Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

795 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2011 9:53 AM by vappleby1 RSS
vappleby1 Rookie 6 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2011 8:11 AM

Nutritional Requirements

I am a runner and 9 month pregnant. I stopped running about a month and half ago and switched to cross training. I miss running already!!

My question is what do you eat pre and post run?  I've recently written an article on my blog about nutritional requirements and plan to write another about specifics on diet.  I've decided to start up a blog called "Vroom!" to help me and my friends stay motivated.  I won't bug you too much about my blog but, I would appreciate my fellow runners support-- I'm trying to get a sense of the runner's diet from other people's perspective.  Check it out at www.vappleby.wordpress.com

Thanks!

Victoria

• Chocolate Thunder 303 Pro 69 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 23, 2011 3:46 AM (in response to vappleby1)
    Re: Nutritional Requirements

Victoria,

Great question.  What I eat pre/post a run depends a lot on how far I'm going.  Rarely do I "run low" that is, without eating before heading out.  i tend to subscribe to the theory that good nutrition is a process and not an event, so when I plan what I eat before a run i'm planning days in advance.  I try to eat a variety of foods and overall eat well almost all of the time.  Honestly, I do allow myself to slide a bit, but I also try to not make the junk a major part of my nutrition.

One of my favorites pre-run lately is to eat a bagel (usually plain, or an egg bagel) with almond butter and a little bit of honey on it.  If that's not available, I'll eat a granola bar.  If I'm going for a longer run (13+), i'll eat an egg too. . . sometimes hardboiled or sometimes just scrambled.  I try to keep it relatively blan before a run, too often i've had the run-burps with something that I really don't want to taste an hour later.  I'll spare you by not going into more detail right now.

Post run, I try to get some carbs in me within the first 30 min and some protein within about 45 min.  I also try to focus on hydrating and replacing electrolytes, especially when it's hot.  Lately, i've been having luck with Mix1, though I've used other products in the past.  If my run has been especially challenging, I try to focus on eating more protein over the rest of the day (about 2-3/kg) and choosing good sources of carbs.

Does that help?  If you would like more detail, just let me know.

Best wishes and good luck with the baby-

CT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...