Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

839355 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 ... 297 Previous Next
  • MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Nita (and others):   Like you, I've been at a weight loss plateau since Christmas, despite running more and more and staying on plan for Weight Watchers, the gym, etc.   My weight has not bunged.  I did try calorie cycling - which is like Nita describes, includes a one-day binge, although still staying on plan overall the week.  The binge actually felt horrible.  I was over stuffed and just felt sick.  I didn't like it.  I've read books about carbs, fats, etc.  I have decided for myself that I don't want to play mind games or manipulate myself into losing these last 20 pounds - because when you have to play mind games or manipulate your body or your diet artificially, it isn't going to stay off anyway.   I have also decided that I am thoroughly enjoying my workouts and runs and the new level of fitness that I have found, because I am virtually unstoppable (LOL) in doing things with my grandsons and just loving life.  So, I'm going to stay on WW because it essentially has taught me portion control and balanced diet and I can do it the rest of my life.  I am going to keep exercising and running because I really love it and because I really love the person I am.    If the last 20 pounds eventually come off, I will be quite happy.  If they don't, I won't obsess.   But I will stay healthy and fit and RUNNING because "It's Who I Am"  (from the Road ID motto).

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    2,551. Apr 19, 2011 3:26 AM (in response to MelissaGraham7)

What a great attitude, MelissaWood! Thanks for this perspective. ~ Nita

~ Nita

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,552. Apr 19, 2011 4:24 AM (in response to PaintingLady)

Marie - that's a great question.  I'm an RN, and for many years smoked a pack and a half while working in ICU taking care of those dying a terrible death while they couldnt' breath from - you guessed it - smoking.  Why do we do it?  I was addicted to that nicotine for one thing and would rather have had a smoke than a dessert or anything else.   Plus I don't think we believe the bad health will happen to us because the negative effects is so gradual. Besides we're just people too, and denial is a powerful thing.  I quit smoking 17 years ago after smoking for 20 yrs.  I quit because I couldn't go up one flight of steps without getting short of breath, and my family continually told me: -we love you and don't want you to die young, you stink, you need to live to see your grandchildren, and (from my DH) I don't really want a wife that has to depend on the drug nicotine to cope with life. I finally heard them! Today I can still feel the effects of that smoking and regret it more than you know, but it was a way of life in my family growing up.  I'm just grateful that I don't smoke now.  One last note - everyone in my family that did not quit smoking is now dead - some pretty darn young!

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• RunningItOff.com Expert 50 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010

Nita,

I started following the 4 hour body slow carb diet in mid-February and have lost 13 lbs so far.  I fall into the over 40 with kids category descibed in the book so the first 6 weeks were slow, but now it's starting to come off and I'm losing 1.5 to 2 lbs a week.  I also read Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat" which essentially provides the science background for Tim Ferriss' book.  The cheat day started out for me as a binge but then I'd feel terrible after.  Now, it's more like a day where I relax the rules a bit and eat a few forbidden foods so I don't mind going 6 days without them. Also, I time this higher carb day for the day before my long run (or a race day), so I refuel my muscles and it does make a difference on my stamina on the long runs.  There's something to that pasta for dinner before a race tradition!

It's a really nice balance.  I think the best thing that has come out of it for me is that I just don't eat much processed foods anymore, and I eat a lot more vegetables.   I'd recommend trying it if it interests you, but you have to give it at least a month if not two to see the results.  I had been plateaued for so long before trying this diet despite the fact that I had a daily calorie deficit of 500-1000 so I this diet has been liberating to me.

Best,
    Laura

My running and weight loss adventure is chronicled at:

http://www.RunningItOff.com

• -Sharon Expert 58 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    2,554. Apr 19, 2011 5:31 AM (in response to MelissaGraham7)

Great Attitude MelissaWood7!

I struggle with weight loss, like most of us.  Last year I had a contest with my Brother and Sisternlaw.  I ate as good as they did, and worked out as hard and often as they did. They lost 75 and 50 pounds respectively and I lost 16. (My goal was 50) My doctor says it's the mostly sedentary life I lived up to a couple of years ago and the blood pressure medication that I'm on that gives me a horribly slow metabolism.  LOL  I can probably get off the blood pressure medicine if I lose 10 more pounds! With that said, all my other blood work is great, so all my changes are really making me healthier!

The only way I could get the scale moving at all last year was to work out twice a day at least 5 days a week. (yes I worked that hard and ate well and still only lost 16 pounds!) It takes a lot of time and is hard to fit into your schedule with work and everything, but it did work, even for me. I had temporary insanity and went back to my sedentary lifestyle during the holidays and in January, and I'm still building myself back up. I've nearly worked off the pounds I gained back and will keep working on that goal of 50. Twice a day workouts, here I come.  Ugh!

