Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2099 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2011 6:57 AM by camcat82
Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
Mar 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2011 9:29 AM

Running and talking

I keep reading articles that say you can make the miles pass more quickly by talking with someone. I can not imagine being able to chat and run. Does that come with time? Also, I just read an article that said if you can hear your breathing, you're pace is too fast. Seriously?

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    1. Apr 26, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to Michelle74149)
    Re: Running and talking

I'm looking forward to replies on this one.  While I have heard that when you're running you should be able to maintain a conversation with someone, I haven't heard that you shouldn't be able to hear yourself breathe.  I sure hope that's not the case!  Otherwise, my 4.5 mph is too fast!!

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    2. Apr 26, 2011 9:47 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

Running with someone will definitely help the miles pass more quickly.  It's a good thing to do during the days of your long runs, which should be done at an easier pace than your 5K pace.  The long runs are meant to build endurance and the conversation is a good indicator of whether you are going too fast or not - if you can't talk then you are going too fast for the easy run.  As for hearing one's breathing, I remember the first time I ran without my iPod.  It was so weird hearing myself breathe, and I wasn't even gasping or struggling - I had just started running and was warming up.  I had given up listening to music while I ran for Lent, so now after almost two months of no music, I am used to it.  I no longer hear myself breathing, partly because my endurance is a little better but also because I am used to listening to my breathing.  When I am near the end of the long run or during a tempo run, when my breathing is a lot more pronounced, it is a good indicator that I am working too hard and I should slow down or it's time to end the run.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Apr 26, 2011 9:48 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

Depends on when/where you are fitness wise and training wise.  My easy/recovery days I talk a lot 2-3 days a week/speed days no talking at all/long runs we talk for the 1st hour or so and less as the run goes.  It does make it go by faster, when a good conversation get going.  But I don't like talking on my quality days.  Good luck, have fun!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    5. Apr 26, 2011 12:10 PM (in response to freesia777)

I'm amazed at the misinformation floating around.

When you get more advanced, you will have different "types" of runs.  As a newbie, though, you should take your time with your running so that you don't get injured.

The old saw about "being able to talk", however, is good advice for starting runners and long runs.  That doesn't mean you have to be able to recite the Gettysburg Address without interruption.  You would be amazed how much information can be conveyed through grunts, huffs and short phrases.  The point is that you are not running all out.

With respect to not being able to hear yourself breath, WHAT????  I've read other posts where people have stated that they were told to breath through the nose while running.  Your body needs oxygen to run, and the only way for mammals to get it is to breath.  Take big, deep and, if that's the way you are, loud breaths.  I personally exhale very loudly when running up steep hills.

Good luck, and run long.

Surfing Vol

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    7. Apr 26, 2011 3:18 PM (in response to Michelle74149)

I can't hear my breathing no matter how hard I try so I quit trying to listen to it. I can talk while I run but not when I first started (I could barely run 1/4 mile before running out of breath). I ran in the park today and found myself jump to grab tree branches to keep me motivated(no idea where the energy came from).

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    9. Apr 27, 2011 6:57 AM (in response to Michelle74149)

Ummm, interesting articles lol.

I'd have to say I agree with Surfing_Vol though. Talking would mean being able to get a short sentence out every so often - not a full on conversation. If can chat as normal you're probably not going hard enough and if you can't manage it at all you're probably going too hard. It's just a rough guideline though.

And no chance I'd be able to run without hearing my breathing. I keep steady breathing within the 'talk test' guidelines in general but it's definitely audible. I find focussing on the sound (as well as my form) helps me tune out the voice in my head telling me it's feeling hard and I should stop. If I'm not in pain and my breathing is still good then I don't need to stop - it's just the lazy negative voice trying to sabotage me, so having something else to focus on helps ignore it.

(and now everyone is going to think I'm nuts talking about the voices in my head hehehe)

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...