Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1454 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2011 6:05 AM by Kellylynn322 RSS
panthermomof3 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2011 6:00 PM

I am starting c25k... god help me!

I have been walking about every other day for 2 weeks (tough with all this rain!!!) to get used to moving again after putting on the lbs. this winter. I started to put 30sec jogging/90sec walking intervals in last 2 walks for 20 minutes. I did much better than I expected and will try to extend it to 60 seconds this upcoming week. That is when I will "start" the plan. I have "running shoes" but I think I should get something that would be good for me to actually run in rather than what is on clearance.  Can anyone recommend a good starter running shoe that is under $60? I have wide feet and a high longitudinal arch but other than that ok feet.

I used to always say that the only reason I would run is if someone is chasing me. Not anymore! Now I run to be a better me!

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    1. Apr 25, 2011 3:26 AM (in response to panthermomof3)
    Re: I am starting c25k... god help me!

I don't have any advice on shoes, but I just wanted to say Congratulations for starting the journey!  If you have a running store local to you, they will be able to guide you in the right direction of budget-friendly shoes.

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• Kim1612 Amateur 17 posts since
    Apr 10, 2011
    2. Apr 25, 2011 4:20 AM (in response to panthermomof3)

I'm into my 2nd week of c25K....but working on the treadmill, I can't seem to get outside  because of the rain...plus I still have to get running shoes.

good luck!

Kim

• Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    3. Apr 25, 2011 5:28 AM (in response to panthermomof3)

Hi Panther Mom,

Welcome to the club.  You will find all the support you need on this forum.  Congrats on starting the journey to better yourself.  We are all right here with you.  My wife and I do W3D3 tomorrow or Wednesday.  Wherever you are starting, and whatever your current levels, this program will get you moving, and won't kill you.  When I started, I couldn't jog at all without getting out of breath.  Now, in Week 3, I am jogging 3 minute intervals and ready for more.  You can do it Panther. 

As far as shoes are concerned, I am with the others.  The athletic stores and running stores will be your best bet to get the perfect fit for the best price.  All I can tell you is what I did.  I went to Kohls and got a pair of Sketchers Cross Training Trail shoes.  I love these things.  They are good for walking, jogging, and hiking.  I got them on sale for about $40.  I think they retailed for $70 or something.  I'm all about finding deals.  Just because it's on clearance, doesn't mean they are bad.  And on the flip side, just because they are expensive, doesn't mean they are made for your specific feet.  I am no expert on wide feet, but my Dad has wide feet and I know he always wears New Balance. 

Good luck on this journey.  I look forward to hearing about your progress. 

Take Care,

Simon

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• Kellylynn322 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011
    4. Apr 25, 2011 6:05 AM (in response to panthermomof3)

Congrats on just getting started.  That is a big step in itself.  I started the C25K in late February and have been doing each week twice since I haven't felt ready to move on after the 1st time through it.  I started W5D1 this morning.  I often say the hardest part is just getting out of bed (I do the program at 5:30am or earlier).  Give yourself credit for each step you take.

As far as shoes go, I would try and find a running shop near you.  I started with sneakers from Kohls that we super comfy and were great for the 1st few jogs and are great for general exercise and walking but after week 3 my legs were tired and my arch was hurting.  I went to a place called Road Runner Sports here in NJ (they have them all over the country) and they measured my feet, had me stand on a pad that measured weight distribution on my feet and then videoed me running for a minute to see how my feet turn.  After all that it turns out that when I run I need a different shoe and a different size!  I was able to find a pair of sneakers on sale that cost me the same as I would have paid at Kohl's or another store and the past 3 weeks my jogs have been much better, I'm less tired and my feet/legs don't hurt.  I definitely reccomend spending a few dollars on a good pair of shoes, it has made a world of difference to me (especially as I am someone who will look for any reason to give up and say I can't).

You can do this!  Take it slow and repeat the week if you have to.  There is nothing saying you have to finish in the 8 weeks.  Do what you feel is comfortable for you.

Good luck!

Kelly

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...