Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

771 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2011 5:13 PM by RobinfromMaine RSS
Destina23 Rookie 5 posts since
Mar 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 23, 2011 10:44 AM

5K basic Runner-Running while pregnant?

Hi All,

I've been running for about a little over a year, running on the slower end of about a 10-11 minute mile depending on the day/time, ect.  I usually run for 3 miles, walk for 1 at the end on a treadmill for about 5-6 times a week.  I just found out I'm pregnant for the second time.  Total surprise as I was just going to start training more.   My doctor said I can continue running at the same speed/time as long as I feel comfortable but couldn't offer much more advice.  I've been looking for postings on this, but mostly keep coming across runners who run way more than me a week.

Any of you run while pregant and have any advice?  I'm only 6 weeks and have kept up running as I had just found out last week.  I've been a bit more tired than usually so I'm running closer to my 11 minute mile.  No cramping, feeling good.  The only thing that worries me is that I feel quite sweaty/leaky down there.  Sorry for TMI.  What's normal???  I'm just a nervous because I didn't run with my first pregnancy and have no idea what to think!!

Please help!!!

• buddy love Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 5, 2008
    1. Apr 23, 2011 12:44 PM (in response to Destina23)
    Re: 5K basic Runner-Running while pregnant?

I ran all the way too day before I had my son jan 2010. You should read running & pregnancy by Chris Lundgren it only book I could on running & pregnancy while I was pregnant. I like it. I hope that help.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Apr 23, 2011 5:53 PM (in response to Destina23)

I did with my second pregnancy up to the day that I delivered, so keep running and good luck

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    3. Apr 26, 2011 5:13 PM (in response to Destina23)

The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology has an official position: it is OK to exercise as long as you can carry on a short conversation. In later pregnancy watch out for injuries as your center of gravity changes, and your ligaments soften so that the pelvic bones can stretch apart.

Several years ago one of the national newspapers had a picture of a very health wholesome appearing young woman supporting a very heatlh wholesome looking 1 year old toddler -- both as normal as they could be. The picture was posted because the young woman hadn't initially known she was pregnant. She figured her missed period was because of stress from being the goalie for the gold-medal Olympic ice hockey team. She was 6 weeks pregnant during the Olympics.

Good luck!

Robin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points