Skip navigation

5942 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2012 4:47 PM by ldronet RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • BPS1976 Amateur 34 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 18, 2011 11:28 AM (in response to BPS1976)
    Re: Mud Chasers - Sparks, MD Reviews

Should have added that having a bag check was a HUGE positive.  As a solo runner attending by myself, this would have been pretty logistically difficult w/o bag check.

http://earnyourdonuts.blogspot.com/

• the1bigbird Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2010
    16. Apr 18, 2011 11:55 AM (in response to Guest )

It could have been a really awsome event, regardless of the weather, the weather was what it was it's april. no big dea. i have several issues, and every race/event i have ever been in or to has not been perfect there is always something that could be better small or big

1) location venue. moving it was fine i guess it had to be done for whatever reason. but had they not set up parking alternative, i am not sure where all of those people would have parked. even without that rain, the hill where cars were to be parked was to steep and not safe. also it was freshly cleared land. there were steel cables, and large branches and other debree. in addition being it was freshly cleared and regardless of the rain it was far to soft for a regular car, thank goodness for my jeep.

2) nothing was marked on where to go and no one giving directions. on nice gentleman collecting money at the gate for the parking just said its down there.  ....and obviously eventually one would find were they needed to go when they got there.

3) the course was fine, but what happened to some of the obsticales?? fire, the pond? and coming into the last turn after coming up the last hill to head toward the finish, was not marked very well with the flags, i think i and a few others i was with ended up in a dirt/junk pile(maybe it was part of the course ...who knows.)

4) there was no direction, instruction or leadership, with no one taking charge

5) with electronic timing chips, still no results posted.....why bother? i hardly knew i even finished, no labels no signs, no one working at the finish. other than the people working the registration tables and the parking guy, who was working the event?

6) i don't care about water( i'll bring my own and always do, done enough of these where they have even run out), or oranges or bananas, or the music or the beer. i just want to see that someone has taken some pride in their work and puts together a quality event.

7) this is a gripe i have with almost every event i take part in. if you are going to give a shirt out (and i don't care if you do or don't, i'm there to do the event, the shirt doesn't really matter)  first, have large size shirts available. i am a bigger guy 240lbs 6'4" i an fit and athletic not fat and not a bean pole. if you are going to do a shirt do it. get a good quality tech shirt (think about your demo) don't do cotton. cotton is ok its not that bad, but do a quality cotton not a cheap one. when i wash this shirt i just got from this event. when i wash this shirt from the event, it will say on the tag XL, but it will turn into a medium ....just skip it

look at the end of the day putting on one of these events is not easy... and you will never please everyone. but i don't feel like they organizer(s) were prepared. or even really cared

• ArvindS Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    17. Apr 18, 2011 12:13 PM (in response to Guest )

It was very windy yesterday and I don't think we can seriously blame the organizers for the weather! But, I agree with the earlier review, the music couldn't be heard throughout the course and there was no water station in the middle of the course, as it was mentioned on their website.

At the end of the day, the money paid went to a worthy cause, to support the Volunteer Fire Department and I am happy about that.

The $10 charge was NOT for the shuttle. It was for parking at the new location. They had mentioned in the email, when they changed locations that there would be a parking charge of $10!!

They should have had snacks/water at the end of the race; changing tents and a hose to wash ourselves. I happened to ask the Fire Chief for a hose and he brought his truck over to me and a group of my friends and then everyone else started to use it to hose themselves down. This could've been better organized, this being a MUD RACE!!

Where are the results? I am very interested in finding out how I did, as this was my first race.

I have another race coming up next month - Warrior Dash!

• jaxan97 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011
    18. Apr 18, 2011 12:48 PM (in response to Guest )

I think we all understood that the weather played a big part in the event being disorganized, but I had a serious issue with the quality of the course and how it was laid out. Markers were confusing (even when they were only a couple meters apart) and the zig-zag of the course didn't help.

Looking at the website, I was expecting the event to be as professional as some of the other popular events of it's type. We knew where to park but were unsure where the actual bus-stop was. The placement of the registration, gear check, and food vendors was too close together. We ran the race but left soon afterward.

If it wasn't for the weather, I think the course wouldn't have been that much of a challenge. I can make my backyard as demanding if I just include a long run through an open field between obstacles.

