Skip navigation

2148 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2011 7:11 PM by IronMakeover RSS
TazzieWan Amateur 12 posts since
Mar 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2011 8:47 AM

How to maintain 85-95 rpm cadence during cycling?

Hi guys,

I having troubles to maintain an average of 85-95 rpm cadence during cycling..

I tried with various gear combination with riding on flat road, but only able to sustain an average of 75 rpm.

I believe my riding is not effective for long distance.. Is there any workout or methods to bring up my average cadence?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Kevin

Sundown Ultra 100km 25.06.11

Northface 100 Duo 15.10.11

Ironman Taiwan 70.3 05.11.11

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    1. Mar 28, 2011 10:20 AM (in response to TazzieWan)
    Re: How to maintain 85-95 rpm cadence during cycling?

One of the better workouts I've seen for cadence is to overcompensate quite a bit in intervals.  Try riding at 110+ for 2 minutes - don't worry about what gear you're in.  Go two minutes fast, two slow, repeat five times.  After a few rides doing that, you should be able to comfortably bring up your "natural" cadence a few RPM.  There isn't a magic cadence you need to hit to be successful, though.  I've read that higher cadences lead to better run splits, but I haven't noticed it for myself.

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009

Dr. Miles is right on. You need to practice high RPM intervals. Maybe as short as 30 seconds on, one minute off. Do as many as you can and still maintain the high cadence for the entire set. Once you can't, it's time to recover. Over time, the number you can do will increase. Then start increasing the length of time. If you have a trainer you can set the bike on, all the better. You are not worrying about your actual speed at this point, just an efficient pedaling motion. Also do one legged drills (best on a trainer) so you develop equally on both legs.

BT

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    4. Apr 5, 2011 10:10 AM (in response to TazzieWan)

As I said, one-legged drills are much easier and safer on a trainer. However, out on a stretch of flat road with little traffic, either unclip one foot and hold it out or up out of the way of the revolving pedal (awkward) OR just concentrate on applying force through the pedal rotation with one leg for 30 seconds, equally weight both for recovery then do the other leg.

BT

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    5. Apr 25, 2011 7:11 PM (in response to TazzieWan)

Hey Kevin,

It took me a long time to bring up my average cadence so I know what you're working on here.

There are a bunch of articles within active:

- Joe Friel shares ideas/tips in this one, including spin-ups where "over the course of 30 seconds or so, gradually raise your cadence until you start bouncing on the saddle."

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/Off-season_drills_to_boost_your_pedaling_skills.htm

- And this one is good, FastPedal intervals, similar to spin-ups.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Three_supercharged_early-season_cycling_workouts.htm

- I remember one of the past studies about bike cadence impacting the run, that there was an advantage early on the run segment for cyclists for quicker cadences, but that evened out before the finish line.

I hope your training is going well,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...