Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2503 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2011 1:22 PM by quadzilla1 RSS
jneptune Amateur 21 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2011 10:59 AM

Electrolyte Drink Preferences?

I've been running long distances for a few years now and have yet to find the perfect electrolyte drink. Some products upset my stomach unless I dilute them heavily and others settle much better but I don't think they're packing enough essential electrolytes... I'm just curious to hear what electrolyte drinks most runners prefer during long runs?

Thanks!

"True enjoyment comes from activity of the mind and exercise of the body; the two are ever united."

-Karl Wilhelm von Humboldt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful."

-John Wooden

• Runningcolorado Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    1. Apr 7, 2011 1:11 PM (in response to jneptune)
    Re: Electrolyte Drink Preferences?

I use Powerade Zero during my long runs.  I haven't had any problems w/it.  I used to use Gatorade, but changed when Powerade came out w/the zero calorie drink.  I usually put ice in my water bottle to keep it cold during warmer weather, so it may get diluted a little.  But, I don't use ice in the winter months.

Maybe try using a different drink each time you do your short or medium run, and see how they make you (your stomach) feel. It's through trial and error that you will get to the one that works best for you. 

Good luck to you, and happy running.

Live, love, run

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Apr 8, 2011 11:07 PM (in response to Runningcolorado)

Be careful with zero calorie drinks. The good side is that they have zero calories, the bad side is they have zero calories.  Zero calories means no carbohydrates which your body needs on runs of more than 1 hour.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Runningcolorado Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    4. Apr 10, 2011 11:01 AM (in response to jneptune)

I'm sorry, Jneptune.   I thought you only wanted to address the issue of electrolyte drink preference.  Sorry about that.

I get my calories (and carbs) from gel packs.  I use GU gel which has about 100 cals and 25g carbs per pack every 40-50 min. when I'm running over an hour.  I wasn't getting enough cals/carbs from the drink alone (w/o my belly feeling slushy).  So, I dropped the cals/carbs in the drink, but pick them up from the gels.  That way I don't feel too full, and I still feel energized. 

I tried different things to see what worked.  The Zero and gel work best for me.  Keep experimenting to see what works for you.  You'll find what you need through trial and error.

Good luck to you.

Live, love, run

• Steve427 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    5. Apr 18, 2011 4:12 PM (in response to jneptune)

Hey Jneptune, I used to drink Elete which can be found in most running stores. Works well but started to irritate my stomach. For the past 3 months I've been using Yoli Fun and I love it. Its zero calories, sweetened with Stevia, 200mg Sodium, 191mg Potassium, 169mg Calcium, 112mg Magnesium and 750mg of Alkalete pH Enhancer. If you want to try it out let me know and I'll get ya some samples. Or check it out at www.alkalizeforever.com

www.alkalizeforever.com

Charlotte Racefest at Southpark Half Marathon April 16, 2011.

2:16:56

• BPS1976 Amateur 34 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    6. Apr 18, 2011 5:28 PM (in response to jneptune)

Orange Gatorade, Nectar of the Gods.  I usually carry one bottle of water and one of Gatorade.  If its a full, where I'll need more hydration that, I'll carry two bottles of gatorade and just get water on the course if  the race has Powerade or something else I'm not familiar with.

http://earnyourdonuts.blogspot.com/

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    7. Apr 18, 2011 6:03 PM (in response to jneptune)

Gatorade G2, various flavors, mixed 50-50 with water.  Straight Gatorade is too heavy in my stomach.  During a HM, I will mix Powerade or whatever drink they have on the course with water.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• quadzilla1 Expert 39 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    8. Jun 5, 2011 1:22 PM (in response to jneptune)

Jneptune...

I am a huge fan of Accelerade's Hydro Sports drink. I race Half Ironman's and Full Ironman's and have not been disappointed by what it provides to me. The fruit punch flavor has a great taste and is not too sweet like some other brands out there.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

Brad

Sport Packs members get Sports Drinks, Protein Bars and Energy Bars at huge discounts!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...