Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3052 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2011 12:43 PM by tsh48
EastTexasSteve Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 17, 2011 6:14 AM

Will running reduce high blood pressure?

I used to run 10k races but quit years ago.  I played lots of raquetball, lifted, took 30 mile backpack trips, etc.  But marriage, kids, work, etc just takes a lot of time and about 6-years I became pretty much sedentary after a work transfer.

Now I'm 52-years old, 15 lbs too heavy, and have lost all the muscle mass.  But the big issue is the blood pressure has crept up to 140/85.  Not good.  Plus just working on the lawn mower makes me sore the next day!

If I take up jogging, will it bring the blood pressure back down?

• RunninDownADream50 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 1, 2010
    1. Apr 20, 2011 8:12 AM (in response to EastTexasSteve)
    Re: Will running reduce high blood pressure?

Jogging has definitely brought mine down.  Since I started running last fall, my bp (which was higher than yours) is down to 112/75.  Obviously, diet and other factors play a part, but I can tell a huge difference when I'm exercising regularly.  I used the Couch to 5K program to get going--great way to gradually get back in the groove of exercising.  Best of luck!

Finished C25K in November 2010 (at age 50) 

"Walk 'til you run and don't look back."  (A little running wisdom from U2)

Races finished and planned for:

Toys for Tots 5K-November 2010

Race for the Globe 5K--March 2011

Trot for Teal 5K---April 2011

• runlambrun Pro 95 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011
    2. Apr 22, 2011 12:34 PM (in response to EastTexasSteve)

actually, and i speak only for myself: i've started taking bp RX since i've started running. on the other hand: both my parents had high bp their entire adult lives (and died of strokes); my sister has had high bp since her 20's; and my brother in his 40's.  i've been able to avoid rx since about a month ago, and i'm in my late 50's.  i would say go to a doc; and do what he says, but keep running if doc says it's ok.  good luck!

Run Lamb Run

FINISHED:

3/27/11:  Angie's Half-Crazy Half Marathon: 3:59:12

4/30/11:  Toad Suck Daze 5K:  45:12

CURRENT:

Marathon Makeover

PLANNED:

Ten for Texas: October 2011

Dallas White Rock Half Marathon: December 2011

Jail Break Half Marathon - Baytown,TX : February 2012

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    3. Apr 22, 2011 12:40 PM (in response to EastTexasSteve)

While everyone is different, running has helped my blood pressure.  Two years ago I had borderline high blood pressure.  I've been running seriously for a year now.  My blood pressure on Wednesday was 116 / 60.  The only difference is running.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• SnowGoosebc Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010
    4. May 11, 2011 11:36 AM (in response to EastTexasSteve)

I had spectacular results from a years running and diet control. (Notice I did not say dieting.)  Lost eighty pounds.   Resting heart rate plummeted and

marginally high BP went to low normal.  High blood sugar (borderline diabetic) went to low normal.  I am a convert to and  some say, overly enthusiastic proponent of running and cross training.

Before you start, see a doctor.  Preferably one who is sports related.  My doctor put me through a lot of unnecessary tests after the change because he

thought the weight loss and heart changes were pathology based.  Started chasing a thyroid problem and other blood chemistries, when he was actually looking at the

blood chemistry and heart physiology changes of a fit mid- fifties male, who had under exercised and over eaten for three decades.

Good luck and congratulations on the re think.  In my opinion you will never regret taking up running!!

snowgoose

• goodoldgal Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    5. Jun 10, 2011 8:07 PM (in response to SnowGoosebc)

Hi.

I don't know if it will reduce BP but I am committed to running, feeling it can't hurt, well in my case at least, and I DID ask my doctor.

For now, I am still on the blood pressure medicine.

Also my bones are weak.

But I've been running for a couple of months now.  Haven't complete the program, have refused to do the 20 minute run.  I guess I will just have to suck it up and DO IT.  I started out and could barely complete the 1-minute runs, thought I would die.

I would recommend that if your doctor okays you for this, DO the C25K.  I have never been a runner, was brought up in the day when ladies didn't work out, etc.  This is my FIRST time as a runner, and I really like it.  And yah, I am a True Boomer, that means I am pretty old....

I am excited to go back to my doc and see if I can come off the blood pressure medication.  It is my mantra when I run:  "stronger bones, stronger bones, better BP, better BP."

Glad to see you here, keep reporting back.  Um, if I HAD kept reporting back, I am sure I would have tackled the 20-minute run sooner, just to avoid the embarassment.

Oh well.  TOMORROW'S THE DAY.

GoodOldGirl

• tsh48 Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 23, 2011 12:43 PM (in response to EastTexasSteve)

I started running regularly when I was 51.   At the time, I was borderline hypertensive and on cholesterol meds.  Was also 75 lb overweight.   Eleven years later, I am at normal weight; blood pressure; cholesterol and take no

meds of any kind.  My internist told me back when I started that I would need at least 45 min. of aerobic exercise per day to have a lasting effect on bp and cholesterol.  Good luck and I hope you have a similar result.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points