Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1399 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2011 4:37 PM by ZombieKnee RSS
Road2Slimdom Amateur 31 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2011 10:35 AM

Trainers for Running?

Trainers for Running? ... Do you think they make a difference?

Is it easier to run? Or is it that they just reduce the risk of injury and are kinder to your joints?

What actually are the benefits of have special trainers for running? 

Where did you buy yours? 

How much did they cost? 

I've checked my 'gait' ... I'm 'normal'

Your thoughts on this would be great 

xx

Deb xx

Postive Thoughts Create ~ Positive Feelings ~ Create Positive Actions

Started WW on 10th Jan 2011 ~ 1st 8lb's loss so far

BMI down to 27.54

I can and I will do this ~ nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough!

• Sarah Goldspink Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 26, 2011
    1. Apr 26, 2011 11:34 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)
    Re: Trainers for Running?

Hi there,

I don't run everyday or anything of the sort and am just beginning to run 5 & 10k's in my local area however I couldn't imagine running without trainers.  Sorry I can't help you with the actual technical reasons a pair of trainer would help you over anything else (except maybe barefoot -which THEY say is the natural way to run and is becoming very trendy) -do you mean as opposed to keds or converse, like flat shoes with no support?  I got mine at a local running shoe store, I just googled "running shoes, name of my town, ca" and of course the big sports stores popped up but so did the specialized ones as well.  At the specialized store, both feet were measured, I was asked to run down the block and then shoes were brought to me that corresponded to both the way I run and measurement.  my shoes were $100.  of course you can spend however much you like and then also I could have gone to my local Target and got a pair for $30. I'm 44 (so a little older!) and I would like to think that my $100 pair helps all the things you listed -risk of injury, foot&ankle support and I believe in conjunction with these things make it "easier" to run because my feet are happy and my knees are too!  for me going to the specialized store was fun and now I'm signed up with them and I get email for running events in my area.  They also had a great selection of running bras and socks and all things running, I picked up a muscle roller which now I swear by for muscle recovery!  I also bought a brand so maybe next time if I can't afford a $100 pair of running shoes from the specialized shop I could go to the big sports stores and just pick up a prolly cheaper pair in the same brand but then I would miss out on supporting my local running shop, so I think I would budget over doing that. However, yes in my opinion and for me trainers for running are a must have.

Take Care, Good Luck & Happy Running,

Sarahxxx

• MrNibbles Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011
    2. Apr 26, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

Proper running shoes will protect your joints (knees in my case), your feet and your shins. Once you start getting shin splints running becomes a pain, literally. A good running shoe should also provide support for your foot and help prevent sprains.

And they help you run faster and easier as compared to sandals or boots.
    I would recommend at least getting a pair of cross-training shoes to start off with. I like New Balance myself and they have decent shoes in the $40-50 range. Or you can get cheaper stuff at Walmart that will still be better than no trainers. Or spend >100, depends on your budget and how much you plan to use them.

One thing to note is that the rubber in any athletic shoe will harden and it will lose it's shock absorption qualities after a while. For this reason alone it is probably a good idea to get new shoes every couple of years, unless of course you wear them out quicker than that.

Here are some links you may find interesting:

http://news.runtowin.com/2007/07/23/running-shoe-faq.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/350355-what-are-the-benefits-of-running-shoes/

http://www.shopwiki.com/wiki/Running-Shoes

2011:

Loop The Lakes 5K Vernon Hills 4/30/11: 28:49

Fox River Running Club Weight Watchers® Walk-It Day 5k Mchenry 5/22/11: 29:32

Grant Township 5K 2011 8/14/11: 26:13

Long Grove Turkey Trot 2011 11/24/11: 27:43

• ZombieKnee Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    4. Apr 27, 2011 4:37 PM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

I can't imagine not running with running shoes. I spent a month at a small town about 2.5 hours away from where I live, and while I was there, I was cleared to start running again from after my surgery. This town is a really small town, they don't have the big chain stores, it's all independent store owners basically. So they have 1 running store that I was able to find online, and so I went there. I explained to him that I just had surgery, and was looking to start running. He measured my feet, looked at the wear on the shoes I was walking in (he wouldn't let me run to analyze my gait as I had no running shoes and he didn't want me running barefoot or in my walking sneakers). He recommended a pair of New Balance sneakers that apparently have a lot of shock absorbing gel thing in the heel, so less impact is going to the knee. They were being sold for about $140 I think, but he gave me a 20% discount just because. I would recommend going to a specialty shop, now that I went to one, it would be hard to go to a chain store. They owner spent a lot of time with me, knew what he was doing, knew what he was selling, and told me the best places for me to test out the shoes, he pointed me towards the flattest part of the town.

I'm too paranoid to try to run without my sneakers, although lately, my knee was bugging me again, but I think it's more of an issue from the surgery and not from the sneakers. I'm not having any problems with shin splints or pain in the other knee though, and I remember shin splints and arch pain being a big problem for me the first time I did C25K in a pair of shoes pickced up from a DSW.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points