• texsurfmonkey Pro 125 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    2,555. Apr 19, 2011 6:00 AM (in response to RunningItOff.com)

A lot of us seem to have the same issues. I have been doing weight watchers since June. I have lost 46 pounds and have 35 to go. If I was on maintenance right now I would be a shining star. The scale has not moved except to show a 4 pound gain since November. I work out everyday for about 75 minutes and now since the weather is nice (deduct 5 points for wind misery) I have been doing my running portion outside for 5 miles a day. I am scared of food. In my mind, food is bad. I saw a guy on the show The Talk yesterday, name is Rocco DiSpirito, talked about food. He has a book called Now Eat This Diet. Looks interesting. The foods he made yesterday looked really good. I have found tofu noodles. I am a pastaholic and although a little rubbery, hey are really good. He also says that when you don't eat, your body stores the fat until you give it something to fuel itself. So, what confuses me is where does calorie in/out take play? How do these people that do not eat lose weight? Why can I work out till the cows come home and stay in this frustrating rut?

9/11/2010 Habitat for Humanity 5K 41.18

10/10/10 10-10-10 10K 1:27:12

10/30/2010 Fit For Life 5K 37.07.50

11/06/2010 Kick for Kenya 10K 1:17:12

01/01/2011 New Years Day 5K 34.22

01/08/2011 Monohans Sandhills 5K 34:38

02/06/2011 Surf City USA 1/2 Marathon 3:00:39

02/12/2011 Cupids Run 5K 34:13

3/26/2011 Bloodgusher 5K 37.11

4/9/2011 Run From The Cops 10K 1:18:21.80

4/30/2011 South Padre Island Sand Crab 10K 1:20:24 Night run on the beach!!

5/21/2011 Running Feet For Helping Hands 5 Mile (63.35)

7/22/2011 San Antonio Chupacabra 10K (night run, trail run)

7/30/2011 Tall City Triathlon 2:00:23.7 (swim 15:13.4) (bike 56.09)(5K 45:00.9)

9/10/2011 Comanche Warrior Triathlon

10/01/2011 Crossroads HM, Odessa, Texas (gonna shoot for a 2:35:00)

02/05/2012 - Surf City HM 2:53:02

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Penguins-Lambs-and-Bears-oh-my/152835968118339

Aug 1, 2010
    2,556. Apr 19, 2011 6:38 AM (in response to RunningItOff.com)

Thanks, Laura (aka RunningItOff) for sharing your experience with The Four Hour Body. And thanks to everyone who's shared Weight Watchers experience. I was on WW years ago, but I heard they've changed all the points and so I'd have to learn that all again. I've been on so many diets in my life that I'm afraid to try another! And I'm not ready to make a huge change right now, but it's good to see that I have options. So maybe fewer refined foods and sugar only one day a week and I'll see what happens. Oh, and more running as I increase my mileage for the next big race.

Also, I take antidepressant medications and that has added some to my weight gain. I've tried meds that don't cause weight gain (so the doctors say), but they didn't work on my depression and some even made it worse. I'm entirely unwilling to give up my morning meds. The combination of running and the meds is currently keeping me sane. I may have to accept that the last twenty pounds won't come off. It could be a lot worse.

~ Nita

~ Nita

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Glad I found this! I was going to do a post on weight loss today!

Like most of you, I have not been able to drop an ounce of body weight or fat in over 2 years. I started running in November of 2009. I thought that when I started running that I would drop weight like crazy because it was something that my body was not used to. My diet was good and is good. I do not eat sugar, I do not eat white flour, I eat low fat and I eat alot of fruits and veggies with my meat being mostly chicken with red meat only occassionally. I exercise (run, weights) at least 5 days a week. I have trained for and run 2 half marathons so far this year, have run several 10k's and 5k's and I do a long run of 10-14 miles every Saturday. But, I STILL COULD NOT BUDGE THE WEIGHT!! I never gained weight, but I never lost weigh either. I was not overweight, but I had a few pounds that needed to go. I am 5'7" and weighed from 152-154 for around 2 years. Within normal ranges, but a little extra fluff that I wanted to go. I finally decided that something was amiss and decided to really scrutinize my diet. As I said, I eat very healthy, but a part of that healthy diet was almonds. I love almonds and I ate them for snacks alot. In my thinking, they are healthy, have good fats and fiber. Once I really looked at the amount of almonds that I ate each week, I saw where I was taking in MAJOR calories and fat even though it was good fat! As an experiment, I reduced my almond intake to 10 per day. I did not change anything else about my diet or my lifestyle, exercise routine. Results of the experiment............I have dropped 8 lbs and some major inches in the past 5 weeks!!!!  I have dropped even more body fat! I now weigh 143.8 and running is so much easier and my speed is about a minute per mile faster!

