Skip navigation

3742 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 7:29 PM by MaryFuda RSS
MarcinK Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2011 2:21 AM

Are the Advantage Basketball Camps worth paying for?

I am considering to register my 14yr old son for ball handling sessions with Advantage Basketball Camp. Are they any good? Did anyone of you use their services? Is it really so effective?

• senorswag2 Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011

Not effective

• PowderRiver Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011

I am not familiar with the specific camp you refer to but these are some things I look for before I recommend a camp to a parent on my team.

1. Kid's Involvement- by now you should know wheter or not your kid want's to play ball or if it's not for them

2. Content vs. Cost- camps aren't cheap so you should get your moneys worth. Does the camp guarantee 1 on 1 instruction, what is the duration, what         facilities will be used. These are all questions you need to ask yourself.

3. Faculty- Who is teaching at the camp, what is their backround and expertise and are they worth what you are paying for.

I would recommend you talk with you kid's coaches. They will be able to research and perhaps give you some other things to think about.

• Advparent Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 16, 2011

My kid currently plays for an Advantage AAU team.  This organization seems very disorganized.  Practices are often cancelled at the last minute, coach arrives late and leaves early, and seems bored during practice.  There is little skill development during practice, but lots of yelling at the kids during games to encourage "winning".  This program seems emblematic of the worst of AAU basketball, think Miami Heat!  wish we could have gotten a refund.

• MaryFuda Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4. Jul 25, 2012 7:29 PM (in response to MarcinK)
    Are the Advantage Basketball Camps worth paying for?

Trying to put this on any blogs about Advantage Basketball camps - don't waste your money on them! My son went to the one day 4 hour "Shooting Academy" today which unbeknownst to us coincided with another camp that was going on M-W so some kids had been there all week and some showed up for the shooting academy. JD Taylor from the University of Washington was supposed to be there to teach the kids his "unparallelled skills" but he was there for literally 5 minutes and didn't do anything with the kids. They started 20 minutes late, nobody ever even asked my son his name, let alone checked him in or even asked for the waivers that the website and the confirmation emails say are required  - I still have them. Each time I poked my head in to see check on my son there wasnt an adult anywhere near the kids let alone teaching them anything. After the 3rd check I decided to actually come in and watch - just in time for their 45 MINUTE BREAK. The kids started shooting themselves since no adults were telling them what to do. The "coach" that was there was working with 2 girls who apparently were getting a private lesson. One kid in my son's group was picking on another kid and I had to step in to make sure it stopped - the "coach" was completely oblivious. THEN the coach came over to tell them to play a shooting game and took off to do his private lesson again. At that point I went up to him and said I was getting pretty mad - first they were on a 45 minute break and now they're playing a game my son can play in my driveway so where's the teaching of how to shoot? He said he's had  20 years of experience and that the younger group worked their tails off earlier so they're ending on a a more relaxed level. I said each time I peaked in there were no adults near them and he said, "I understand what you're saying." and walked away. This camp was a joke and I've already requested a refund. We'll see.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...