Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3037 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2011 7:42 PM by Rubyseventyfour RSS
Rubyseventyfour Rookie 7 posts since
Apr 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2011 6:07 AM

Newbie here :   Running and breathing !

G'day,

My name is Helen and I am just starting to run. I have a deadline to meet in August this year for applications into the Police Force, and a friend of mine suggested this site

My problem is trying to breathe while running. I have started from scratch : eg run 1 minute, walk 1 minute etc, which is ok, but anymore than 2 minutes I can't go any futher

any suggestions on how to get my breathing under control.?

Thanks  x

• Team RRT AGH Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    1. Apr 26, 2011 7:39 AM (in response to Rubyseventyfour)
    Re: Newbie here : Running and breathing !

I have several suggestions.

1.  I don't know what pace you are running at, but you may want to consider that you are running too fast, try slowing things down just a bit, try a shuffle and as your endurence increases so will your speed.

2.  If you use an ipod, you may want to download or purchace some running cadence.  Candence is designed to help regulate your breathing.  All branches of the military use it while running in formations.  The person leading the group calls out the cadence and the formation repeats it back.

3.  Check out Jeff Galloways site, he is a former olympic runner and has run in something like 250 marathons and helps to train people to run races of all different distances.  He promotes a walk, run, walk method to prevent developing injury.  He also discourages stretching because people often injure (sp) themselves by overstretching.

4.  Try inhaling each time or every other time your left foot hits the ground or tredmill.

Ok so it wasn't severl but a few things to get you started, hope it is helpful.

Jennifer

• Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    2. Apr 26, 2011 7:40 AM (in response to Rubyseventyfour)

Hi Helen,

Many New runners on this site, myself included, had the same issue.  The answer is very individual, but if you start the C25K program, you will notice that pace and distance are not part of the workouts.  Only time is a measure.  Distance and speed do not matter, and those two parameters are what gets you into trouble with breathing.  You need to take it slow, very slow.  During Week 1, just jog slowly, and walk normally.  The point is to move, not to move quickly.  If you can't breathe while you jog, you are jogging too fast, it's that simple.  If you can't hold a conversation, you are going too fast.  Slow and steady.  You have plenty of time before August, so take it slow.  I am finishing up Week 3 tonight, and I can already see the difference.  I never thought I could run 3 minute intervals again without falling over out of breath, but I am doing it, and so can you.  If you live in the heat like I do, I find it much easier to run in the evening after dark, when it's cool outside and calm.  Stay hydrated and take it easy and you will get there.  Your friend was right to send you here, and now we will all do it together.

Good Luck Helen and keep us posted on your progress.

Simon.

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    3. Apr 26, 2011 9:21 AM (in response to Rubyseventyfour)

G'day and welcome Helen.  This site will help you out as there are plenty of people here to support you and you can get a lot of advice, whether it's from your posts or just read up on others' posts.  You just started running so it will take some time to get your endurance up.  The good news is August is a few months away.  Not sure how far you have to run in August but if you have the will, there is a way.  There are many online training plans you can use to build up to the distance needed and more.  I didn't start running at all until late September last year and by January I was able to complete a half marathon in a little over two hours - I did walk portions of the race but I ran most of it.  The basic answer is to get out there and run a little more each week than the previous week.  Make sure you take your rest days seriously and to listen to your body.  If it tells you to rest, do it.  Good luck and come here often for your questions or to share your story, or anything else you want to share.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• allmylove Expert 51 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011
    5. Apr 26, 2011 6:46 PM (in response to Rubyseventyfour)

Congrats on starting, I'm also starting this week.  I remember way back when I entered the military I would pace my breathing to my steps, and would breath in for two and exhale for 3.  thats what worked for me at the time, didn't really work on Monday and had a really hard time pacing myself.  I too had a really difficult time breathing and I might go out early tomorrow morning for day 2.

I'm curious though, whats the beep test?

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    6. Apr 27, 2011 7:03 AM (in response to Rubyseventyfour)

Don't really have anything different to add. Just wanted to say take it slow and give yourself some time and you will get there. Good luck!

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• runchickyrun Amateur 35 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    9. Apr 27, 2011 11:06 AM (in response to Rubyseventyfour)

Hello!

Congrats on starting the program. I too have had concerns about my breathing and am by no means an expert but here are a few things that are working for me:

First, I realized part of the reason my breathing is off is because there a little anxiety about running in the first place!  So, I've started taking a few minutes before even going to run to sit quietly and do some "belly breathing", in other words, I am taking breaths where my tummy is moving in and out with each breath instead of breathing in my chest (learned this in yoga and scuba diving that you can breath more deeply with your belly), it seems to relax me and helps me breath better.

Second, I have decided to trust my body - because it seems pretty smart!  My body seems to do just fine breathing, beating my heart, digesting my food and doing all sorts of other things all day long without any interference from my brain!  I find if I don't work against it by worrying about it and trying to decide how much air i need, I am much more relaxed and can breath easier.

Good luck!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Apr 27, 2011 4:05 PM (in response to Rubyseventyfour)

Hi, just wanted to say Good Luck

• islandteacher Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    11. Apr 27, 2011 6:01 PM (in response to Rubyseventyfour)

Hi! I am just getting back to running after too many years on my butt! However, I am asthmatic. When I was a kid I wanted to play sports and had trouble with the breathing. My pulmonologist gave me this advice and I still do it , he said to quietly, to my self count my footsteps as I run. The act of speaking out loud ensures that you are breathing and using foot steps can help keep it rythmic. It works for me...maybe can help you too?

Jen

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points