.

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    2,528. Apr 17, 2011 7:22 PM (in response to Donna914)

Completed my first 10K today in 1:22:41.  Was fun.  My nephews, aged 14 and 15, did it too.  They are so tough.  They have hardly been running and the oldest did it in less than and hour and the youngest in just over an hour.  They ran every step of the way.  Then when they finished the youngest walked back and ran the last part of mine with me.  I did walk up a few short inclines on my second, three mile lap.  It was pretty hard to pass up the finish line at the half way mark of the 10K when all those folks were finishing their 5K.  Once I got past there it was all good though.

Got every possible kind of MT spring weather today - snow, hail, rain, sunshine - most more than once.  It just kept changing every few minutes.  Lots of little squalls moving in and out.

The race had over 1,100 people.  Over 90% of the participants did the 5K.  Ran through neighborhoods around the Summit health club.  Couple of small, short hills but nothing to serious.

First time I've ever used a computer chip to record time.  That is a pretty cool little device.

I'm feeling pretty contented right now.  So glad I started this little adventure in December.

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    2,529. Apr 17, 2011 8:57 PM (in response to earthmom11)

Linda

"I'll have to sign up for some more and test out your theories."

I hope you have a great time!  Well, I guess I should say great experience. 

Let us know what you think on your next "race" experience.   With any luck, you'll meet one of the penguins at the event.  That is one thing I hope I get to experience.

Jack

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• mightymite1110 Amateur 33 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    2,530. Apr 17, 2011 9:28 PM (in response to MamaBear56)

Congrats on your race Mamabear!  I also just completed my first 10K on Saturday.  I was so excited and had fun doing this.  To my surprise, I did a lot better than what I had expected because of all the hills.  I do love the support and camaraderie with running and this thread is an example of it.  You all keep me motivated and inspired.

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    2,531. Apr 18, 2011 6:28 AM (in response to mightymite1110)

Good for you Mightymite110.  I think most runners are pretty positive and upbeat, at least the ones here and at the races I've been too.  Fun group to hang out with

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    2,532. Apr 18, 2011 6:43 AM (in response to MamaBear56)

Congrats MamaBear and Mightymght on your first 10K's. I did my first one Sunday in 1:20:02. Still can't believe that I'm out there running that far after starting (was it Emmaleigh who wrote about this?) by running 30 seconds and walking 4 minutes and thinking I would die!

The course was a scenic reservoir area with a small dam that we got to run over twice. The race folks did a great job with handling traffic on the few road sections and overall I really enjoyed myself - except when I thought I was going to die. There was a beautiful, winding downhill stretch through the woods followed by - you guessed it - a long, slow uphill section. Yes, I think I met Jesus out there!

I used GU for the first time in a race. I'd used some the day before to just try it out and see how my stomach did with it. As somebody said before, it tastes like frosting. It sits on my stomach much better than the Shotblocks which left me feeling queasy. I wish it came in even smaller packets though. It was hard to get the whole thing down and its so sticky that I didn't want to put a half-empty packet in my pocket. I was grateful for the water stop so that I could dunk my sticky fingers in clear water!

To EarthMom, I think its great that you don't need a race to motivate you. I'm sure my race fever will burn out. I tend to burn bright and burn out fast. After that, I'll see how it goes without that external motivator. For now, I'm having a great time and I'm enjoying the camaraderie of strangers cheering each other on. It's a high like I've never known.

Congrats to everyone on your runs or races this weekend.

~ Nita

• Laumau Amateur 30 posts since
    Feb 24, 2008
    2,533. Apr 18, 2011 6:43 AM (in response to Donna914)

Congrats to everyone who ran on their fantastic races this weekend.

I did my second ever 5K yesterday. The weather was much better this time than on my first one- unfortunately I ran on a bum ankle and today it's a bit swollen and stiff.

I ran way too fast in the middle of the race and ended up running out of gas and walking up a huge hill at the end, lol. The good news is that my time was 32:30. That's four minutes faster than my first 5K time!

I won't be running for a while though, trying to let my ankle heal.

My races:

First 5K, RRISD Project Grad, 3/5/11- 36:25
    Georgetown Red Poppy 5K, 4/17/11- 32:30

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    2,534. Apr 18, 2011 6:51 AM (in response to Laumau)

Sorry about your bum ankle, Laumau. Good for you for being willing to let it heal. Hope you come back stronger than ever!

~ Nita

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...