I was looking forward to my son's first mud race. He's 5 and just appreciated being involved. I was really let down about the seriousness that the event had taken the kids course. Up and back? Come on... There wasn't even any structure to the wave times. If you slack off on the quality of my race, that's one thing. More preparation and effort should've been done for the kids.

• Hannah Stauffer Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010
    19. Apr 18, 2011 1:21 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first mud race, and I was impressed with how casually it was organized.  I suppose you could call it disorganized.  The parking seemed improbable even if we were in a drought.  There were no signs to direct you to parking, shuttle, etc.  And really, $10 for parking?  Really?  Also, that was not in my email, but maybe that is because it looked like there was a part of the email missing in the middle of it.  It cut off in the middle of one sentence.  The obstacles were really easy, but maybe that is what you were going for.  The yellow rope could have been lower to force you to crawl through the mud, but at the same time, I'm glad I didn't have to get completely wet.   I agree with others:

*more free food and water

• offer more than one hose - don't let people use the hose themselves or else they take FOREVER. 

*at least offer a male and female area so we can justify changing in public.

• post the times

• reduce the price or give us a better race and better gifts

• reb79 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    20. Apr 18, 2011 1:32 PM (in response to Guest )

In addition to all of the other complaints regarding this event, I would add that I was very surprised that there were no spotters, or other means of saftey for the obstacles, and there was no first aid tent.  In every other event I have participated in, there has been such a tent.  Simply put, this was a very unorganized event and the uninformed charge for parking was just insulting.

• Nerak301 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    21. Apr 18, 2011 2:02 PM (in response to Guest )

The rain Saturday seemed to wash out more than half of the events. From the get-go everything was pretty disorganized. My friends and I joked that the only clearly marked sign was for the ATM. The start, finish, and registration were not clearly marked. The whole affair seemed like a bunch of people organized this event at the last minute. The first few races started late, there was no changing area, as we were walking out to the shuttle the firemen arrived with the hoses. I'm really upset to hear that they stopped charging for cars later in the day; it's like being penalized for being early. I won't go to a MudChaser event again.

• jeaners18 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 17, 2008
    22. Apr 18, 2011 2:16 PM (in response to Guest )

We had a fun time, but it was very disorganized. The shuttles were confusing and were disappointed to find out a few weeks before we would have to pay for parking and not when we signed up. Also, the web site said there would be one water stop and there were none It would have been nice to have a drink (besides beer) after the race or a piece of fruit. Still unsure when we will get our results. We didn't see a timer at the finish line. Also, wish there was a way to minimize the waiting in line to complete some obstacles.

Apr 7, 2008
    23. Apr 18, 2011 4:45 PM (in response to Guest )

Results are up:

http://www.mudchasers.com/events/results/sparks/

Are anyone else results way, way off?  Mine say I finished in the 27 minute range, about 10 minutes faster than I thought I finished.  I admit that I may not have re-set my watch 0 at the start, and that it was covered in mud so I could have misread it at the end (I accidently re-started the stopwatch later and lost the time).

3.5 in 27 would be really fast for me on ANY terrain...so I think my results are innacurate.  I didn't notice the timing mats at either the start or finish.

• LJAnders Rookie 1 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    24. Apr 18, 2011 5:08 PM (in response to Guest )

I agree with the previous reviews, and yet would like to add some positives. I signed up for this event because i have been wanting to try an obstacle course type of race and this one was 15 minutes from home. Expensive, YES, but I love and will support the local events. The weather caused my daughter to forego the mini muddier race, and the one friend who signed up with me ultimately didn't make it out into the wind and cold. So I went alone, and got to spend a couple hours in the company of like-minded souls.  Three companions completely scooped me up as one of their own, and I had a little posse to wind through the course with.  And, I learned that the best way to get the attention of a pack of eager runners is to wear WonderGirl skirt and wave your arms like crazy in the direction of the hard to identify starting line.  I can't complain about water and hoses to remove mud - they apparently didn't make it to the race until after I was long gone.

Come back next year with your A Team, and I'll give tit another try.

• kevme15 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 8, 2010
    25. Apr 18, 2011 5:53 PM (in response to Guest )

terrible

I've run over a dozen of these 'mud races' and they inevitably vary in quality and difficult. The Tough Mudder is the most challenging and overall hardest, and then you have the recreational races like the Warrior Dash and others that are fun runs but can be challenging.

