Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1512 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2011 1:21 PM by noche333
MauiTres Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2011 11:10 AM

Nervous about week 4; knee problems

Aloha all!  I'm new to this forum and haven't had much time to look through all of the previous posts so I thought I'd try a new thread.  I'm starting week 4 of couch to 5k this afternoon and am nervous about the increased running time and pain in one of my knees.  I've diagnosed myself via Internet with what is referred to as "runner's knee" but have been having minor issues with it since before I started the program.  Since I started I have been having ongoing dull pain behind and around the knee cap as well as sharper pain after running.  I absolutely refuse to quit the program because I am so committed.  Anyone else have similar problems?

• noche333 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    1. Apr 19, 2011 7:47 PM (in response to MauiTres)
    Re: Nervous about week 4; knee problems

hello, i'm also on week 4 of the C25k program, and i was experiencing pain in my left knee for the past week or so. What i did was i used kinesiology tape to tape up my knees, then i took a few days off from the program.After a couple days, my knee was feeling better, and after today's running (W4D1), i think its finally healed. i'd recommend you to get some kinesiology tape and look up how to properly tape runner's knees. But most importantly you have to take a rest until your knee feels fine, or you'll risk even more serious damage. All these info was from my own research and recommended by my cousin who is a physiotherapist, hope it helps!

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Apr 20, 2011 11:15 AM (in response to MauiTres)

As I was building up my mileage, I would get a "4 mile" knee pain that felt a heck of a lot like Runner's Knee. I stopped increasing my distance and didn't push the speed too much and I was able to run though it. I think that there's a very fine line between pain that can be run through and pain that demands time off and only you can make that call. Just be smart about it though, being sidelined for a few days, weeks or months this early on in your new-found lifestyle would suck.

As far as treatments, I got nothin' but I hope you're able to put this behind you quickly.

BTW, just got back from Kauai and the humidity + 9 miles darn near killed me!

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• noche333 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    4. Apr 21, 2011 1:21 PM (in response to MauiTres)

hey MauiTres:

Congrats on finishing W4D1! I had a hell of a time running it in hail, lol.

My first day back to my schedule(W4D1) i felt fine, there was little to no pain at all, and I only took about 5 days off from C25K. and only missed W3D3.

Also, dont forget to stretch before running, that helps too!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points