Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22210 Views 152 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2011 6:24 AM by GramaVal RSS 1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next
Road2Slimdom Amateur 31 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2011 10:01 AM

Did my first run yesterday (19th April) anyone else just starting?

Hi,

I did my first every run yesterday, tomorrow I'm swtiching to the C25K, as it seems a lot more people are doing that than the plan in my book 'Running Made Easy'.

I'm a complete beginner at this, I've tried running twice before with my Hubby, but he's too fast for me and I end feeling like I'm gonna die ... lol ... so this time it's just me, bottle of water and my OES (Old English Sheepdog) ... My ultimate dream has always been to do a Marathon, I hope this is the start of my journey towards that.

I'd love some company, also tips from those been running a bit longer would be fantastic!

Anyone else just starting? ... Fancy joining me?

Deb xx

Deb xx

Postive Thoughts Create ~ Positive Feelings ~ Create Positive Actions

Started WW on 10th Jan 2011 ~ 1st 8lb's loss so far

BMI down to 27.54

I can and I will do this ~ nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough!

• KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010

Deb,

Sounds like you have a good mental attitude towards this which is a key part.

The C25K is a good way to get into running, and you need to do it at your own pace.

Just take your time & learn to listen to your body, it will tell you when you can go more or when you should take it easy.

Kirk

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31

Run for the Zoo 5K 6/03 19:57 PR

13.1 Chicago 6/09 1:50

North Shore Half 6/10 1:46

Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22

Chicago Half 9/09

Fox Valley Marathon 9/16

Chicago Marathon 10/07

• GramaVal Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011

I, also, feel like I am starting a new journey. 57-year-old woman. Never ran in my whole life.  I've loved being a walker...and now kicked it up a notch.  Since October 2010, I have lost almost 30 pounds.  (35-40 is my goal.)  Now, decided to push myself in another way...started adding a little running/jogging to my walking routine.  I signed up to run a 5K and hope to be able to (at least) equally walk/run. My running is not pretty...more like "plodding". Will it get easier????  Thanks for the website to check out for help...

• Nsabella Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 19, 2011

Good Morning,

I loved reading your first day post. I also started the C25K yesterday and am extremely excited about trying to get into running. My dream is also to do a marathon (hoping some day the boston one) I found yesterday reading a lot of these threads can really help to get you motivated. People's drive is incredible and it inspires me to make this work. I have not run in 3 years so I am a little nervous about trying to get back into it. Several of my friends are runners, but sadly I just cant keep up with them. (Yet anyway =))

We should continue to thread on this and update on progress! I love hearing other success stories! I cant wait to list the races I have done its a new beginning for sure!

Nicole

Nicole

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Deb:  I agree with Kirk that the C25K program (nine weeks) is an excellent, controlled way to start running.  It includes both running and walking, with a gradual changeover to all running as you move through it.  I believe the goal is to be able to run nonstop for 30 minutes at the end of the nine weeks.  Don't be afraid to change the program to suit yourself.  Many runners have repeated days or even whole weeks if that works best for you.

Grama:  Welcome to you as well.  Yes, it does get easier as you progress.  The key is to stay with it, build very gradually and don't let yourself get discouraged.  Your walking has given you a good base on which to build and losing 30 pounds should also have made it easier.  Also, I invite you to join our "50 and over, 5K and beyond" forum on this site.  Kirk and I are both in the Chicago area, but the over-50 forum is a geographically- and athletically-diverse group and we believe in encouraging and supporting each other.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• slowskinnyrunner Pro 67 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011

It's a wonderful journey. I started walking/running a little over a year ago, just after I quit smoking so my body was really slow at building up to running. I just finished my first 5k and have been addicted for at least 3 months. If I can't run at least every other day I get all anxious and nervous. Needless to say my family always makes sure I have time for a run. Anyway, I said that to say this. It doesn't matter how long it takes for you to get where you want to go the journey is worth taking. Good luck and happy running.

Ham Jam Hog Wild Run 5K - April 16, 2011....................37.32

State Games of MS Cross Country 5K - June 4, 2011......39.03

Slow Poke 5K - August 13, 2011....................................37.17

Rush Run For Your Heart - September 24, 2011...............37.39

Homecoming 5K - October 8, 2011.................................

Run For Home 10K - November 12, 2011.........................

Jingle Bell Run 5K - December 3, 2011............................

It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit. ~George Sheehan

• MeganWaisner Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 2, 2011

Hey Kirk

I see you've done some of the Rock and Roll series before, I will be joining you in Nashville for my first half marathon. Any suggestions on how early to get to the start line? And any other suggestions/tips for a first time half marathoner would be awesome!

Thank you,

Megan

• Gilly11 Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 31, 2010

It's great that you've started on this journey, it can be really tough to feel motivated to get out there!

Keep with itand ...Take it slow!

Run for the fun and then you will be pumped to keep on going!

Gilly

Steps to learning... is running and learning...

www.runningmyspace

• Amanda733 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011

Hiya found you! I'm starting tomorrow as you know

Take care

Amanda x

Just started C25K

• SloMI Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011

I started last week, but a neighbor asked to join and so started the C25K progra over again with her yesterday (4/19).  I'm actually happy to do week 1 again!  Never been a runner but at 35 want to get in shape.

Good luck to you and let's keep each other up to date on progress!

Sarah

• timetochangebig40 Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011

Evening all,was at work earlier and see this thread on my phone and was well chuffed to see a few others starting c25k now,so couldn't wait to get home and join the site(too bleeding awkward to do on my mobile phone lol) and ask you lot if i can jump on this with ya's...??ive been trying to find time to start this and get my head ready for this for a month or 2 now but seeing this post really gee'd me up and im deffo gonna start it this week...trouble is i wiork REALLY long hours being a truck driver (some days 14./17 hours)and ive allways got an excuse (too tired/exhausted lol)but deffo gonna be this week,probably Sunday....Sorry if i've intuded on yr post before introducing myself...(is there somewhere i do that?not had time to check yet) but will try and pop back on later or tomorow and give you all the full run down/excuses of me trying to loose the lard...must fly,got a very important fooy game to watch lol....Dave.

• Anjole Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

I started a Couch to 5k training plan in Feb and am running first 5k on May 1. Have progressed from barely being able to run 3 minutes to now at 40 minutes.

Rest days are very important. I am 61 and never ran before. Now look forward to my runs. I'm in Colorado, USA

1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...