Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2096 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2011 1:28 PM by scotth0911
misssmartypants Rookie 6 posts since
Apr 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2011 9:49 AM

Do you have a running buddy?

Does anyone run with a running buddy?  If so, do you find it makes a difference?  I'm doing c25k, does it make sense to look for one during that since we'd need to be in the same place or wait til I can run 3 miles?  I have the c25k app and have been perfectly content alone so far, but just wondered about the experience of others.  (I've considered running with my dog but he's a maniac!

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    1. Apr 16, 2011 10:23 AM (in response to misssmartypants)
    Re: Do you have a running buddy?

I just finished the C25K, and I couldn't have done it without my running buddy!  We couldn't do every workout together, but knowing that I would have to keep up with her on our next run kept me on track. There were plenty of nights that I had to do my run on my treadmill at home, and I would have skipped "just this once..."  But I knew that I'd be running again with my running buddy, so I'd better stay with it.  Plus, I really look forward to the company when we run.  We have managed to run together at least once a week.  We just signed up for our first 5K in Eugene, OR (yep, "Tracktown, USA") and I would be completely intimidated if it was not for my buddy. 

I would say that if you're not too far along in your program, if you find a good running buddy, it would not set you back too far to just start over with her/him.  It is not absolutely necessary, but I think it has made the process so much more fun, and really kept me going!

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• runnermommy3 Pro 139 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    2. Apr 16, 2011 11:16 AM (in response to misssmartypants)

I don't have a running buddy, but I wish I did. I think it would help me stick with it and run more frequently. Plus, I think they would push me harder to keep running. I did go running with my two younger sons (7 and 9), and we pushed each other to keep going.

Carolyn, wife to Chad and mom to three boys

Started WW and C25K on 1/10/11

Starting Weight: 184.4 lbs

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

Current Weight: 131.4

Rookie runner

Race results for 2011:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 4/10/11 - 1:10:26

Bridge to Bridge 5K 5/7/11 - 39:59

Graham's Sundae 5K 7/31/11 - 38:48

Eagles Run 5K 8/6/11 - 38:28

Run for the Athletes 5K 8/17/11 - 39.04

Pumpkin Run 10K 10/30/11 - 1:12:24

Hot Chocolate 5K 11/5/11 - 34:24 - PR!!!!

Fox and the Turkey Trot 4 miler - 44:34

Snowflake Shuffle 5K - 35:11 - last race of 2011

Race results for 2012:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 3/25/12 - 56:42!!

• fantjessie Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 16, 2011
    3. Apr 16, 2011 11:20 AM (in response to misssmartypants)

I'd love to have a running buddy, but my personal schedule is really wacky with shared custody of my toddler... I find it hard to ask someone to always yield to my schedule.

• Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    4. Apr 16, 2011 11:28 AM (in response to misssmartypants)

My wife is my running buddy, but we can't run together every day because of her work schedule.  I was running with my dog, but like you said, mine is a maniac too.  She's pretty good not to trip me up now that I got a retractable leash, where she can stay up in front of me.  The downside is that she gets tired quickly and I am only in Week 2.  She won't last, and eventually, she will be slowing me down.  She is a Shar Pei, as you can see in my profile picture, and with the summer weather coming, it will only get worse for her.  Shar pei's don't do well in the heat.

Having said that, I have no issues with running alone.  I just downloaded the Hip hop podcasts, so I listen to the songs and listen for the run/walk audio cues.  That makes the workout so much more enjoyable, and it seems to go by quicker too.  I do W2D2 tomorrow.   

Good Luck with your running.

Keep us posted.

Simon

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Apr 16, 2011 11:53 AM (in response to misssmartypants)

I have a running during the week but she doesn't run with on the weekend for my long run and she doesn't run races either.

• SiberMom Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    6. Apr 16, 2011 11:58 AM (in response to misssmartypants)

I run with hubby, but his legs are a bit longer.  I have trouble keeping up with him.  However, it does push me to challenge myself.

Cooter 5K completed May 28, 2011 in 34:05!

Lake Placid Half Marathon  June 12, 2011 in 2:48:06!

Madrid Bluegrass Ramble 5K completed  June 25, 2011 in 34:38!

Massena 5K completed July 2, 2011 in 34:48 with casualites...LOL!

Tour de Potsdam 5K completed July 14, 2011: untimed

Maine Half Marathon scheduled October 2, 2011

• drbojangles Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    7. Apr 16, 2011 1:34 PM (in response to misssmartypants)

I know a lot of people find it really helpful, and just about everything you read about being a new runner advises you to buddy up. For me, though, I think I would hate it. I love running alone, not having to be accountable to anyone, not having to talk, just being alone with my thoughts. I especially love running in the early morning when there is hardly anyone about - being without other people just feels wonderful! But I'm quite a solitary person - I NEED a lot of time by myself.

The other thing is that I am not in the slightest bit competitive. I hate competing with others, it makes me feel sick. So I think running with someone else could potentially introduce a competitive element and that would immediately take the enjoyment out of it. Plus if they were better/faster/had more stamina than me it would be likely to make me feel bad about myself as I judge myself quite harshly. I'd hate to find I was comparing myself to someone else and feeling miserable about it.

I say just do whatever you think will work best for you!

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    8. Apr 18, 2011 9:20 PM (in response to misssmartypants)

I think a running buddy will only be helpful if you are in very similar phases in your running.  Not having done the C25K program I am not sure what it entails exactly, but maybe if you can find someone to run with even if it's just one day a week, it can be helpful.  I have a running buddy for the long runs.  It helps that we are both in training for the half marathon - we met at a running club and we were the two slowest runners in the group.  I can definitely run faster than she can in the really short distance, but once we get to 5 miles or more her ability to keep a constant pace is helping me.  I could run faster but then I would take walking breaks, so actually in the long run I would cover the same distance in a longer time.  I can run 8 miles nonstop now and am hoping to get to 14 before the half.

And running with me means she doesn't have to run alone - there's safety in numbers as the saying goes.  Running with her has allowed me to unplug from my iPod and keep a conversation going about the running and other things.  I used to hate hearing myself breathe so I had the iPod, but now hearing myself helps me be more in tune with what's going on with me, if I am running too fast or not, if I am struggling. I wish you luck in finding a running buddy, and I wish you luck with the C25K.  Maybe you can get a virtual running buddy here and you can be accountable that way.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• scotth0911 Expert 42 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    9. Apr 19, 2011 1:28 PM (in response to runnermommy3)

Go on-line and look to see if there are any area running groups/clubs, talk with the people who work at the specialty running stores, they should know where to go where others are running on the same day/time you are and able to help and encourage you and your sons

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points