Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1120 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2011 5:53 AM by allmylove RSS
allmylove Expert 51 posts since
Apr 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2011 4:45 PM

Barefoot running?

I am very new to the whole C25K thing, will be starting tomorrow morning. 

I am intrigued about running barefoot being better than running with shoes?  Can those that do tell me more about how you go about conditioning your feet to endure running without shoes?

• RunninUgly Expert 56 posts since
    Dec 30, 2008
    1. Apr 24, 2011 5:41 PM (in response to allmylove)
    Re: Barefoot running?

I don't run barefoot, but I do all of my running in Vibram Fivefingers and the biggest advice I can give you is start slow and short. You are going to feel it in your calves as your stride will be more up on your midfoot. If you are a heel striker with your stride you will not be after a few minutes because it will hurt. Listen to your body as you get used to it and take it slow and don't rush it. Good luck and welcome to our awesome sport.

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

Jacksonville Marine Corps Half Marathon- 1 Oct 11

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge- 7-8 Jan 12

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

through the obstruction."  William James

• bichofeo Amateur 8 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011
    2. Apr 24, 2011 10:52 PM (in response to RunninUgly)
    Re: Barefoot running?

i do run barefoot (unshod) and in Vibram 5-fingers. For me, it works! I go barefoot a lot just as a matter of course & have been running since September 2009. I started out 100% in Vibram Five Fingers & gradually added unshod distance. I am now doing 1/4 to 1/2 of my weekly distance (typically 25 miles/week) completely unshod. It is a long slow process getting acclimated, and everyone is different so what worked for me may not work for you and vice versa. Please check out the barefoot running forums at Runners World (www.runnersworld.com) and you absolutely MUST read the info on barefoot running at http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/ before getting started. there are other websites as well - both pro & con. A lot of the 'con' sites seem to have a tie-in to selling athletic shoes. good luck! i'd write more but i gotta go to sleep!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...