Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22858 Views 152 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2011 6:24 AM by GramaVal Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Previous Next
  • JLynnH Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 9, 2011

Deb- Don't feel bad about the chocolate. I didn't even add my pps last night after dinner!

I ran for three minutes, walked 3 yesterday and I do that again tomorrow.  I hope I can handle running for five min by the end of the week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• supastar101 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm doing the c25k as well, w1d2 was today. Never really done any running before other than the occasional sprint after my dog when he disappears off into the distance, but I've had a bit of a change to my living circumstances (break up, moving back with parents - the joy!) so it's made me think about changing other aspects of my life as well. I'm planning to use this opportunity to get fit and hopefully lose some of the excess bagagge I'm carrying around my middle. I graduate in July, so it would be great to have some healthy habits to get me settled into wherever I move to after that!

I'll admit, I was pretty aprehensive about getting started - I wasn't even sure I could run for a minute, let alone do the whole days programme, but I surprised myself (or rather, my body surprised me!) and I managed it. My dog seemed to enjoy it too!

I found myself looking forward to todays run, and although I have a bit of achiness (achyness?!) now, it's not bad, and overall I feel great!

A few people mentioned the runkeeper app - I used it today, much much easier than trying to keep an eye on the time and I could listen to my tunes as I went.

Jenny

• jerbrett Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 7, 2008

Hey gang, I thought I'd chime in . . . truth is, I've been looking for a thread to start/join.  I feel like I need some motivation as I'm a long time part time jogger/couch potatoer. Just when I get good at one of them, I some how fall to the other. I've been trying to run consistently since I've been in college (10+ years ago) and I've only successfully completed 2 5Ks.  After my first one in 2005, I developed shin splintz and every once in a while I feel them egging me to just to run . . . I dare you. Two years ago I once again competed in a 5K and even though I was near the back of the pack, I was happy I jogged the entire way.  Since then, I've had 2 kids, lost my job, and started a master's program.  Not only can I not find the time to run, but I just don't have the energy!!

My wife and I have recently joined a Planet Fitness that just opened up less than 10 minutes from our house and ideally I would love to get there before anybody wakes up (since they're open 24 hours).  Since we joined last month, I think I've gone 3 or 4 times.  I'm 37-38, 5' 5" and 200 pounds.  In 2005 I was able to get down to 168, my lowest since before college.  Passover/Easter are over (but there's always something, isn't there? - my 2nd son's birthday is tomorrow and we're planning pizza!!!) so I figured I have nothing holding me back.  My mother started a combination Atkins/Paleo/South Beach life plan and a lot of what they preach makes sense.  Ok . . . I feel as though I'm just writing stream of consciously.

My point is, I needed a way to vent my frustrations, find a group to help motivate me (work out with me), and perhaps to complain as well, knowing I'm not the only one.  I need someone to be held accountable to and with, and my wife is just as bad as me (worse!)  

My goals? Lose weight, be able to run a 5K by my birthday in June, and not suffer from shin splintz in the process.

Thank you!

J

• RunninUgly Expert 56 posts since
    Dec 30, 2008

Congrats to all the new runners. Remember to keep it fun and listen to your body. And Mkid you are going to rock the 5k because I am going to be there to push you.

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

Jacksonville Marine Corps Half Marathon- 1 Oct 11

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge- 7-8 Jan 12

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

through the obstruction."  William James

• mkidanderson Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011

Thanks.  I'm beginning to think you enjoy pushing me.  That's ok though... it works. 

Dec 30, 2008

I do enjoy pushing you. Just don't enjoy listening to you whine.    J/K. 

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

• mkidanderson Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011

You smarty-pants!  I'd argue, but I know I whine about those darn trail runs!  Anyone else find trail running to be a pain, or is it just me???

Dec 30, 2008

Haha! And yes the trail runs are a bit different and harder. I enjoy the scenery but not dodging the roots and all that.  lol

Jim

Upcoming Races:

• baymacae Expert 50 posts since
    Apr 21, 2011

Yesterday I did W2D1, and I was so excited by the end of it...I made it through all of the runs!!!  I was suprised at how well my body is adjusting to running :-)  Tomorrow is D2...crossing my fingers that it goes just as well.