Moral to story........take a close look at your diet. Is there something in it that you eat more of than you should even if it is healthy?  As I said, I have not changed anything about my diet other than reducing the amount of almonds I was eating a day. I would grab a small handful several times a day and at night thinking that this was better than eating something unhealthy! No wonder I could not lose the weight!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

Aug 1, 2010
    2,558. Apr 19, 2011 7:12 AM (in response to mimiisarunner)

Wow, Mimi! That's amazing. Guess it's worth a really close look at what I'm putting in my mouth. Thanks for sharing your experience.

~ Nita

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010

Congrats Mimi,

Since I have started the C25K back in November (I have not been quite so disciplined until lately) I have lost around 13lbs. I finally noticed it when I started training for a 10K that I am doing in June and I am very happy. I've cut my portions down and am watching what is going into my mouth. I have good days, really good days and bad days. But for me I feel so much better.

Kerry

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2,560. Apr 19, 2011 8:03 AM (in response to mimiisarunner)

Mimi, Tks for sharing. My nut of choice is english walnuts. I'm in the same boat as you....eat healthy, exercise daily, (haven't ran a HM yet), just about .5 " shorter, and "normal weight range".  Still I knew I would fill better if I lost a few pounds.   I dropped from 152 at first of yr, to 146.5 and have stagnated.... OK, its time for me to really buckle down, cut down on the walnuts and get down to 140. .  I know running would be easier as there would be less stress on the body.

I'll be out of town for a few days, but will keep up my running. Promise!

Good luck to any running races this weekend.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Nsabella Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 19, 2011
    2,561. Apr 19, 2011 8:26 AM (in response to Donna914)

Good Morning Fellow Runners!

I am new to the running scene and a friend recommended I try out this website. It is amazing and I love it. Today I started the 9 week challenge to the C25K running a few minutes and building up stamina. I have always found running to be difficult do any of you have any advice or have tried this program to start out?

I am a slow runner usually a 14-16 mm. This August I will be getting married and for the age of 24 have let myself get out of shape after college and would like to lose 15 pounds running always helped me stay fit and trim in the past I just need some advice on getting back into running and going long distances eventually. Any help would be great!!

Nicole

Aug 1, 2010
    2,562. Apr 19, 2011 10:05 AM (in response to Donna914)

And now for something entirely different. Here's a link to a video of a baby penguin being tickled. Be sure to have the sound turned up. He makes the sweetest gleeful sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnxGZ9jeuP8&feature=player_embedded

Hope you get tickled or at least get a good giggle today, Penguins!

~ Nita

~ Nita

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    2,563. Apr 19, 2011 9:51 AM (in response to mimiisarunner)

Mimi - Hmmmm... Almonds are my healthy nut of choice too, and like you, I might eat a few twice a day (vs cookies etc) - but definitely more than a serving.  I'll look at that too. I seem to do well when I fix up a good salad and have that for lunch, and poorly when pasta, Mexican or Chinese is for dinner (too much salt, etc?).

I FINALLY did my long run today, even though I did not feel a lot of energy. I even skipped my 6AM boot camp class, so I'd have no excuse not to complete the full run. 12 miles in almost 3 hrs (~15mm).  Since I'm still trying to beat 3 hrs for the HM, I thought I'd try to run that long, even though I'm slower than the pace I need (13:45).  I wasn't tapered like I would be for the race & it was warm & mildly humid, so I'm hoping that I'll do better in 12 days, when the competition pulls me along.

On Sun or Mon, I'll try a 5-7 mile hill run, and the rest of the time before next Thurs, just do 3-4 mi runs (some fast, some easy) while continuing my Tri cross-training. Today after my run I was at 198 (but not hydrated enough), so I'll only acknowledge a sub-200# wt when I wake up at 199.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• Lorena52 Pro 102 posts since
    Jan 16, 2011
    2,564. Apr 19, 2011 11:32 AM (in response to willwrite4chocolate)

Nita, Thanks for the lift!  What a darling, gleeful little animal!  I know I am projecting, but he looks sssoooo happy!  What's not to love?

Pear Blossom 5K 4/9/11 39:24

Lake of the Woods 5K 6/4/11  36:41

Blue Lake All Women's Sprint Tri 2:10:13

Portland Half Marathon 10/9/11

DFL > DNS (Dead last is better than did not start!)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...