This was disorganized, lame, and not even close to being up to par with what was promised, or with it's peers in the mud racing community. no bag check, no water at the end of the race, (i saw someone earlier post a request for bagels and fruit on the course.... seriously? it's a 5k not a half marathon. refuelling at the end is more than sufficient) and no real sense of where to go on the course etc.

I signed up for the Endurance Challenge but after the 3rd time I got so sick of running back and forth through that field that I left.

If you can't put a quality product out, refund the people who have paid you for something - don't try to give them some shoddy alternative.

• James__500 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    26. Apr 18, 2011 6:02 PM (in response to Guest )

I will have to agree with alot of the others who have posted. I did the Warrior Dash last fall and will be doing the tough mudder as well. Both are very well organized. I am sure that oregon ridge change caused problems as well as the rain (which did help to make the course very muddy and fun)

Warrior dash charged for parking last year and I figured this would happen here as well.

This could have been a great event. I think this was the first mudchasers event they have ever put on.. I figured their would be some growing pain issues.. but this was disappointing. The obstacles should have been alot better.

no water truck waiting there... stunk.. no one knew where the fire truck went..

no food stunk

course was very poorly marked, I was hoping for wooded area and not open fields.. (plus side was friends followed us on the course and took pictures)

Poorly organized start and finishes..

I will say i was expecting a huge fun party similar to what there was at warrior dash.... the wind and cold put a huge damper on the fun but ... my group left right after the race...

At this point, I do not think I will participate in mudchasers next year unless MAJOR improvements are made..

The mini mudders looked as poorly organized as the main course..

I wish this was not the case.. I really thought this would have been a great time .. I feel terrible that I had friends drive from philly to participate..

Hope this help others... Mudchasers COULD BE ALOT OF FUN>..if they do not make changes, skip it..

Apr 7, 2008
    27. Apr 18, 2011 6:19 PM (in response to kevme15)

There was bag check.  It was right where you picked up your number, shirt, and mug.

• RageRunner3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    28. Apr 18, 2011 6:45 PM (in response to Guest )

My family, 20 friends and co-workers, and I raced on Sunday and I have several serious issues with the race. I understand this was their first race, and the weather was a problem, but there is no excuse for these issues. Before running the race we talked about doing the Southern PA race and the Ocean City race, but with these issues below we will not be doing any more races with them unless these things are corrected.

The Start ? The waves were completely unorganized and not announced.  We were told by one official that they were running behind and another said to go through whenever we want, which we did. There was no signage to even direct racers to the start causing people to run the wrong way and some entered the course without even going through the starting gate.

The Course

Obstacles: The ropewall section must be wider or a second ropewall needs to be in place width wise to avoid bottlenecks. The spacing of the wood slats on the backside of the ropewalls was too far for shorter racers and a serious safety hazard. It also contributed to the bottleneck of racers on those obstacles. The wait times I saw were from 2-5 minutes.

There was no fire obstacle as indicated on the website

One of the tires on the tire section was flipped over blocking that path for the 2 HRS that I was there.

There was no WATER STATION on the course as indicated on the website. I didn?t see anywhere there was water with the exception of the water they were giving away for the kids run.

Organization and legal liability ? No one checked my sister, my wives, or my ID when we were doing registration/packet pick up. Other people in my party weren?t made to fill out or sign the waiver.

There were no signs to show there the start, finish, or the location of the kids? race. There were racers going down to the kids section thinking that may be the start of the race.

No ID?s or numbers were checked when the bags were picked up.  I picked up three bags and no one verified if I was grabbing the right bags.  I could have grabbed as many bags as I wanted.

Finally the RESULTS.  THE RESULTS WERE COMPLETELY INACCURATE and there was no way that anyone kept track of the numerous people that skipped obstacles so they would be disqualified from winning.  I saw 10 people run around the first rope wall and several people skip the mud mounds at the beginning.

Looking forward to Warrior Dash, which is much more organized and professional.  I can?t believe I paid the same to run this terrible course.

• kevme15 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 8, 2010
    29. Apr 18, 2011 7:07 PM (in response to BPS1976)

yes there was a bag check..... after they realized they were supposed to have one when people kept asking about it.

so they went and got sticky notes and stuck numbers to peoples bags.

points for improvisation but not much else

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...