I love hearing all of your stories...keep pushing yourselves!!

Deb--I follow Tony Horton on Twitter, and the other day he posted this "Perfectionism is not an attribute in my opinion so don't beat yourself up when you miss a few workouts or eat something."  I thought it was motivational.

<3 Bayley

blog: 

baymacae.blogspot.com

race results:

Mudbug Madness 5k (June 2011) -- 36:49.5

Firecracker 5k (July 2011)--32:15.6

Hot Pursuit 5k (July 2011)--32:43.9

• manybcs Expert 45 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011

Hi all!  Just found this thread and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm in central Florida and start W3R1 tomorrow.  I don't have human running partners but my dogs like to come.  So far it's a blast and I'm looking forward to tomorrow...must go to bed soon.  I'm also trying to lose weight so I also started the no s diet.  It's working so far and the first eating plan that I can see myself maintaining for life.  I'm down maybe 7 pounds, but some is due to the stomach flu I got Saturday night.....blech...but a great way to avoid chocolate eggs!!!!  Haven't entered my 1st 5K but would like to do one next March up in the panhandle of Florida that allows dogs.  One of my girls, Kelda, is a running fiend.  I'm enjoying reading about everyone's progress.  Very inspiring!   Laura

• TexasBlackRose Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011

ugh.............. so, hubby and i both decided that we wanted to jog today cause neither one of us was sore. so, he got off late this morning, about 9:20ish and we got ready got the dogs together and headed out. we got to the feild and there was a group of high schoolers playing tenis by the feilds. so.. being the self councous person i am, i decided we should go try the trail instead. bad bad bad idea. I already know that i hav shin splints, but, i thought just maybe with joging slowly, it would be ok. nope. 2nd jog and i was already hurting.

we ended up turning around, going back to the feild and doing only a total of 7 rounds of jogging because i started hurting so bad i couldnt get my legs to move any faster then a  walk.

so not happy with myself. just wish i would of joged on the feild and ignored the teenagers. its not like they were paying attention to us anyways, they were doing a school program. ugh, im so mad at myself! im hoping i didnt ruin my legs for the rest of the week as i wanted to get another work out in on thursday. might be waiting all the way tell sunday now >.<

• manybcs Expert 45 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011

Don't feel bad, TexasBlackRose.  I swore I'd never admit this, but what the heck.  My first day of C25K I happily went out in the early dark (to keep anyone but my dogs from seeing me attempt to run), started up the program and began to walk.  Then two REAL runners came up my street.  They were real runners in that they were a) running and b) managing to talk while running.  I worried about passing them as walked down to the end of my street, knowing I'd pass them on my way back because I live on a culdesac.  Yup....just as the voice said begin your first run now, here they came.  I was so worried about being out of breath that I decided the only thing I could do was to...wait for it...hold my breath while I ran past them.  Yeah...that's the ideal way to fly under the radar...they will never notice the only other person on the street, the one running with lots of border collies, and the one who evidently doesn't need to breathe.  So I run past them, wondering if I'll pass out before I fall down, or fall down before I pass out, and then decide I'm far enough away that I can risk taking a breath, and then try to recover my breath "quietly" so they don't turn to stare at the person gulping air on the side of the road.  Not a pretty sight....or experience.  Ahhhh....vanity.

So this morning they go by again and I'm still not too keen on running in front of them.  I avoided it this morning because one of my dogs had to "relieve herself" right as they passed and we were waiting for her.  Oddly enough I'm much less embarassed to clean up after my dog than run pathetically in front of REAL runners.  Sigh...that's just sad I think. 

• TexasBlackRose Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011

*giggles @ manybcs* I am SO with you! i would clean up my dogs poo instead of jog by someone! rofl. i just felt bad cause i didnt get to finish, but next time we go i wont let anyone else bother me, im SO over it! i am doing this for myself and no one else and if they don't wanna look they don't have to! *dances*

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...